F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Kia Stinger GTS
ARMA SPEED

08-27-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Kia Stinger GTS

It's official I actually drove one of the newer ISG auto Stinger GTS's and it really wasn't what I expected. As I had ordered a 340i (which went awry yet again) I'll compare the two.

Let's start with negatives regarding the Kia, the front end screams econobox and the GMFV is laughable making it an expensive financial proposition, also it's a Kia. I'm not a badge snob but I've dismissed them out of hand before due to the fact.

- Engine + Drivetrain

The KIA pulled like a freight train in any gear at any speed, it was surreal how it progressed at such a noticeable rapid pace with a slug of torque available at any speed or gear. The 340i felt gutless in comparison and I've driven two now.. That KIA 3.3 is a peach of an engine.

In years gone by I've encountered some rather dumb auto boxes (Jag with ZF and Alfa before ZF) but the Kia ISG never searched for gears, it had power on tap whenever I wanted it and could be ruffled in the blink of an eye. Is it better than BMW's ZF 8AT? I honestly couldn't tell any difference.

One extremely awesome feature was "smart mode" which sets up the car dependant on the way one drives it without having to revert / change modes.

Economy even when pushed remained around 23 MPG (if that matters at all on a 370HP car)..

- Handling + Suspension

Despite its massive weight which became apparent when town driving the Kia felt remarkably nimble when making swift progression with half decent steering feedback and direct positioning (unlike most BMW's). The 340i always felt linear in comparison, it is what it is if you catch my drift whereas the Kia retains a dual personality.

In terms of firmness both the Kia and 340i are on equal terms but the former retains composure when going over pot holes etc. the 340i suspension crashes through the cabin when travelling on our roads. From the gist of reviews regarding AC Schnitzer the Kia seems to manage things in a similar vein. Firm, but not too firm, comfortable and capable of handling our roads.

What's utterly surprising is how the Kia would constantly kick out its rear in a playful but none dangerous way (due to its well designed limited slip diff). It feels like the GTS was designed to have a slippy back end whereas the 340i pushed often felt like it was designed to kill me.

Of course I bet the Kia won't be an M3 level track car but it IS a whole heap of fun.

ICE + Tech

Let's just put it this way, I thought every Harmon Kardon sound system was utter rubbish until I heard the 15 speaker setup in the Kia.. It's excellent and I've done some sound engineering in the past where £15K speakers aren't unusual.

Heads up display is fantastic, it literally comes with everything you could possibly ever want. Apple carplay / Android, heck even the steering rake is electronic. 5 stars all around..

Oh, it's all standard too..

Interior

From the reviews I'd read I was expecting Ford quality, in black trim it looks up market, the seat leather / padding is far more comfortable than the 340i. I'll be straight here, the F30 340i looks cheap in comparison and unless spaceship design is your thing even the G20 won't be much of an upgrade..

Sure some of the plastic buttons on the mid console let the Kia down but apart from that it felt like a luxury car from top to bottom and rather solid to boot. Wind / road noise levels etc. were probably better than the G20..

Summary

I'm not known for pulling punches, given the opportunity to slag off this car I'd of been straight on it but it's the first extremely fun coupe / sedan type (whatever) I've driven in years. The Kia was remarkably better than the 340i in nearly all regards, this is what the 340i should have been.. I even preferred it over the M340i ..

Before one comes to the conclusion I'm "trolling" or beating up on BMW.. Before I test drove this car I literally thought no other car under £50K was even worth looking at.

That includes the Alfa and the Jaguar XE, Kia have made a truly exciting car for the enthusiast that is also an extremely capable all rounder, not even the G20 M340i tempts me over it.

Ultimately it seems my BMW ownership ends here and believe me I never in a million years thought it would end with the word KIA. Porsche, Maserati? Maybe, but for the price it's just a little too tempting.

Last edited by Firaxis; 08-27-2020 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 4
Rbrown2765.50
G50954.50
Soul_Glo13347.00
kzg19691299.00
      08-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

I tried one a couple of years ago and liked it for some of the same reasons. They’re fully loaded, no need to add options, and a great place to sit like you say.

Nicer than my 440 GC that I had at the time.

Two things stopped me getting it though. At that time I did 25,000 miles a year. The Kia V6 is woeful economy wise compared to the B58. I’m guessing it’s just a really old simple engine. Or a poorly engineered new one.

The main thing though was the servicing requirements. They require servicing every 6,000 miles which is truly ridiculous in a modern car. I’d have been in for a service every 12 weeks. 3 services to every 1 service in the 440.

Too much of a faff, so I ruled it out on that basis, despite really liking it.
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      08-27-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I tried one a couple of years ago and liked it for some of the same reasons. They’re fully loaded, no need to add options, and a great place to sit like you say.

Nicer than my 440 GC that I had at the time.

Two things stopped me getting it though. At that time I did 25,000 miles a year. The Kia V6 is woeful economy wise compared to the B58. I’m guessing it’s just a really old simple engine. Or a poorly engineered new one.

The main thing though was the servicing requirements. They require servicing every 6,000 miles which is truly ridiculous in a modern car. I’d have been in for a service every 12 weeks. 3 services to every 1 service in the 440.

Too much of a faff, so I ruled it out on that basis, despite really liking it.
Yeah the 6K servicing thing is a real kicker but on a high performance petrol I always swap the oil / service at 8K anyway.. Although I have a G20 330i to suck up the motorway miles so it's really a weekend / B road / coast trip car.

As a motorway muncher as you say it's not exactly an ideal car.! Far from.. In terms of economy though the 340i for me returned 1MPG more, where the Kia seems to respond better is under duress. You will never see 40 MPG out of it (ever) but in a mix combined with a heavy foot it's about the same..

Also it is quite a bit more powerful.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firaxis View Post
Yeah the 6K servicing thing is a real kicker but on a high performance petrol I always swap the oil / service at 8K anyway.. Although I have a G20 330i to suck up the motorway miles so it's really a weekend / B road / coast trip car.

As a motorway muncher as you say it's not exactly an ideal car.! Far from.. In terms of economy though the 340i for me returned 1MPG more, where the Kia seems to respond better is under duress. You will never see 40 MPG out of it (ever) but in a mix combined with a heavy foot it's about the same..

Also it is quite a bit more powerful.
It’s a fair bit heavier as well. Can’t say I noticed much difference in power and performance when I drove it, fairly similar were my thoughts, and I’d driven to the dealer in my 440i. Still good though and enjoyed my test drive.

The servicing is truly ridiculous , I see they even service the 2 litre petrol in the same intervals, 6 months or 6,000 miles. Probably how they pay for the extended warranties on most of their cars.

We see it differently I think on what it should be used for. To me it should be a perfect motorway muncher. It’s big, bigger than a 3 or 4 series, it’s very comfortable and the engine is effortless. As a weekend car/B road car I’d have something not quite as big and comfortable. A big 4 door saloon should be an every day car to me.

But, if you like it, go for it. I enjoyed my drive in it and liked its looks and interior, just wasn’t keen on a couple of other parts of the overall package that became deal breakers. They don’t seem as important for your intended use.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It’s a fair bit heavier as well. Can’t say I noticed much difference in power and performance when I drove it, fairly similar were my thoughts, and I’d driven to the dealer in my 440i. Still good though and enjoyed my test drive.

The servicing is truly ridiculous , I see they even service the 2 litre petrol in the same intervals, 6 months or 6,000 miles. Probably how they pay for the extended warranties on most of their cars.

We see it differently I think on what it should be used for. To me it should be a perfect motorway muncher. It’s big, bigger than a 3 or 4 series, it’s very comfortable and the engine is effortless. As a weekend car/B road car I’d have something not quite as big and comfortable. A big 4 door saloon should be an every day car to me.

But, if you like it, go for it. I enjoyed my drive in it and liked its looks and interior, just wasn’t keen on a couple of other parts of the overall package that became deal breakers. They don’t seem as important for your intended use.
Ha yeah, probably how they cover the 7 year warranty.. Which is kinda tempting when you can get a 2 YO with a longer warranty than a BMW.

Yeah I guess we do see it differently, for me it's a mini M5 and I love the M5 (dream car) but I'd never pony up for it, also the Camaro but they don't sell it here.. Kinda the perfect all rounder, I have to say though in terms of performance both my manual (torque limited) M140i and 340i (X2) felt gutless in comparison, it felt more torquey than my diesel.

Thing is there was a lot of criticisms about the 2017 model and the auto, not sure if anything changed there? Can't say I follow KIA updates for obvious reasons (don't care)..

It's a shame such silly things ruin it for some, sorry to say but as an overall car despite its quirks is far better than any BMW I've driven which is a tall order considering I hold them in very high regards (compared to any other manufacturer). In V2 coming 2021 I do hope they fix these slights.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
It's official I actually drove one of the newer ISG auto Stinger GTS's and it really wasn't what I expected. As I had ordered a 340i (which went awry yet again) I'll compare the two.

Let's start with negatives regarding the Kia, the front end screams econobox and the GMFV is laughable making it an expensive financial proposition, also it's a Kia. I'm not a badge snob but I've dismissed them out of hand before due to the fact.

- Engine + Drivetrain

The KIA pulled like a freight train in any gear at any speed, it was surreal how it progressed at such a noticeable rapid pace with a slug of torque available at any speed or gear. The 340i felt gutless in comparison and I've driven two now.. That KIA 3.3 is a peach of an engine.

In years gone by I've encountered some rather dumb auto boxes (Jag with ZF and Alfa before ZF) but the Kia ISG never searched for gears, it had power on tap whenever I wanted it and could be ruffled in the blink of an eye. Is it better than BMW's ZF 8AT? I honestly couldn't tell any difference.

One extremely awesome feature was "smart mode" which sets up the car dependant on the way one drives it without having to revert / change modes.

Economy even when pushed remained around 23 MPG (if that matters at all on a 370HP car)..

- Handling + Suspension

Despite its massive weight which became apparent when town driving the Kia felt remarkably nimble when making swift progression with half decent steering feedback and direct positioning (unlike most BMW's). The 340i always felt linear in comparison, it is what it is if you catch my drift whereas the Kia retains a dual personality.

In terms of firmness both the Kia and 340i are on equal terms but the former retains composure when going over pot holes etc. the 340i suspension crashes through the cabin when travelling on our roads. From the gist of reviews regarding AC Schnitzer the Kia seems to manage things in a similar vein. Firm, but not too firm, comfortable and capable of handling our roads.

What's utterly surprising is how the Kia would constantly kick out its rear in a playful but none dangerous way (due to its well designed limited slip diff). It feels like the GTS was designed to have a slippy back end whereas the 340i pushed often felt like it was designed to kill me.

Of course I bet the Kia won't be an M3 level track car but it IS a whole heap of fun.

ICE + Tech

Let's just put it this way, I thought every Harmon Kardon sound system was utter rubbish until I heard the 15 speaker setup in the Kia.. It's excellent and I've done some sound engineering in the past where £15K speakers aren't unusual.

Heads up display is fantastic, it literally comes with everything you could possibly ever want. Apple carplay / Android, heck even the steering rake is electronic. 5 stars all around..

Oh, it's all standard too..

Interior

From the reviews I'd read I was expecting Ford quality, in black trim it looks up market, the seat leather / padding is far more comfortable than the 340i. I'll be straight here, the F30 340i looks cheap in comparison and unless spaceship design is your thing even the G20 won't be much of an upgrade..

Sure some of the plastic buttons on the mid console let the Kia down but apart from that it felt like a luxury car from top to bottom and rather solid to boot. Wind / road noise levels etc. were probably better than the G20..

Summary

I'm not known for pulling punches, given the opportunity to slag off this car I'd of been straight on it but it's the first extremely fun coupe / sedan type (whatever) I've driven in years. The Kia was remarkably better than the 340i in nearly all regards, this is what the 340i should have been.. I even preferred it over the M340i ..

Before one comes to the conclusion I'm "trolling" or beating up on BMW.. Before I test drove this car I literally thought no other car under £50K was even worth looking at.

That includes the Alfa and the Jaguar XE, Kia have made a truly exciting car for the enthusiast that is also an extremely capable all rounder, not even the G20 M340i tempts me over it.

Ultimately it seems my BMW ownership ends here and believe me I never in a million years thought it would end with the words KIA. Porsche, Maserati? Maybe, but for the price it's just a little too tempting.
Objective review, and I think you've made a good choice.

The Stinger has been well received, has a great chassis, and a strong engine.

Once people look beyond the badge they realise that KIA builds quality cars (how well they're made, rather than having the 'best' materials), free of rattles and squeaks, with a high spec and long warranty.

GTS side profile looks good IMO - very Maser-esque.

Enjoy
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      08-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #7
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Objective review, and I think you've made a good choice.

The Stinger has been well received, has a great chassis, and a strong engine.

Once people look beyond the badge they realise that KIA builds quality cars (how well they're made, rather than having the 'best' materials), free of rattles and squeaks, with a high spec and long warranty.

GTS side profile looks good IMO - very Maser-esque.

Enjoy
Cheers Watsey, I'm honestly still shocked by it.. The last Kia I drove was a 2003 Rio and whilst I've driven worse (Hyundai) it was pretty poor in all regards.

The last thing I expected was for Kia to be giving BMW, Merc an Audi a purple nurple with a wedgie. Yes from the side / back it does look imposing IRL.. Pictures don't do it justice neither does the size of the Brembo's (they're massive). You think the M-Sport brakes are big..

I've read a thousand comments on how Hyundai / Kia have progressed along the years but until you experience it yourself it's hardly believable.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 11:11 PM   #8
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

One passed me today when I was walking the dog and I must say it looked very good indeed.

I could understand buying over an M340i but that servicing schedule is utterly ridiculous.

Odd choice for a weekend car too !!!
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      08-28-2020, 01:56 AM   #9
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

I guess the Stinger is in a league of its on in comparison to the other Kia models.

Wife's nan had a Kia Venga (2013) and the dashboard rattled, was still under warranty at the time but they said it would be £300 if they stripped it down and couldn't find a fault. To be fair, it was an awful car in all regards.

Ive driven a Kia Sportage as a rental in Spain a couple of years ago and it was in no way comparable to any BMW I have ever owned, it was gutless, the interior was cheap and it felt like I was trying to wrestle a cargo ship round each time I went round a corner at anything resembling a speed.

Ive never driven or even seen a Stinger up close so will reserve judgement but I could never buy any of the other models and trying to pretend that could be a BMW alternative.
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      08-28-2020, 05:58 AM   #10
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post
I guess the Stinger is in a league of its on in comparison to the other Kia models.

Wife's nan had a Kia Venga (2013) and the dashboard rattled, was still under warranty at the time but they said it would be £300 if they stripped it down and couldn't find a fault. To be fair, it was an awful car in all regards.

Ive driven a Kia Sportage as a rental in Spain a couple of years ago and it was in no way comparable to any BMW I have ever owned, it was gutless, the interior was cheap and it felt like I was trying to wrestle a cargo ship round each time I went round a corner at anything resembling a speed.

Ive never driven or even seen a Stinger up close so will reserve judgement but I could never buy any of the other models and trying to pretend that could be a BMW alternative.
Don't disagree, I mean I really have no stock in this.. A second hand F30 340i is quite a bit cheaper like for like year / mileage, you'd have to really want one and I've never before yesterday uttered the words I want a Kia..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #11
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post

'Badge Snobbery' ........... I think most of us are guilty of it to some extent.

Having said that I dont really class BMW as a prestige brand anymore. Everyone seems to own or more importantly pcp/lease one. Back in the early 80's with cars like the 323i and M635i they were really something to aspire to, not so much now. Anyone with a spare £300 a month knocking about can get into one.

I say good on the OP for taking a different route, i will be eager to hear his views on it after a few months ownership.
Appreciate 3
Watsey6421.50
Firaxis265.50
      08-28-2020, 06:32 AM   #12
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I know a few have congratulated the OP and looking forward to hearing his ownership feedback, but unless I’ve missed something, he’s only test driven one so far, not bought it.

I’m sure plenty like them on a test drive, I did, but how many actually go ahead with the purchase?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #13
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Lease options on Leasing.com for them are pretty tempting.

1 month deposit, about £460 a month on 10,000 miles or £550 on 20,000 miles both over 48 months.

That’s cracking value. I just don’t fancy taking it for a service 13 times in 4 years. If they could sort that I’d probably be a customer as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 06:50 AM   #14
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I know a few have congratulated the OP and looking forward to hearing his ownership feedback, but unless I’ve missed something, he’s only test driven one so far, not bought it.

I’m sure plenty like them on a test drive, I did, but how many actually go ahead with the purchase?
Just put the order in, got a silly deal on a lease.. £375.00 PM / 4K deposit / 8K miles / 36 months including metallic paint and tax for the entire duration.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 06:53 AM   #15
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just put the order in, got a silly deal on a lease.. £375.00 PM / 4K deposit / 8K miles 36 months including metallic paint and tax for the entire duration.
Thats not far off Mini Clubman money....... I know which I would prefer
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      08-28-2020, 06:55 AM   #16
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just put the order in, got a silly deal on a lease.. £375.00 PM / 4K deposit / 8K miles 36 months including metallic paint and tax for the entire duration.
Good work, and on your mileage I think it’s a great option. £485 ish a month overall cost is very good for that kind of car.

Be interested like others to hear your long term views once you get it. When does it arrive?

A service once every 6 months I easier to stomach than 3 or 4 times a year.

Bit envious.
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      08-28-2020, 06:59 AM   #17
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Thats not far off Mini Clubman money....... I know which I would prefer
It’s just over a hundred pounds a month more than the wife’s mini deal, probably another £50 a month on top of that for increased servicing and increased insurance.

We were really pushing budget anyway for our second car if we want to keep something like our giant Q7 in the future, which we do.

And, I don’t think I could get her to love a giant saloon car even if I did decide the payment was within reach.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #18
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

I think my views have been summed up already by other posters.

Looks great and had great reviews, but for someone doing 20k miles a year, the fuel economy just isn't good enough. Going to and from work, now my 440i has hit over 40k miles, I'm getting high 30s mpg.

The servicing is also a factor. What would be 3 times a year is too much of an inconvenience for me.

Plus it's a big car. I parked next to one and it looked good but I was surprised by how much bigger than my 440i it was. It looked 5 series big and I just don't need a car that big.

Finally nail in the coffin was that lease/pcp costs were 100-150 a month more than I'm paying.
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      08-28-2020, 08:12 AM   #19
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good work, and on your mileage I think it’s a great option. £485 ish a month overall cost is very good for that kind of car.

Be interested like others to hear your long term views once you get it. When does it arrive?

A service once every 6 months I easier to stomach than 3 or 4 times a year.

Bit envious.
They said 3 weeks, just got an insurance quote and it's gone down £50.00 vs. the 340i. I'll put that aside for its next service ..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 08:24 AM   #20
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
'Badge Snobbery' ........... I think most of us are guilty of it to some extent.

Having said that I dont really class BMW as a prestige brand anymore. Everyone seems to own or more importantly pcp/lease one. Back in the early 80's with cars like the 323i and M635i they were really something to aspire to, not so much now. Anyone with a spare £300 a month knocking about can get into one.

I say good on the OP for taking a different route, i will be eager to hear his views on it after a few months ownership.
Quite possibly, its the same as Alfa Romeo for me. I have never owned one myself but I would also never buy one. Probably badge snobbery but there we are. Wife's sister had a Mito thing which was about 5 years old, the steering rack went on it a few months into ownership and after driving it for 6 months, she couldn't wait to get rid of it.

She now owns an X1, they are not my cup of tea but I would take one over a Mito.

Wife always had French cars, Peugeot or Citroen but since she bought her first Z4 (at my suggestion) she now won't entertain anything that's not BMW. Badge snobbery if you like but we find them reliable, enjoyable to drive and good performance versus other cars.

People have a tendency to stick to the brands they like, we have a Mini and a 330D.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #21
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They said 3 weeks, just got an insurance quote and it's gone down £50.00 vs. the 340i. I'll put that aside for its next service ..
My quote for the Mini was £300 less than my X3 M40d and 440i before that.

But, for a bigger, more powerful car, any reduction is a bonus, good work!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #22
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Probably aimed at the US market where fuel economy isn't so important and for some reason very regular oil changes seems very common.
There are some great cars for the US market, a lot of SUVs and big cars with great performance but let down with fuel economy that wouldn't be judged acceptable here
Appreciate 0