F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Terrible Engine Bay Smell
GetBMWParts

08-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #1
Dakotya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Terrible Engine Bay Smell

Hello,

After driving my car for a short period of it the engine bay starts to smell terrible. The smell is very strong. I looked all around for hours and couldn't see any leaks or melted plastic.

I took it to my local shop and they lifted the car. Checked under, did a coolant pressure test, and an oil dye test and came up empty handed.

I thought it smelled more like a burning smell. The tech said that it wasn't a burning smell to him. He's not sure what kind of smell but that the car definitely has a smell.

Any ideas?

2013 BMW 328i

Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
helix247
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotya View Post
Hello,

After driving my car for a short period of it the engine bay starts to smell terrible. The smell is very strong. I looked all around for hours and couldn't see any leaks or melted plastic.

I took it to my local shop and they lifted the car. Checked under, did a coolant pressure test, and an oil dye test and came up empty handed.

I thought it smelled more like a burning smell. The tech said that it wasn't a burning smell to him. He's not sure what kind of smell but that the car definitely has a smell.

Any ideas?

2013 BMW 328i

Thank you very much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotya View Post
Hello,

Any ideas?

2013 BMW 328i

Thank you very much.
Probably Valve Cover Gasket or Oil Filter Housing Gasket.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Dead rodent on the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Coolant = Sweetish
Oil = Burnt
Wiring =Acrid

Most typical smell is generated by oil from around the passenger side of the valve cover.

From my own experience even a little oil seeping from the valve cover will cook off and generate a smell. Leaks will drop down onto the exhaust manifold and smoke.

My guess is valve cover on passenger side towards the rear of the engine. Look for faint signs of staining. You'll probably need a flashlight.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 3
cfm56d7b5886.00
otay826.00
      08-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Coolant = Sweetish
Oil = Burnt
Wiring =Acrid

Most typical smell is generated by oil from around the passenger side of the valve cover.

From my own experience even a little oil seeping from the valve cover will cook off and generate a smell. Leaks will drop down onto the exhaust manifold and smoke.

My guess is valve cover on passenger side towards the rear of the engine. Look for faint signs of staining. You'll probably need a flashlight.
Sound advice. It's surprising that the shop could not identify the smell if it's so distinctive. Did the mechanic perform a thorough examination of valve cover gasket? it might be prudent to find another shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Coolant = Sweetish
Oil = Burnt
Wiring =Acrid

Sound advice. It's surprising that the shop could not identify the smell if it's so distinctive. Did the mechanic perform a thorough examination of valve cover gasket? it might be prudent to find another shop.
I had the same experience. Could only smell it from inside the cabin or around the wheel wells. Couldn't smell it with the hood open.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
Dakotya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
Coolant = Sweetish
Oil = Burnt
Wiring =Acrid

I had the same experience. Could only smell it from inside the cabin or around the wheel wells. Couldn't smell it with the hood open.
I have throughly inspected the Valve Gasket and do not see a single droplet or indication that oil was dropped onto the exhaust.

However the oil filter housing looking pretty sus, and the alternator beneath him is very dirty.

Lastly here is an invoice from the previous shop.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0