F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Mild hybrid on the m340i
Extreme Powerhouse

08-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Mild hybrid on the m340i

As per the main news looks like this is now standard in the US and assume it will come to the UK as well?
Seems the 48v system adds 10bhp in most cases and improved efficiency but will it really make any difference on the m340 especially with added weight?

Not driven a mild hybrid so dont know what impact the systems have.

lastly do we think it is worth waiting for a factory order to get one with it?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
As per the main news looks like this is now standard in the US and assume it will come to the UK as well?
Seems the 48v system adds 10bhp in most cases and improved efficiency but will it really make any difference on the m340 especially with added weight?

Not driven a mild hybrid so dont know what impact the systems have.

lastly do we think it is worth waiting for a factory order to get one with it?
When we had a mild hybrid, I didn't find it any more economical is general driving. However, it had a huge positive impact whenever queuing as the engine would shut down and leave the AC or heating running. Could also crawl forward in traffic jams. But that's basically the only benefit, so the more you find yourself queueing in jams the better it'll be for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Didn't I see something regarding this on the 5 series, and people are seeing remarkable economy figure on the 520d / 530d ?

Something like 10-20% better economy than on the old (non-MHT) version ?

If someone offered you an 10-20% lower fuel bills, bet you'd think it was worthwhile ...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 05:10 AM   #4
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

I've had a mild hybrid and it was pretty rubbish. If I was wanting an M340i - which I'm not (literally zero BMWs on sale that interest me anymore) - I'd get one without the added weight & complexity.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2020, 05:29 AM   #5
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
I've had a mild hybrid and it was pretty rubbish. If I was wanting an M340i - which I'm not (literally zero BMWs on sale that interest me anymore) - I'd get one without the added weight & complexity.
Tesla + Caterham = happiness ?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
Grant_72020.50
KRS_SN13537.00
      09-02-2020, 06:07 AM   #6
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
It's a great combo that I'm very happy with.

And here's the £50k question; if I was to spend £50k of my own money on a car, would it be an M340i, C43 AMG, Audi S4 or Tesla Model 3. And the answer is Tesla Model 3. 6 months in and I'm very impressed.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2020, 06:11 AM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:

And here's the £50k question; if I was to spend £50k of my own money on a car, would it be an M340i, C43 AMG, Audi S4 or Tesla Model 3. And the answer is Tesla Model 3. 6 months in and I'm very impressed.
whereas I was talking to a guy with a long range model yesterday and he said it was great as it was so cheap (another BIK beneficiary...) but he would have his Golf R back tomorrow if they cost the same....

As they say, good job there is something for all of us and never listen to someone else, judge for yourself.......
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 06:22 AM   #8
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

Need a dog carrying shape boot and still not a fan of the interior of the tesla for me.

I asked the "genius" on bmws site yesterday obviously they didn't know anything about it. I imagine it will come to the UK soon enough in the next model year so maybe early 2021?
Might make the original m340s a bit cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:29 AM   #9
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sorry, I wasn't recommending a Tesla to you. Just replying to MashinBenzin regarding his question as to whether my 2 car garage was working out.

I know you've been looking for an M340i for some time now. What's holding you back from making the purchase? I don't see the MHEV changes coming making much of a difference to prices, as in all likelihood they'll be incorporated into the LCI update.

However I do wonder what the M3 Touring release will do to M340i prices.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #10
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Agree. if i was in the market for an m340i i wouldn't want the mild hybrid. i equally wouldn't even think of the model3 one look inside and outside is all it takes(my friend has one and showed us around as if it was the next best thing to sliced bread) . It does have a niche though but for me who doesn't get any tax rebates as im employed and can't be bothered to charge etc as i have a busy hectic life it makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 02:10 AM   #11
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Agree. if i was in the market for an m340i i wouldn't want the mild hybrid. i equally wouldn't even think of the model3 one look inside and outside is all it takes(my friend has one and showed us around as if it was the next best thing to sliced bread) . It does have a niche though but for me who doesn't get any tax rebates as im employed and can't be bothered to charge etc as i have a busy hectic life it makes no sense.
How the mild hybrid works (in BMW at least, but I imagine others are similar) is that an additional battery system is charged up on braking and overrun, and when you want acceleration, that stored power is used to aid in acceleration - in very light acceleration or town driving, a lot of your motive power may be coming from the battery system

There's no charging, plugging in, or anything of the sort for you to do. You just drive the car as normal

BMW reckon (and I've seen user reviews the seem to confirm or exceed this) economy gains of 10% on the 5 series - some longer term reviews are well in excess of that compared to the 'old' non-mild-hybrid cars
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 07:29 AM   #12
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Only time will tell but I'm not sure the M3 Touring will affect G21 M340i prices significantly, at least in the short to medium term. The M3 will probably be at least £15k more expensive in terms of list price and, with probably less discount than on the G21, it will be a little while before second-hand ones are available for similar money to even discounted brand new M340i's, never mind used ones.

But then again I didn't see the 1M's holding their value particularly well when they were first introduced so what do I know!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #13
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't recommending a Tesla to you. Just replying to MashinBenzin regarding his question as to whether my 2 car garage was working out.

I know you've been looking for an M340i for some time now. What's holding you back from making the purchase? I don't see the MHEV changes coming making much of a difference to prices, as in all likelihood they'll be incorporated into the LCI update.

Cost and needs basically. If Q4 has some decent deals I'll start getting some prices but just need to see whats happening job wise in Oct as well.

My sons football is starting up again so the excuse of me having my own car again to ferry him around on Saturdays will help

I have even toyed with a 330e but know I'd only pine for a 6 pot eventually.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #14
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Fully understand people not liking Teslas or the Model 3 - although I would suggest driving one before discounting it; in many ways it drives better than my 340i, and I never expected that at all - however I don't get why people think it's inconvenient to charge. Example:

Just before bed, plug it in and no matter what the state of charge beforehand, I have a full tank in the morning. Much less bothersome than having to go to petrol stations. Of course, if you are doing >200 miles a day, then it's a different story.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #15
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Cost and needs basically. If Q4 has some decent deals I'll start getting some prices but just need to see whats happening job wise in Oct as well.

My sons football is starting up again so the excuse of me having my own car again to ferry him around on Saturdays will help

I have even toyed with a 330e but know I'd only pine for a 6 pot eventually.
Well good luck and I hope you get a good deal sorted

Regarding the 330e, then if you're set on a 340i you'd only regret getting anything less.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #16
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Fully understand people not liking Teslas or the Model 3 - although I would suggest driving one before discounting it; in many ways it drives better than my 340i, and I never expected that at all - however I don't get why people think it's inconvenient to charge. Example:

Just before bed, plug it in and no matter what the state of charge beforehand, I have a full tank in the morning. Much less bothersome than having to go to petrol stations. Of course, if you are doing >200 miles a day, then it's a different story.

i was very interested in the model y(,with a family of 5 and relatives visiting i need a suv even better a 7 seater but not model x). I did research the model y but was disappointed that apparently UK gets it only in 2022-23! ah well the x5 7 seater it was then.
In 3-4 years when time to change comes(and I can afford it) the best car at the best price tesla included will get my nod.
Appreciate 0