BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum How to install OEM Black Emblems...(the right way)

09-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #1
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Lightbulb How to install OEM Black Emblems...(the right way)

I just received my oem black X7 and black M50i emblems from Belgium. Note these are oem but USA dealers can’t import them.

Here is how you install them the right way so they are strait and level.

Temp needs to be 60 degrees or above.
First you need to outline your current emblems with blue painters tape. It’s a good idea to do some measurements in case your tape comes off when the emblems are off. I also put a level on my current emblems to confirm mine were installed from the factory level.

This pic shows these are indeed oem.

I used a heat gun and fishing line to remove the oem emblems. Take note that you use a sawing motion with the fishing line behind the emblem one at a time. You will find a black rubber glue left on the paint. Take your time and roll it off with your fingers as good as you can. You will not get it all off. This is time consuming.

Next you will need some “GooGone” citric adhesive remover and a bunch of old socks to use as rags. Put your hand in the sock like a puppet and apply the Goo Gone to the sock and use your fingers to work it on over the rubber adhesive on the paint. It takes some for the Goo Gone to penetrate but it will come off. Be careful not to get a lot on the blue painters tape you will use as your template. Once you Get all it off, I like to use some P21 pre wax polish or gloss and make that area pristine. You can use rubbing alcohol as well. The idea it’s a great opportunity to make that paint pop underneath the emblems. Any good paint polish will work.

Remove the bottom and right side of your painters tape. Make sure the left and top lines of your painters tape is not disturbed.
Remove the back white wax paper from your emblems. Be very careful not to disturb or move them from the clear plastic that is holding the front side of the emblem in alignment. Now take some scissors and cut along the top and left side of the clear plastic that is holding the emblems in alignment. Cut as close to the emblems as you can. (see above pic)

Align the left and top to your blue painters tape while keeping the emblems on the clear plastic as if you are placing all of them on if they were a big sticker. This will keep them in perfect alignment. Press firmly on each letter and when satisfied they are stuck, slowly pull off the alignment clear plastic:

Damn that looks good.

Now work on the M50i side just like you did this one. Take your time. There is a lot of black adhesive under the “M” logo.

This isn’t a hard job but you must take your time and not be rushed. I put a level on the finished black emblems and they were indeed perfectly level as the ones I removed.

Here is my order info with the part numbers.
https://www.schmiedmann.com/

Description Quantity Unit weight Unit price Total
51-14-2-472-845
Emblem trunk lid "M50I" Black painted - Original BMW
NB: Expected in stock in 4 working days
1 pcs.
0.000 KG 40.39 EUR 40.39 EUR
51-14-2-472-843
Emblem trunk lid "X7" Black painted - Original BMW
1 pcs.
Order total excl. VAT 2 0.000 KG 80.78 EUR
Freight excl. VAT 27.58 EUR
Pack & Handling excl. VAT 1.51 EUR
Fee excl. VAT 5.41 EUR
Total VAT ( 0 % ) 0.00 EUR
Total 115.28 EUR

Overcast day with these pics and note the gloss of the emblems look like black chrome.

Last edited by MystroX5; 09-01-2020 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 12
Auricom4349.50
Tinbad139.50
Wild Blue3676.50
MomoM3981.00
GrussGott18113.00
dmanb2b2121.50
Xtabi1696.00
BigTim11.50
      09-02-2020, 01:39 AM   #2
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56244.50
      09-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
MisterCS
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 CS 20' G07 21'

Finished product looks on point.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56244.50
      09-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Awesome tutorial.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56244.50
      09-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Thanks for sharing this MystroX5. I just received the same set from Schmiedmann - very fast.

Here's my dilemma. My X7 came with uneven badges from the factory. Rather than address with the dealer, I just had my detailer remove the badges altogether since I knew I wanted the OEM black ones anyway. Now my detailer did make me a template but I'm not sure how reliable it will be now that it's off the car.

On the OEM black badges, do the white templates that came with the black badges measure up to anything or is it just the clear plastic holding them together? Not sure I trust myself eyeballing it!

I tried to like the debadged look but I just don't dig it so think the black badges will be perfect.

Appreciate 1
      09-09-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

The clear plastic top film holds them in perfect alignment for installation.

Quick measurements I did before installation.
I would run a bottom tape line from my measurements and align them that way while letting the clear plastic film hold them all together. Put them on like one giant sticker. Put a side tape line to know where to start via my measurements.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 10:00 PM   #7
billybarr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 yas marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I just received my oem black X7 and black M50i emblems from Belgium. Note these are oem but USA dealers can't import them.

Here is how you install them the right way so they are strait and level.

Temp needs to be 60 degrees or above.
First you need to outline your current emblems with blue painters tape. It's a good idea to do some measurements in case your tape comes off when the emblems are off. I also put a level on my current emblems to confirm mine were installed from the factory level.

This pic shows these are indeed oem.

I used a heat gun and fishing line to remove the oem emblems. Take note that you use a sawing motion with the fishing line behind the emblem one at a time. You will find a black rubber glue left on the paint. Take your time and roll it off with your fingers as good as you can. You will not get it all off. This is time consuming.

Next you will need some "GooGone" citric adhesive remover and a bunch of old socks to use as rags. Put your hand in the sock like a puppet and apply the Goo Gone to the sock and use your fingers to work it on over the rubber adhesive on the paint. It takes some for the Goo Gone to penetrate but it will come off. Be careful not to get a lot on the blue painters tape you will use as your template. Once you Get all it off, I like to use some P21 pre wax polish or gloss and make that area pristine. You can use rubbing alcohol as well. The idea it's a great opportunity to make that paint pop underneath the emblems. Any good paint polish will work.

Remove the bottom and right side of your painters tape. Make sure the left and top lines of your painters tape is not disturbed.
Remove the back white wax paper from your emblems. Be very careful not to disturb or move them from the clear plastic that is holding the front side of the emblem in alignment. Now take some scissors and cut along the top and left side of the clear plastic that is holding the emblems in alignment. Cut as close to the emblems as you can. (see above pic)

Align the left and top to your blue painters tape while keeping the emblems on the clear plastic as if you are placing all of them on if they were a big sticker. This will keep them in perfect alignment. Press firmly on each letter and when satisfied they are stuck, slowly pull off the alignment clear plastic:

Damn that looks good.

Now work on the M50i side just like you did this one. Take your time. There is a lot of black adhesive under the "M" logo.

This isn't a hard job but you must take your time and not be rushed. I put a level on the finished black emblems and they were indeed perfectly level as the ones I removed.

Here is my order info with the part numbers.
https://www.schmiedmann.com/

Description Quantity Unit weight Unit price Total
51-14-2-472-845
Emblem trunk lid "M50I" Black painted - Original BMW
1 pcs.
51-14-2-472-843
Emblem trunk lid "X7" Black painted - Original BMW
1 pcs.
Order total excl. VAT 2 0.000 KG 80.78 EUR
Freight excl. VAT 27.58 EUR
Pack & Handling excl. VAT 1.51 EUR
Fee excl. VAT 5.41 EUR
Total VAT ( 0 % ) 0.00 EUR
Total 115.28 EUR

Overcast day with these pics and note the gloss of the emblems look like black chrome.
Hold on, you put them in the wrong place…
Attached Images

09-10-2020, 05:20 AM   #8
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Back in the day BMW had templates and printouts for this. They don't do this anymore?

Pretty sure Audi still does it so hopefully BMW does as well:
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #9
mklam
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Great tutorial. Can you confirm if the ///M badges on the sides are the same size as the one on the back? My M50i is due to arrive in a couple of weeks, just want to get these ready to be swapped as aoon as it gets here. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #10
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklam View Post
Great tutorial. Can you confirm if the ///M badges on the sides are the same size as the one on the back? My M50i is due to arrive in a couple of weeks, just want to get these ready to be swapped as aoon as it gets here. Thanks.

We only have the M badge on the rear. They are exactly the same size as the ones they are replacing.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 01:37 AM   #11
mklam
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

We only have the M badge on the rear. They are exactly the same size as the ones they are replacing.
Hi I know it's the same size as the one it's replacing, but is it the same size as the ///M on the sides of the car? The ones on the front fenders. Because if they are the same size then I'll need to get 3 of the ///M50i and use 2 for the sides.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hi I know it's the same size as the one it's replacing, but is it the same size as the ///M on the sides of the car? The ones on the front fenders. Because if they are the same size then I'll need to get 3 of the ///M50i and use 2 for the sides.

We don’t get the small M badges on the fenders in the USA. The ones I am using are only for the rear and they are the large size designed for the rear. I am not sure where you could source the much smaller fender “M” badge in black??

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 10:17 PM   #13
mklam
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

We don't get the small M badges on the fenders in the USA. The ones I am using are only for the rear and they are the large size designed for the rear. I am not sure where you could source the much smaller fender "M" badge in black??

Oh right, that's interesting. Thanks for the clarification! Yea I might just get 3 of the ///M50i badges then in that case.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #14
billybarr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 yas marina

A little more customization...reflector deletes and exhaust
Attached Images

09-25-2020, 11:38 AM   #15
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybarr View Post
What did you do to your exhaust tips??
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 01:05 PM   #16
gfunk0311
Rep
Drives: 2022 x7 m50i, 911 gts4

Quote:
why did you move the badges down? that looks odd
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #17
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Nice work MystroX5!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 09:54 PM   #18
ComingInHot
Newish
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
Thanks for sharing this MystroX5. I just received the same set from Schmiedmann - very fast.

Here's my dilemma. My X7 came with uneven badges from the factory. Rather than address with the dealer, I just had my detailer remove the badges altogether since I knew I wanted the OEM black ones anyway. Now my detailer did make me a template but I'm not sure how reliable it will be now that it's off the car.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

On the OEM black badges, do the white templates that came with the black badges measure up to anything or is it just the clear plastic holding them together? Not sure I trust myself eyeballing it!

I tried to like the debadged look but I just don't dig it so think the black badges will be perfect.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
MomoM3 - How did the black emblems look on TB2? Any pics?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 11:43 AM   #19
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Quote:
Where did you purchase the rear reflector delete trim pcs? That back end looks good.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 10:18 PM   #20
stevenrisman
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
Quote:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingInHot View Post
Quote:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
4 inch to where? Center or bottom ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 10:20 PM   #21
stevenrisman
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:

4inch to top bottom or center??
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 10:25 PM   #22
stevenrisman
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Please explain the 4inch line?
Appreciate 0