BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bad starter apparently

09-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #1
noogaM2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Bad starter apparently

hey guys, first post here. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else... i bought a used 2018 m2 dct from a dealer down in Atlanta with 11k miles about 2 or 3 months ago and a few weeks after I bought it, the car would not start.. it would just click. I was able to successfully jump the car off and took it to bmw. They said it had codes for a starter fault but cleared them and sent me on my way bc everything was working. Fast forward like a month or 2 later and it happens again... jumps off again successfully and they look at the starter and tell me "your starter is bad the wires are burned up." So now its been there for over a week waiting on a new starter to come from GE.

Has this happened to anyone before? And what could the cause be? He didn't seem to know either. The only thing I can think of is when I picked the car up I commented on how the engine bay was sopping wet with detailer dressing and they offered to clean it off and I told them not to worry about it. Maybe someone blasted it with a pressure washer and got the starter internal components wet? I had also the week leading up to this last incident had smelled an odd smell through the vents but didn't think anything of it. Hoping this isn't the start of much larger issues with the car
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Burned wires are caused by two things. Excessive resistance due to a bad connection/corrosion, etc or a high current draw. You may have had a short in the old starter causing an excessive draw.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Hey man, glad you started a thread on this, I had done some searches but didn't find anything. Hopefully someone can chime in here with the same issue, and if not, you know it's a rarity.

You'll have it back soon (hopefully). I'd ask the dealer if they (or you) could put a reman starter on it while you wait, they are only $100.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I'd ask the dealer if they (or you) could put a reman starter on it while you wait, they are only $100.
I would think that a low mileage 18 model would still be under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
noogaM2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
It is has about a year left of bumper to bumper warranty left.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
It is, and they are getting him a new starter, but he's having to wait WEEKS for it go get onto his car when they could install a reman in 2 hours? Then at least he could drive the car while he waits for Ze Germans.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #7
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
It is, and they are getting him a new starter, but he's having to wait WEEKS for it go get onto his car when they could install a reman in 2 hours? Then at least he could drive the car while he waits for Ze Germans.
He should be in a loaner then.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #8
tazam2
Enlisted Member
Rep

I had a similar situation...twice in the past few months.

I would press the engine start button...and instead of 1 click, engine on. It was rapid clicking with no engine start.
I would press again to turn off the car, then immediately try again with no issue with engine start.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 08:59 PM   #9
noogaM2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazam2 View Post
I had a similar situation...twice in the past few months.

I would press the engine start button...and instead of 1 click, engine on. It was rapid clicking with no engine start.
I would press again to turn off the car, then immediately try again with no issue with engine start.
Yeah this issue is the car clicks just a single time, throws a code for faulty starter and then if you retry it just keeps doing a single click. It would however start if jumped which i thought was odd
Appreciate 0