F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Kia Stinger Long Term Review
GetBMWParts

09-02-2020, 11:33 PM   #1
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Kia Stinger Long Term Review

Good news everyone.! The Stinger arrived today, after a quick inspection to make sure there was no undue damage I quickly urr went back to work.

Anyway, Kia has suggested a 600 mile variable usage break in period. Seems like a good excuse to see the sights and get it bedded in no? We all understand the novelty of a car does waver over an extended length of ownership. So, let's see if I feel the same about the car in a years time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initial impressions:

Amongst two E-Class Mercs, three M3's, two A7's, four RS4's and a Citroen C1 the office seemed initially rather perplexed by my new showing. Many questions ensued like did it arrive on the back of an AA van? What car is that? And I've still got more HP than you.

Obviously the latter wasn't a question but after our "jokes" session my colleagues did genuinely seem interested, many were surprised that a Kia was pumping out 361 HP with 3.3L's of cubic capacity.

Anywho, after an initial 47 mile trip I retained 26MPG in mixed driving modes. If you find the ASS switch on your BMW annoying problem solved as stop start didn't work. Whilst fuel consumption seemed relatively decent if one is in the market for a Stinger remember, you've just purchased a 40K Kia. Is fuel economy really your primary concern? Really?

As I'm yet unable to give the car a jolly old boot I decided to mess around with some tech. It's mind boggling the amount of customisation and tech this car has, I just realised today it has heated front AND rear seats plus the fronts are also ventilated. Very handy for playing tricks on one's family or those sweaty driving days where clothes don't cut the mustard.

If for any reason one is interested in a Kia Stinger please visit their website for a full list of tech or this review will be longer and more in depth than a Game of Thrones paperback.

Despite the fact in the flesh it looks like a yacht it is in fact only slightly bigger than a 4 series and much smaller than a 6 but ultimately as a GT it seems to want a fight with the latter. GT's in my experience have mainly suffered from luxo barge syndrome, marketing says they can walk the walk but in practice wallowed more than progressed.

It's surprising what Audi, I mean BMW, I mean Kia have done to this car. It feels stiffly sprung yet there are no signs of crashing travel, body roll or chassis flex. Usually I'd consider weight the enemy of ALL CARS.! EVERYWHERE.! But in this particular setup the extra weight adds to the planted overall feel. It manages all of this whilst remaining very comfortable, a hard task to achieve indeed.

In the dry with restricted rev allowance it just cruised along without issue, I must repeat the Harmon Kardon in this thing is truly a pleasure to listen to. In summary no real complaints so far, let's roll for 600 miles and then see where we're at.

Last edited by Firaxis; 09-03-2020 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 5
sahajesh2294.00
Sennen1733.50
JD64270.50
      09-03-2020, 01:57 AM   #2
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

I know you posted early when light wasn't great but come on.... we need pics!!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      09-03-2020, 02:47 AM   #3
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

I think you've made a good alternative choice and will be interested to hear what you think after a few months and several thousand miles of ownership. I half thought about looking at one myself but, like others, the frequency and potential cost of the servicing didn't appeal; it didn't fit the bill for carrying the dogs quite as well as a Touring either but nevertheless I can see its appeal against something like a 4-series GC or A5 Sportback.
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      09-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #4
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

M2Andy I'm going to show its true effigy on a scenic road trip but for now please accept a dramatic engine pic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, let's start.. We're 204 miles in at this stage and besides the rare trip to the local office, shopping depot or family bi-yearly socially distanced mandatory check in the car unfortunately hasn't been driven all that much.

Although its given me time to research, define and look deeper into what I've just purchased. It's hard not to compare to the F series coming from a 340i but I came to the conclusion they're not competitors and it's unfair to mix them in a blender, for a start the Stinger is a fair bit bigger, costs more, is a newer design and besides some similarity in suspension drives completely differently.

It's hard to put my finger on exactly what it is and the most apt description I could come up with was "luxury muscle car". I'm not sure if the 2020 model contains updated trim but it does very much look and feel Merc C43 with some Audi thrown in for good measure. The quality is quite a step up for me but interior is extremely subjective, no squeaks, rattles or annoyances so far.

Throughout this review I'll also disregard international models and focus squarely on the UK as in some places you can only get AWD, in the US they cheap out on pads which not only affects braking performance but eventually warps the rotors and climate differences change programming etc.

Right, over the last week I've noticed more of the good, bad and ugly starting with paint. Whilst BMW's metallic black paintwork scratches and chips when one looks in its general direction Kia seems to be unable to match the Germans paint regime from the outset. Many have reported paint issues and after a car wash I have noticed subtle blemishes, it's not a scratch or a dent just poorly applied paint. You have to look for it though, we're not talking finger nail size issues just the odd tiny patch up close.

Handling prowess for such a big car defies logic, on a B road back home corners didn't pose anything more than a slight change in direction without having to slow down. Although it does become a little unsettled if you hit a pot hole mid corner.

Ride comfort is decent and the seats are lovely, if you're used to M-Sport suspension you'll roughly already know what to expect but due to its weight doesn't seem to scrabble or thud over larger imperfections.

The big old Brembo's when worn in a little have some serious stopping power with little provocation, they're not grabby but it doesn't take much travel to pull you forward. If you could heel and toe in the Stinger chances are a mistake would throw you through the window.

The exhaust does seem to get louder by the day, someone mentioned "Stinger drone" and I was baffled by the statement because when new it's as quiet as a mouse. A week or two on and it growls which is one of the reasons you buy a performance car yes?

Some of the vast array of default kit is awesome, for example if you have share your car with a partner the automated position setup can be saved to memory and mirror position, seat position, steering rake setup is automatically adjusted.

On the flip some tech is rather annoying, like the mirrors rotating downwards whilst reversing and I'm quite a fan of the speed limiter function in cars but in the Kia it's rather unintuitive. You select cruise control twice then set the res function, press down, set speed which is right at the side of a display toggle.. Umm yeah...!

Ventilated seats are not unlike taking a cold bath with Trebor mints used as a replacement for salts. Something I'll never use, the ASS switch should be by the ignition and the customisation options could be easier to access. Air con will freeze your face off which I actually really like, very good for hot summers.

The stereo sounds amazing on directly connected content or DAB, when streaming over bluetooth it might as well be any £5.00 setup which is obvious but connecting your phone to the car initiates carplay which interferes if anyone needs to call you.

AND FINALLY..! You think BMW under rates their cars?! Hmm? Well, on paper there's a 35HP difference between the F30 340i and the Stinger, add in a couple hundred kilo's of weight and you might not expect that much difference. Well you'd be surprised to say the least, it's more like a Focus ST vs. an AMG A45 than two similar cars.

I saw postings of Stingers beating 465HP Mustangs and like most would I was either skeptical or found it laughably amusing. Although, in sport mode I can only describe acceleration as brutal delivering massive surges of torque from what seems like nothing.. Ever been in an overly modified WRX cranking out well over 400HP? Yeah, that explains a fair bit about the fuel economy (still at 25(ish)..

I'm still in break in period so I've not even pushed it yet..! In comfort / smart it's a little tame, bit laggy if not diesel type pokey but is good enough 95% of the time.

Ultimately though the Stinger is turning out to be my favourite all time car.! Let's see if the enthusiasm keeps flowing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Firaxis; 09-29-2020 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 3
JR16641146.50
M2Andy225.00
      09-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

You know you are on a petrolheads web site when a 204mile update is called a long term review...! I know, its the first of many but I had to smile as I did a round trip commute more than that each day up until 2015!

Good luck with the new car. Funnily enough its the size that puts me off, I have no need for anything bigger than a 3 series (or even a decent sized Mini..) but your rarely get the refinement and quality of a bigger car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
You know you are on a petrolheads web site when a 204mile update is called a long term review...! I know, its the first of many but I had to smile as I did a round trip commute more than that each day up until 2015!

Good luck with the new car. Funnily enough its the size that puts me off, I have no need for anything bigger than a 3 series (or even a decent sized Mini..) but your rarely get the refinement and quality of a bigger car.
Ha, I used to do just over a thousand miles a month but due to work / Covid etc. I'm doing max 350 at the moment..

In terms of practicality like parking etc. it's no different to a 3'er.. For some reason I really struggled with the Jag far more than this due to bonnet length. I'd be useless with a Mustang..

Despite my surprise surrounding its handling capability let's face it the car's still a 1.8 tonne rhino and no amount of trickery will make it handle like an MX-5..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #7
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

In the M2 I borrowed for the day on Saturday it had 11 miles on the clock when I picked it up. When I dropped it back 24 hours later it had 246 on it.

I’m suppose it depends where you live, but if I had the car it would have quite a few more “just going out for a drive” miles on it by now.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
In the M2 I borrowed for the day on Saturday it had 11 miles on the clock when I picked it up. When I dropped it back 24 hours later it had 246 on it.

I’m suppose it depends where you live, but if I had the car it would have quite a few more “just going out for a drive” miles on it by now.
Yuu do have great roads for just going for a drive - not even necessarily fast, just for the scenery. I rarely go anywhere just for a drive these days, partly as I dont know where I am going!

Heading to Grindleford on Saturday though to see my old boss....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
Firaxis
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post

Oh give it time, it took three months to sort out a new car in total and with the state of affairs / being busy my priorities have been elsewhere recently. In the F30 340i I think we racked up 390 miles in a few days..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #10
AndyMD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Golf R 2020

A friend of mine has one, loves it, but be very careful on B roads. He has split 2 alloys on pot holes in less than a year. And those alloys aren't cheap!

Enjoy it!

Currently learnt a lesson
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      09-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #11
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Autoebid have them at 36k new on finance which is a lot of car for that price!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Autoebid have them at 36k new on finance which is a lot of car for that price!
They are pretty big cars for the money as well. Not far off the size of what was a "big enough" 5-series, the E60.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Andy View Post
I know you posted early when light wasn't great but come on.... we need pics!!
Agree.

11-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #14
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #15
Bob406
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i touring

Kia have been tempting BMW talent to join them for a while, the Stinger is a bit big for me but tempting in some ways..

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/03/28/j...terior-design/

Appreciate 0