F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Passenger side mirror cannot adjust correctly
proTUNING Freaks

09-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
OneEyedTurkey
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Passenger side mirror cannot adjust correctly

I changed my turn signals to the sequential turn signals. I started with the passenger side and then went to the driver side. Everything seemed to be going well. The lights worked and the mirrors were not cracked. I then tried to set the mirrors back to preset 1. This worked only for the driver side. As for the passenger side, it looks like it's struggling to mode into position and just stops moving. To move it fully left -> right or vice-versa, requires it to be moved a total of 3-4 times.

To further test this, I put it in reverse and allowed the mirror to angle downwards. When I put it back into drive, it's still stuck in the down position. Further more, I hear it clicking when it tries to angle to the right.

My suspicion is the white tab on the right side of the motor is causing it to halt and click like it may be dislodged. Does anyone have any ideas? I can post videos if need be.

Link to videos

Last edited by OneEyedTurkey; 09-03-2020 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: Adding link to the 2 videos.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you hear the motor working when someone adjusts the mirror or puts it in reverse, then chances are somethings got it lodged. Maybe just try reinstalling it and be extra careful about getting it stuck or lodged.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 12:08 AM   #3
OneEyedTurkey
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
If you hear the motor working when someone adjusts the mirror or puts it in reverse, then chances are somethings got it lodged. Maybe just try reinstalling it and be extra careful about getting it stuck or lodged.
My brother ended up taking apart the actuator and seeing that the white tabs were dislodged and put it back together. Saved me about $275+
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
trumani
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedTurkey View Post
My brother ended up taking apart the actuator and seeing that the white tabs were dislodged and put it back together. Saved me about $275+
Following a different thread also, but how did your brother manage to remove the actuator from the mirror housing? I pulled both the mirror cap and the mirror and don't see a way to remove it:

Here's the other post:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post27606339
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #5
trumani
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive Msport

I've figured it out! I found two other threads that helped. It turns out those clips on the mirror cap side were what was keeping it, but I just wasn't pushing hard enough:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1320296

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1524591
Appreciate 0