09-03-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Winter wheels+tires or just tires?

I see some people here choose to just swap for winter tires keeping stock 21/22 wheels. Alternatively I also see this package available: https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/1...EEL---TIRE-SET

Help me choose the correct option please. What can tilt the correct decision in one direction vs the other?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 11:57 PM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
I see some people here choose to just swap for winter tires keeping stock 21/22 wheels. Alternatively I also see this package available: https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/1...EEL---TIRE-SET

Help me choose the correct option please. What can tilt the correct decision in one direction vs the other?
Swapping tires is supposed to be worse for your tires and rims. Especially with RFT's.

It takes longer than changing the 4 entire wheels.

You can't have normal snow chains on 21 and 22. You need special ones that are more expensive.

It doesn't make sense to have very wide winter
tires. If you encounter a lot of snow and ice during winter I think 20 or 19 inch and 275 is better in order to have more pressure and better grip.

I have 19 inch winters but would have taken 20 if chosen again. 19 is cheaper than 20 and that is also how it looks (a bit, not enough to sell and buy a set of 20)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
This is an entire thread about winter wheel options:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1733903
      09-04-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:

Swapping tires is supposed to be worse for your tires and rims. Especially with RFT's.

You can't have normal snow chains on 21 and 22. You need special ones that are more expensive.

tires. If you encounter a lot of snow and ice during winter I think 20 or 19 inch and 275 is better in order to have more pressure and better grip.

I have 19 inch winters but would have taken 20 if chosen again. 19 is cheaper than 20 and that is also how it looks (a bit, not enough to sell and buy a set of 20)
the X5M doesn't have RFT so I wouldn't worry about that.

issue with our vehicles is there's only a limited option for winter tire/wheel size versus the standard X5.

I live in MA and have always just added snow tires to my rims. quite a bit cheaper but a little more of a hassle having to go to the tire shop or dealer twice a year to swap tires.

if you don't have a problem dropping $5k+ on a winter wheel package, go for it. if you want to spend about $2k, just do tires.

no matter which direction you go, the tire sizing will be pretty wide/ large for optimal snow traction but will definitely get you around.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

issue with our vehicles is there's only a limited option for winter tire/wheel size versus the standard X5.

I live in MA and have always just added snow tires to my rims. quite a bit cheaper but a little more of a hassle having to go to the tire shop or dealer twice a year to swap tires.

if you don't have a problem dropping $5k+ on a winter wheel package, go for it. if you want to spend about $2k, just do tires.

no matter which direction you go, the tire sizing will be pretty wide/ large for optimal snow traction but will definitely get you around.
Didn't see it was for an X5M ??
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

this is the F95/96 M subforum
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      09-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

this is the F95/96 M subforum
Thx. I didn't know there was one. I just look at the new posts in the X5/X6 forum on my phone.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:

Not going to be driving through snow that much - certainly not chain-worthy - mostly just cold weather. I was leaning towards the wheel package - but you're now the 3rd person here doing the tire switch, and given there is a Midas pretty much next door to me I'm now leaning the other way. I assume a tire change would take about as long as it would take me to swap the wheels..?

I suppose cost of the decision depends on how big the 2nd hand market is. Do people buy scuffed wheels (as I'm 100% sure they will be)?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #9
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Not going to be driving through snow that much - certainly not chain-worthy - mostly just cold weather. I was leaning towards the wheel package - but you're now the 3rd person here doing the tire switch, and given there is a Midas pretty much next door to me I'm now leaning the other way. I assume a tire change would take about as long as it would take me to swap the wheels..?

I suppose cost of the decision depends on how big the 2nd hand market is. Do people buy scuffed wheels (as I'm 100% sure they will be)?
Wheels are significantly quicker with no risk of rim damage each time you swap tires.
Appreciate 0