BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > What exhaust when paired with my Fabspeed Sport Cat will give me a deep/angry sound?

09-06-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Recently added the FabSpeed Sport cat and have the itch to add something else to give me a deeper, angrier sound. I'm looking for something that won't add more burbles or sound "exotic" like the Akrapovic. Ideally I'd want to avoid an extremely loud, obnoxious sound, maybe just a 20-30% increase. Now if that's not possible with a sport cat already installed then I can just delete this thread. If it is possible and someone cares to chime in I'm all ears!

I'm debating between Remus Sport (which is more than I'd want to spend) or the Dinan axle back (seems the tips hang low though...) or just simply the Dinan Res Delete (unsure if drone is increased with this option).
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #2
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Deep: Dinan
Angry: Cat-less

Hard to get angry without being obnoxious on this car, but one sure way to do it is to go catless, as it really brightens the tone. No other way I know to do it really. Possibly muffler delete, but then you run into all sorts of crazy sounds.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post

Hard to get angry without being obnoxious on this car, but one sure way to do it is to go catless, as it really brightens the tone. No other way I know to do it really. Possibly muffler delete, but then you run into all sorts of crazy sounds.
Quote:

Maybe Dinan is the way to go and I'll just learn to live with the low hanging tips.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #4
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

I would research on YouTube the various sound clips availabe.

A good example is this (hjs 300 cell catted + Remus)

I have a Remus cat back and it has a great deep tone.
Also an MPE with fabspeed is an amazing combination:

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 09:49 PM   #5
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightM2 View Post
I would research on YouTube the various sound clips availabe.

A good example is this (hjs 300 cell catted + Remus)

I have a Remus cat back and it has a great deep tone.
Also an MPE with fabspeed is an amazing combination:

Man I think that Remus is the winner. Just got to mentally justify the $3k now.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 10:07 PM   #6
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Maybe Dinan is the way to go and I'll just learn to live with the low hanging tips.
Why, any exhaust shop worth their salt can fix that for a hundred bucks?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 10:08 PM   #7
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Why, any exhaust shop worth their salt can fix that for a hundred bucks?
It would just involve welding? I remember seeing a post where someone bought some clamps but they seem to have melted off.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 10:46 PM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
It would just involve welding? I remember seeing a post where someone bought some clamps but they seem to have melted off.
Probably a combination of bending/welding/higher hangers. No issue. I've considered getting the Dinan exhaust myself, and would certainly have it tucked.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #9
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Man I think that Remus is the winner. Just got to mentally justify the $3k now.
Remus is great.
The problem on pairing with a HFC is that it makes the sound more metallicky, if that makes sense. It's not rasp but more of a raw sound.

With just the Remus, it's a refiner deeper tone then you get to the higher revs and it still screams.

Very personal choice IMO.
Appreciate 1
Nicname351.00
      09-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #10
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

The tips do hang a bit low on the Dinan but it doesn't look bad.

Dinan resonator delete instead of the muffler in my opinion, but the muffler is great too. You'll gain that extra bit of volume regardless but the resonator delete is much cheaper.

Alternatively, pair a Fabspeed muffler delete with the sport cat. I know several people who have had no issues when paired with the sport cat and it is a perfect increase in volume.

I personally switched from the Fabspeed to Dinan because of major drone and rattle issues (paired with catless downpipe) but I also bought a second-hand one that wasn't in great condition. I believe the rattles have more to do with my downpipe though.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #11
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy4 View Post
Dinan resonator delete instead of the muffler.
I did the DRD with my Fabspeed sport cat, and it didn't add any rasp, just a bit more volume, and exterior sound artifacts.
Appreciate 1
wassy497.50
      09-08-2020, 09:12 AM   #12
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I did the DRD with my Fabspeed sport cat, and it didn't add any rasp, just a bit more volume, and exterior sound artifacts.
Quote:
Quote:
That might be the safer/cheaper option for me and if I don't like it, I'm sure I can sell it here on the forums.

Would you say the sound is deeper or the same as before except louder in volume?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #13
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Remus is real deep. I had it with the sport cat then went catless.
Appreciate 1
Nicname351.00
      09-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #14
Shahaf2911
Private
Israel
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

I can't give an insight on how it sounds just YET but the route I went with ,after numerous hours of reading and watching videos on YouTube, is the Fabspeed sports cat (waiting for it to arrive) and a res delete.
from all the videos it sound amazing and the biggest bonus is that if by any chance I (or you) won't like or the res delete won't satisfy you it's just a few bucks which could save you a few thousand bucks ahah (and it's not like it's a bad solution in my opinion from the videos it sounds amazing and in about a month I'll be able to give my own full opinion).
So I think if you already have a downpipe and heard a few videos and it sounds good to you, you should definitely give it a try! (But do your research first and then decide if you truly like it or not, there are a few post on this in the forum )
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:46 AM   #15
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
That might be the safer/cheaper option for me and if I don't like it, I'm sure I can sell it here on the forums.

Would you say the sound is deeper or the same as before except louder in volume?
I don't think it's deeper, I just think you can hear the same deep tone more.

The thing you NEED to remember is that you need some sort of restriction in this exhaust to keep it from sounding very bright. Ask anyone that has had a catted down-pipe vs a cat-less and they will tell you, removing the cat makes the exhaust so much brighter/raspier. Of course there is the increased volume as well, but the brightness is what you need to concentrate on.

I myself am looking for the perfect low rumble for this car, and from all the research I've done it's Fabspeed sport cat (or similar) + Remus, but the damn Remus is as expensive as a nice used car, so I'll have to live with what I have until I can find one at a decent price used.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #16
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it's deeper, I just think you can hear the same deep tone more.

The thing you NEED to remember is that you need some sort of restriction in this exhaust to keep it from sounding very bright. Ask anyone that has had a catted down-pipe vs a cat-less and they will tell you, removing the cat makes the exhaust so much brighter/raspier. Of course there is the increased volume as well, but the brightness is what you need to concentrate on.

I myself am looking for the perfect low rumble for this car, and from all the research I've done it's Fabspeed sport cat (or similar) + Remus, but the damn Remus is as expensive as a nice used car, so I'll have to live with what I have until I can find one at a decent price used.
My feelings exactly. Haven't heard any of these options in person but the second I heard the Remus and Fabspeed combo on video, it was my favorite sound so far. The other options sound good but not like the Remus. The only drawback really is the price. There are a few "show samples" available on ebay that I've been monitoring.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #17
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahaf2911 View Post
I can't give an insight on how it sounds just YET but the route I went with ,after numerous hours of reading and watching videos on YouTube, is the Fabspeed sports cat (waiting for it to arrive) and a res delete.
from all the videos it sound amazing and the biggest bonus is that if by any chance I (or you) won't like or the res delete won't satisfy you it's just a few bucks which could save you a few thousand bucks ahah (and it's not like it's a bad solution in my opinion from the videos it sounds amazing and in about a month I'll be able to give my own full opinion).
So I think if you already have a downpipe and heard a few videos and it sounds good to you, you should definitely give it a try! (But do your research first and then decide if you truly like it or not, there are a few post on this in the forum )
Please shoot me a PM when you get them installed, even after a day or two. Would love to know what you think.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #18
S1MB4
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

I just installed a Fabspeed sport cat and a remus exhaust on my M2LCI at the same time and the difference was night and day.

I would highly recommend the combo, it feels like a fighter jet without being obnoxious (imo) and definitely makes you feel like you're driving a performance machine.

Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6636.50
      09-10-2020, 10:10 PM   #19
seanyx11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Mineral Gray

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [9.00]
I also have the Fabspeed sport cat with Remus exhaust and it sounds amazing. Having said that, it's definitely loud with the valves open. Lots of pops and burbles. If that's your thing, then cool, you'll love it. It's a little more subtle with the valves closed, but it's still fairly loud. I personally like the sound better with valves closed, but either way when you give it the business and pedal to the floor...pure sex.
Appreciate 1
Nicname351.00
      09-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

REMUS sounds the best in my opinion with the deepest tone and zero drone

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Nicname351.00
      09-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #21
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I've narrowed it down to either Remus or Dinan. I plan on waiting for Black Friday deals or the next holiday discount and see if I'm willing to splash the cash for the Remus.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestion guys
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #22
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I've narrowed it down to either Remus or Dinan. I plan on waiting for Black Friday deals or the next holiday discount and see if I'm willing to splash the cash for the Remus.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestion guys
If you didn't know the Remus existed it'd be Dinan all the way, and for the price difference, it's probably prudent for you to buy the Dinan first, just to see if it'll work. There really isn't a downside since it's always in high demand, so if you aren't 100% happy you could always unload the Dinan in about 15 seconds.
Appreciate 0