F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Tesla Model 3
proTUNING Freaks

09-08-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Tesla Model 3

No, I have not gone to the dark side. I am still very much an internal combustion kinda guy.

One of the drivers from my fleet however has decided (despite my best efforts to dissuade him) that he wants a Tesla.

I have offered him pretty much everything within reason including the new RS6 and he has declined all offers.
I have also told him he can slap his name down for a new M3 and he has declined that too.

We have just done the deal (online ) to buy one outright and there was literally nothing to spec except colour.

This will be the first full EV we have on the fleet.

Should have it within a few weeks.

Anyone here have one or driven ones?

What are your thoughts on them?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Probably my next daily.

I've driven one on the remarkably efficient 1 hour test drive. Book online, turn up and drive off.

It's an appliance, very efficient at trundling along busy streets. It does handle OK, but nothing exciting even if it does launch pretty well. I am sold on the ease of use. 280mile range every morning. And cheap meaning more pence per mile for my hobby car

I'd fire that person though. T3 over RS6 shows exceptionally poor judgement.
Appreciate 4
sahajesh2294.00
RustyBitz1573.50
Rathian153.50
      09-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #3
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
No, I have not gone to the dark side. I am still very much an internal combustion kinda guy.

One of the drivers from my fleet however has decided (despite my best efforts to dissuade him) that he wants a Tesla.

I have offered him pretty much everything within reason including the new RS6 and he has declined all offers.
I have also told him he can slap his name down for a new M3 and he has declined that too.

We have just done the deal (online ) to buy one outright and there was literally nothing to spec except colour.

Could it be the BIK putting him off? At 40% that’s £11k a year extra for the RS6 over the Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:

Could it be the BIK putting him off? At 40% that’s £11k a year extra for the RS6 over the Tesla.
D'ya think ?
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
speedski547.00
      09-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
D'ya think ?
I did wonder of the OP had a way round this? There have been some mega cars on the fleet before, that presumably someone drove?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

There is a way around it (depending on who you are in the company) where we can make it so BIK is not an issue.

This particularly senior long standing member of staff was afforded the luxury of not having to worry about BIK but still could not be persuaded to take anything other than the Tesla.

The only reason we did not lease it and purchased outright is because my accounts department insisted on it.
They didn't go into detail with me and frankly I didn't care but apparently there are some sort of incentives for the company for doing this.

A lot of the lower level staff would let me fuck their wives in order to be given cars like this senior was offered.
They have all told him he is insane.

I see his reasoning behind the choice.
He does a maximum of 150 miles a day, has had ///M cars, RSs and AMGs before and is allowed to borrow any of the toys on the fleet when he fancys it.

I most certainly would have not made the same choice.

Anyone have any ideas on real world range?

Any other comments on how they drive?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
If he could have had a RS6 could he not have gone for a Taycan?
He could have but thought the Tycan was too attention grabbing.

Thanks for the comments on the model 3, I have just emailed it to him.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I get around 290 miles real range, but bear in mind you shouldn't regularly charge it above 90% or let it get much below 15% (to keep battery in optimum condition) so I would say a normal range of around 200 miles before recharging, he should be fine if he's doing 150 max. Is he home charging overnight?
He will be.

I have just ordered a load of charging points for his house and the office.

Didn't know about over charging it and not letting it drop below 15%.

This will be a learning curve for me too.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

F30Andy the fact that an RS6 was not enough to incentivise the wives to let you fuck them tells us that you are a) heinously ugly, b) have BO and halitosis strong enough to drop an ox and 50 paces, c) a small dick, or d) all of the aforementioned.

Nice try, but there's no hope.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13538.50
      09-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

If he can borrow the likes of the RS6 etc when he feels like it, and has had M/RS cars before, maybe he just fancied a change?

He gets something new but can go back to ICE and 500BHP+ when he wants. Best of both worlds

And your accountant will be writing the full value down after buying which you don't get with leasing
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 02:40 PM   #11
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:

Can I come and work for you?

Do you need any security? A driver perhaps?

Just asking..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 02:53 PM   #12
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f31 335d estoril blue

Quote:
Quote:
I get around 290 miles real range, but bear in mind you shouldn't regularly charge it above 90% or let it get much below 15% (to keep battery in optimum condition) so I would say a normal range of around 200 miles before recharging, he should be fine if he's doing 150 max. Is he home charging overnight?
He will be.

I have just ordered a load of charging points for his house and the office.

Didn't know about over charging it and not letting it drop below 15%.

This will be a learning curve for me too.
Wow... can I ask what you do as a job/company
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #13
E60MKF
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 MY2013

Quote:

The only reason we did not lease it and purchased outright is because my accounts department insisted on it.=
This is due to them wanting to take the 100% tax write off in the first year (FYA). However, you can do this if you use a PCP.

I would recommend getting a PCP as Tesla residuals are awful and trying to sell your car in 3 years or so is quite difficult with many dealerships not even touching teslas.

In the end i handed back our Model S which had nearly £10k negative equity.
BMW F30 MY2014 2014-2015
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #14
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:

fools and their (or companys))money... guy in m3 or rs6 would have my respect any day plus they look so nice unlike the model 3.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 12:53 AM   #15
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Quote:

fools and their (or companys))money... guy in m3 or rs6 would have my respect any day plus they look so nice unlike the model 3.
Why do you date your girlfriend ? she is cheaper to maintain and runs faster though she is ugly. Tells more about you than your girlfriend.
In that analogy, he can bang anyone else's girlfriend whenever he likes and nobody minds.

Perhaps he just fancied electric power (acceleration etc) or it's the result of losing a bet in a round of golf
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 03:55 AM   #16
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
I might sound daft to folk on here with M cars etc and it's not exactly the best looking car in the world but Tesla are attention grabbing, it's a bit crazy for a normal family saloon. When I leave mine on a public charger I put "sentry mode" on (records front/rear/left/right camera's so 4 viewpoints) and rarely do I come back to it without an event being triggered where strangers have came up to look inside the car.
Yes I get this all the time too. Everyone is so interested in the car, and kids think they're brilliant. There's a whole new raft of petrol(EV)heads out there, and they think very differently to the way we do.

To the OP, I have the SR+ Model 3, which uses a single motor and is RWD only. It's the slow one (although in terms of straightline, it would out-drag by 340i MPPSK to 70mph) however it's also around 250kg lighter than the dual motor variants (Long Range and Performance models). It's also around 200kg lighter than my 340i, and you really can feel it.

As for the drive, the steering is very quick, which I like, however it is also a bit vague. I find making an accurate single steering input to a corner difficult, resulting is a bit of sawing at the wheel to achieve my chosen line. However the car has a very position front end, stays extremely flat and is very well tied-down.

And then the absolutely brilliant aspect; the instantaneous and linear throttle response that allows you to drive the car out of the corner on the throttle. In fact the whole powertrain & throttle calibration is superb, and single pedal driving provides a hugely enjoyable and challenging aspect to every drive.

If your chap is getting the Performance model, expect it to be bloody quick too.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 02:58 AM   #17
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Only thing I could say on this is that wouldn't have something that ugly sitting on my drive irrespective of Eco status.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 03:52 AM   #18
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Tell us more about the ways around BIK?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:43 AM   #19
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Tell us more about the ways around BIK?
There is only one legal way that I know of (unless you are a car company) and that is to either give the employee enough extra cash to lease it personally (so up base, then salary sacrifice to cover the lease) or give them enough extra cash to cover the BIK tax impact. Both would fit with the "if you are senior enough" but neither are applicable in most businesses.

If you are a car dealership you can do a personal lease with a cost that is cost to the business, a residual that is the expected residual for that car in a retail world (so maybe the same or higher..) and then just charge interest on the funds "borrowed" plus insurance if you cover it under a group scheme....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #20
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

I have just rented a small place to a young chap in Hook Hampshire and I get to see his financial position and he doesn't earn very much but he drives an M340i. Apparently he works for BMW and he gets a new car every 6 months. I wonder how the tax works on that?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #21
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
I have just rented a small place to a young chap in Hook Hampshire and I get to see his financial position and he doesn't earn very much but he drives an M340i. Apparently he works for BMW and he gets a new car every 6 months. I wonder how the tax works on that?
Not sure there is any

It's a short-term personal lease, not a benefit from the company
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #22
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
see above, the scheme I outlined there is my son in laws at a dealership group but all the big firms do it apparently...

As long as they dont lease it at a loss there is no taxable benefit...
Appreciate 0