E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brief ‘Full engine power no longer available’

09-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #1
Sharkboy97
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 318i 2009

Brief ‘Full engine power no longer available’

Hello, I just bought my first car and it’s a bmw 318i 2009.
The car is in excellent condition.
There was a problem today, I held the rpm at 3000-3300 today for a couple of minutes to get rid of a possible ticking noise because of hydraulic lifter. Anyway, after a couple of minutes of holding the revs, I got a warning saying ‘full engine power no longer available’ on the I-Drive screen. I simply turned off and turned on the engine again and there was no warnings the car is back to normal and I can rev again. I drove it and it launched with no problems or issues. I have read on another forums that some cars give a warning if you rev the car for a long time to not harm the engine. Also my car is low power car so it’s too much strain?

Basically, I just want to know was that warning because I revved it for a long time? Because there’s no issues afterwards.
Also the car just had new coils, spark plugs and new 4 injectors so it’s great condition with just 80k miles.
This is my first ever post thanks.

Last edited by Sharkboy97; 09-12-2020 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

If you want to keep car get a code reader that will read bmw codes.. Also the noise you are probably hearing is the injectors, which are loud on a directed injection vehicle. So no need to hold revs, i actually never heard of that as a fix.m
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
Sharkboy97
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 318i 2009

Thanks for reply. The ticking noise only comes when it’s very cold start. It goes away after few seconds. Do you think it’s a safety feature for the engine to stop me from holding revs of the engine for so long? Because I’m driving it now and there’s no warnings or signs or anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Most likely something occurred that caused the DME to cut power as a safety. Oil or coolant temps may have gotten too high, as a possibility. If you had a capable diagnostic tool, you may find shadow codes that would help determine what happened, a generic code reader likely will not.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
Ager888
Rep
Drives: Bmw 318d e91

When i got this warning the mechanic told me it was maybe some little particle in the gas and it stuck between the injectors. It could be million other rwleasons but look for quality fuel too.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy97 View Post
Hello, I just bought my first car and it’s a bmw 318i 2009.
The car is in excellent condition.
There was a problem today, I held the rpm at 3000-3300 today for a couple of minutes to get rid of a possible ticking noise because of hydraulic lifter. Anyway, after a couple of minutes of holding the revs, I got a warning saying ‘full engine power no longer available’ on the I-Drive screen. I simply turned off and turned on the engine again and there was no warnings the car is back to normal and I can rev again. I drove it and it launched with no problems or issues. I have read on another forums that some cars give a warning if you rev the car for a long time to not harm the engine. Also my car is low power car so it’s too much strain?

Basically, I just want to know was that warning because I revved it for a long time? Because there’s no issues afterwards.
Also the car just had new coils, spark plugs and new 4 injectors so it’s great condition with just 80k miles.
This is my first ever post thanks.
If you plan on holding onto this car for a while and you're interested in lowering your cost of ownership you should get a BMW specific scanning tool and scan the car for codes. After you have the codes, come back and tell us what they are and you can get better advice on this issue. Any advice you receive without a code is pure speculation...
Appreciate 0