F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Mercedes Emissions
Extreme Powerhouse

09-13-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Mercedes Emissions

Any past Diesel Merc owners who have joined one of the emissions schemes to obtain compensation?

A friend of mine has signed up and seems to think if you have had a 2005 Diesel Merc or newer and purchased from new, especially with Adblu you could be in for a £10k windfall.

Last edited by Sennen; 09-13-2020 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
Kam05
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i M Sport Gran Coupe, mppsk

I think this is a con to collect your personal details. FB is plastered full of adverts saying you entitled to compo if you’ve owned a diesel Merc, Audi or any other VAG car in the past
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam05 View Post
I think this is a con to collect your personal details. FB is plastered full of adverts saying you entitled to compo if you’ve owned a diesel Merc, Audi or any other VAG car in the past
Agreed, the Facebook ones definitely are.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam05 View Post
I had both diesel Audi and Merc (2015 and 2012 respectively) and havent joined any claim, we get more like the US by the day and that is not a good thing...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

I have just had a chat with him and he has lodged his details with Slater Gordon and they apparently have been very good at keeping him advised of progress.

I will probably give it a go when i get back home.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

These things take years to play out in court and are not without risks. Just because it's no win no fee does not mean it's risk free. There are few law firms representing the action in the UK. The terms and conditions are stringent e.g. must respond to any communication when called upon and failing to do so could have your representation revoked. I thought about it for our Mercedes C250d which has ad blue but there is no point. Mercedes seem confident they will crush any case that comes their way. The UK law firm seems confident but in reality who has an army of lawyers?! Mercedes were already exposed when VW Dieselgate happened. The reward could be £0-1000 after all fees are taken. I highly doubt it would be in the £1000's. I can see how some might see it as a get rich quick but it could also backfire. I think any case would fall apart. Might be nice though... ten years down the line and you receive a £1000 payment out of the blue. You never know.

There are reputable firms. Verified by Money Saving Expert etc. If you research the firms they are pretty big and busy firms. I think one was PMG in Portsmouth or something.
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      09-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #7
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
These things take years to play out in court and are not without risks. Just because it's no win no fee does not mean it's risk free. There are few law firms representing the action in the UK. The terms and conditions are stringent e.g. must respond to any communication when called upon and failing to do so could have your representation revoked. I thought about it for our Mercedes C250d which has ad blue but there is no point. Mercedes seem confident they will crush any case that comes their way. The UK law firm seems confident but in reality who has an army of lawyers?! Mercedes were already exposed when VW Dieselgate happened. The reward could be £0-1000 after all fees are taken. I highly doubt it would be in the £1000's. I can see how some might see it as a get rich quick but it could also backfire. I think any case would fall apart. Might be nice though... ten years down the line and you receive a £1000 payment out of the blue. You never know.

There are reputable firms. Verified by Money Saving Expert etc. If you research the firms they are pretty big and busy firms. I think one was PMG in Portsmouth or something.
Yes i think 10k is probably a bit rich but I have had 3 Diesel Mercs in the timeframe so i might as well give it a whirl. Even if it is only £500 per vehicle it is £1500 that is better off in my pocket.

From what i can work out the 2 reputable firms are Leigh Day and Slater Gordon and they want circa 30% plus vat of any compensation obtained and they guarantee there will be no cost to the customer even if a claim is unsuccessful.

We might need every penny we can lay our hands on in the next few years if the shitstorm hits as i expect
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      09-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

These big firms wouldn't take it on as no win-no fee unless they thought there was a good chance of winning.

As per above, it may take a while if it ever happens but who's gonna turn down a payment of several hundred pounds etc for minimal work?
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      09-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #9
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
These big firms wouldn't take it on as no win-no fee unless they thought there was a good chance of winning.

As per above, it may take a while if it ever happens but who's gonna turn down a payment of several hundred pounds etc for minimal work?
Thats my thoughts too, nothing ventured nothing gained, i will give them a tinkle tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Thats my thoughts too, nothing ventured nothing gained, i will give them a tinkle tomorrow.
What was the specific issue with Mercedes? See "with AdBlue" is mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #11
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
What was the specific issue with Mercedes? See "with AdBlue" is mentioned.
I havent got a clue Pete, first i heard of it was today.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #12
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Mercedes have been accused of gaming the emissions tests same as VW. It is alleged that the PCM software has the infamous "Bit 15" that turns off certain emissions control features after 16 km. Mercedes are fighting it here in the US with gusto.

They beat a class action suit over here on that god awful 7-speed transmission a few years back, and if they can do that then the emissions suit will be a walkover for them.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      09-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #13
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post

Yes i think 10k is probably a bit rich but I have had 3 Diesel Mercs in the timeframe so i might as well give it a whirl. Even if it is only £500 per vehicle it is £1500 that is better off in my pocket.

From what i can work out the 2 reputable firms are Leigh Day and Slater Gordon and they want circa 30% plus vat of any compensation obtained and they guarantee there will be no cost to the customer even if a claim is unsuccessful.

We might need every penny we can lay our hands on in the next few years if the shitstorm hits as i expect
Weren't Leigh Day the company who brought false claims of torture against the British army which were proved to be a load of bollocks?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #14
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post

They will have bought an insurance policy to cover their costs if they dont win so its a fairly limited gamble.

And I am glad you said big firm, dealing with Slater Gordon for work (from the defendants perspective) I would say they are shit / chancers / a pain in the arse and ambulance chasers...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #15
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:

Wouldn’t you rather any money ‘won’ go towards fighting environmental and biodiversity destruction, as let’s face it that’s what’s been really hurt by all this stuff....and I don’t want to hear about your mpg.
Appreciate 2
Sennen1733.50
Soul_Glo13347.00
      09-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #16
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
Wouldn’t you rather any money ‘won’ go towards fighting environmental and biodiversity destruction, as let’s face it that’s what’s been really hurt by all this stuff....and I don’t want to hear about your mpg.

No it will be going into my Lotus/Porsche/Caterham fund to piss Greta off
Appreciate 4
335dX430.00
Soul_Glo13347.00
KRS_SN13537.00
DB118D1026.00
      09-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #17
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote: