BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > F20 Steering rack repair kit - unavailable?

09-16-2020, 04:23 AM   #1
vladine
Rep
Drives: F20 LCI 125i

F20 Steering rack repair kit - unavailable?

Greetings all,

I have an issue with light knock coming from the steering (rack, column or whatever). After reading through many posts regarding repair kits for BMW's in general, I did not find anything with my particular situation.

Realoem does show a kit available for my production 11/2016, 125i, but when I bought it, it is completely different.

I have found no kits that looked like mine (picture below, left one is from the steering rack and the right one is from the repair kit). I asked multiple parts shops and dealers and they confirmed that this does not have a repair kit.

Has anyone else had this? The big question and main problem is, what can I do now? I do have the knocking noise and several garages quoted me for a brand new steering rack and lower end of the steering column and I don't even wanna say how much it all costs.

Is this really the only way?

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by vladine; 10-31-2020 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
oliverpool
Rep
Drives: 116D

I can’t see your picture but it seems like the repair kit is only for racks where that parts has 2 o-rings in it. In my car that part only has 1
o-ring. If you do find a solution please do update
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 03:13 PM   #3
vladine
Rep

Sorry for the pic, it's not attached anymore. You are correct, for the part that has only 1 o-ring it seems that there is no repair kit. I managed to reduce the noise (that clank noise) by applying OEM BMW Vaseline on the inside part (the one with the o-ring) and tightening up the exterior screw. Hope it helps. 😁
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #4
_Fred_
Registered
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladine View Post
Greetings all,

I have an issue with light knock coming from the steering (rack, column or whatever). After reading through many posts regarding repair kits for BMW's in general, I did not find anything with my particular situation.

Realoem does show a kit available for my production 11/2016, 125i, but when I bought it, it is completely different.

I have found no kits that looked like mine (picture below, left one is from the steering rack and the right one is from the repair kit). I asked multiple parts shops and dealers and they confirmed that this does not have a repair kit.

Has anyone else had this? The big question and main problem is, what can I do now? I do have the knocking noise and several garages quoted me for a brand new steering rack and lower end of the steering column and I don't even wanna say how much it all costs.

Is this really the only way?

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, I'm Fred from Italy. I'm owner of a series 1 116d.
Sorry if I get an old tread back, but I wanted to ask vladine how he did to remove the bushing, the one I have has no grip to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
vladine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Fred_ View Post
Hi, I'm Fred from Italy. I'm owner of a series 1 116d.
Sorry if I get an old tread back, but I wanted to ask vladine how he did to remove the bushing, the one I have has no grip to do it.
Hi Fred,

If you refer to the black metal thing that's inside the steering rack, I've used two small flat screwdrivers and kind of wiggle it out.

Hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 07:28 PM   #6
moonriver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 -E90 -F30 - F10 520i

vladine : any news? I also look for it but no part available
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 08:23 AM   #7
OphionBH
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i 2013

Hi everyone
i have the same issue. even bought the (wrong) repair kit.
Im going to try to tighten a bit more, but im afraid to damage de the thread
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 04:07 PM   #8
_Fred_
Registered
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 116ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladine View Post
Hi Fred,

If you refer to the black metal thing that's inside the steering rack, I've used two small flat screwdrivers and kind of wiggle it out.

Hope it helps.
Sorry for delay, but i forget the password.
In any case I solved with this tool.

Many thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0