E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Instrument Cluster Issue

09-18-2020, 12:56 AM   #1
KZOOe92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Instrument Cluster Issue

Hey all,

My cluster went dead in my 08 335xi today. I've scoured existing threads and although there are a ton about the issues of swapping out used and coding, I don't see any good info about my issue and whether it can be determined that the cluster is bad.

Details:
all is dead, speedo, tach, all lights..... except
the two info screens are glowing orange, even with the car turned off.
OBDII is showing fault codes of U112B (no message from cluster), U1101 (component protection..?..?) and P1407 and P1408 (both DME: fuel level sensor: signal)
I looked at fuzes 2 and 58 and they look good.
The battery is at least 6 years old but the car cranks with gusto.

Oddities:
2 weeks ago or so I lost my audio and after digging through posts here I was ready to buy a satellite receiver but the next day that everything came back and it's been fine since.
In the cold of last winter my car clock was losing minutes every couple of days. Right now, the time is missing and when I re-set it, it doesn't stick.

https://ibb.co/sVkxzRC (pic of orange glow)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 01:46 AM   #2
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

Start with the battery
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:18 AM   #3
KZOOe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Will do. Is there a way to register the battery without paying the dealer to do it?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
KZOOe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Go figure.... today the cluster is back up.

I've got an appointment for an oil change and (probably new battery) with the dealer tomorrow.

Last edited by KZOOe92; 09-19-2020 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

You can register the battery a few ways; purchase the iCarly for BMW app, or download BMW standard tools onto your laptop and code it that way, or have someone remote code it through your laptop. You'll need a DCAN cable and possible phone adapter for these methods though
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #6
KZOOe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just heard back from the dealer..... the cluster is operating fine so they didnt do anything with it. They did notice fault codes tied to the cluster so they think its going bad. The employee who set my appointment failed to note the audio issue and thus they didnt question the battery.

They were able to verify that the battery is almost exactly 6 years old.

I’m still curious if anyone has seen the cluster go non-responsive but with the orange glow in the two info screens (picture link in the original post).

Thanks for the info above on the battery. Do I need a cable or can i use my wifi OBDII adapter? Also, is there an app for iOS or will i need to use my laptop?

Last edited by KZOOe92; 09-19-2020 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
KZOOe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Also.... they quoted me $1675 on the cluster replacement. Ugh.....
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #8
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

What wifi adaptor do you have?.. There is a few apps for ios, Carly and Bimmerlink.. I personally would get an Android just for car and run Protools (diagnostic), it can do much more than the other two if phone is what you want. All these cost money and can be used with certain wifi adaptors.

The laptop does have free software that can do it so have to take that into consideration...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:11 PM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZOOe92 View Post
... 08 335xi... all is dead, speedo, tach, all lights..... except the two info screens are glowing orange, even with the car turned off. OBDII is showing fault codes of U112B (no message from cluster), U1101 (component protection..?..?) and P1407 and P1408 (both DME: fuel level sensor: signal) [E9x has TWO Fuel Level Sensors which connect to the JBE, and you have a fault code related to EACH.] I looked at fuzes 2 and 58 and they look good. The battery is at least 6 years old but the car cranks with gusto. [Battery is NOT your problem if Starter Cranks. I presume engine runs as well? Have you measured battery voltage at Jumpstart Terminals, BOTH with engine OFF & Engine Running (Alternator Charging)? All other Accessories, e.g. radio, A/C Blower, Windows, seats, etc. also work normally?]...
Quote:
Go figure.... today the cluster is back up. I've got an appointment for an oil change and (probably new battery) with the dealer tomorrow.
Quote:
Just heard back from the dealer..... the cluster is operating fine so they didnt do anything with it. They did notice fault codes tied to the cluster so they think its going bad...Also, is there an app for iOS or will i need to use my laptop?
Quote:
Have you had any water in either footwell recently? Have you had the Blower Harness Recall performed on your vehicle recently?

Double Ugh, your KOMBI/Instrument Cluster is likely FINE. I don't suppose they took 5 minutes to unfasten the Cluster and check the Connector on the Rear of Cluster? You would save yourself a LOT of time & $Money$ if you would spend a few hours learning how to use TIS Online Service Manual, and/or ISTA (Rheingold). You suggested you have a Laptop?

If you have any Windows 10 Laptop, ALL you need to do BETTER Diagnosis (at least with help from Forums) of your issues than the Dealer who looked at your car, is a $45 BimmerGeeks K+DCAN Cable to connect the OBD II Socket of your vehicle to the USB Port of your Laptop. While awaiting shipment of Cable, go to BimmerGeeks "Downloads" Web page & download (1) BMW Standard Tools, (2) E89 Datens (which all E9x models use), and (3) Rheingold which is ISTA+. When you "Unzip" the compressed files, you will find installation instructions. Simply follow those, and let us know if you have ANY issues, either with downloads or Installation.

ISTA has the added bonus of providing TIS "Documents" which include the "SSP" wiring diagrams, with Explanatory Information, NOT found in newTIS.info online, via "Overview". I Link TIS pages here, AND WILL attach ISTA ScreenPrints to a later post so you and others can SEE what type of information is available in ISTA.

Here is the TIS Link for the Instrument Cluster wiring diagram in your vehicle, along with K-CAN bus system:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...luster/jPWkjxB
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...x15006/dFVIiY8

If you take a moment to examine the "A2a Instrument Cluster" Control Unit wiring diagram, you will see that the ONLY devices which have "discreet wiring" or signals via a "dedicated" wire to the Instrument Cluster are the B/C switch on the Turn Signal Stalk (which apparently worked even though the instrument cluster was blank?) and the Ambient Temp Sensor. ALL the other Inputs or Signals, such as Tach, Speedo, warning lights, Fuel Gauge, etc. are via the K-CAN Bus, which connects at Pins 6 & 7 of Connector X11175 behind the Cluster. The Procedure for Removal of the Instrument Cluster is Also provided in TIS:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...luster/FrvJWQf

The attached ISTA Screenprint (Attached to later post so as NOT to destroy margins) shows NOT ONLY the same wiring diagram, but the additional explanation of wire functions that appears when you click on "Overview" button, and then "Lines" button in the ISTA program (don't even need to be connected to your vehicle to see that information, just enter Last-7 of VIN in box which appears when Select Operations/New > Read Out Vehicle Data). You can then Click "Vehicle Management > Repair/Maintenance > Text Search (Tab Sequence), and Search for documents (such as wiring diagrams (SSP), Pinouts (PIB), Installation Locations (EBO), etc. Simply enter Component Name (such as "Instrument Cluster", or "A2a" if you know Component Code), and get a list of available documents related to that component, topic, etc. I also attach screens showing Installation Location, Connector View, and Connector "Pinout" which is another way of providing information shown on wiring diagram.

Your "Intermittent" issues sound more like a loose or corroded connector, either at the KOMBI (Instrument Cluster) module or at the JBE Module connector. I would suggest installing BMW Standard Tools (required BEFORE installing ISTA, & it also includes INPA diagnostic Software), and then ISTA, so you can, with the help of Forum Members, Diagnose most anything WITHOUT paying $Thousand$ to others.

I will attach Full-sized ISTA ScreenPrints to a later post, so you can get a better idea of the information available in ISTA (and TIS) without destroying Margins of this post.

George
Appreciate 1
Thumbie95.50
      09-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Here are ISTA ScreenPrints showing:
1) A2a KOMBI wiring diagram with Overview, Lines Identification;
2) KOMBI Connector 11175, Connector View;
3) X11175 PIB, Pinout for KOMBI Connector

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Thumbie95.50
      09-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #11
KZOOe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafish View Post
What wifi adaptor do you have?.. There is a few apps for ios, Carly and Bimmerlink.. I personally would get an Android just for car and run Protools (diagnostic), it can do much more than the other two if phone is what you want. All these cost money and can be used with certain wifi adaptors.

The laptop does have free software that can do it so have to take that into consideration...
This is the adapter I have - https://www.amazon.com/Foseal-Improv...0625773&sr=8-8 I use the iphone/ipad app Auto Doctor and although it's functional, it's the most non-robust piece of software possible.... at least the free version is.

I don't own anything Android but my laptop is running W10.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 01:39 PM   #12
KZOOe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Have you had any water in either footwell recently? Have you had the Blower Harness Recall performed on your vehicle recently?

Double Ugh, your KOMBI/Instrument Cluster is likely FINE. I don't suppose they took 5 minutes to unfasten the Cluster and check the Connector on the Rear of Cluster? You would save yourself a LOT of time & $Money$ if you would spend a few hours learning how to use TIS Online Service Manual, and/or ISTA (Rheingold). You suggested you have a Laptop?

If you have any Windows 10 Laptop, ALL you need to do BETTER Diagnosis (at least with help from Forums) of your issues than the Dealer who looked at your car, is a $45 BimmerGeeks K+DCAN Cable to connect the OBD II Socket of your vehicle to the USB Port of your Laptop. While awaiting shipment of Cable, go to BimmerGeeks "Downloads" Web page & download (1) BMW Standard Tools, (2) E89 Datens (which all E9x models use), and (3) Rheingold which is ISTA+. When you "Unzip" the compressed files, you will find installation instructions. Simply follow those, and let us know if you have ANY issues, either with downloads or Installation.
No water in the footwell but funny you mention that. Leading up to the audio issue I had a cooler in the trunk that leaked but nothing was soaked..... just damp. The audio came back before I determined whether the audio components were under the trunk bed or on the side opposite the battery (I saw info indicating both while scouring le interwebs for answers).

Honestly, I don't think I've had any recall items done in the 8 years I've owned the car. It's still at the dealer (picking up tomorrow). I can call and ask about any open recall items before I pick it up. There should be a list somewhere, right?

My laptop is running W10 so I'll go ahead and get the cable (wifi adapter won't work, right?).

Thanks guys for all the info. The diagrams might just be over my head but I think I can do the rest.

Again, THANK YOU!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:40 PM   #13
KZOOe92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just realized I missed this comment - "[Battery is NOT your problem if Starter Cranks. I presume engine runs as well? Have you measured battery voltage at Jumpstart Terminals, BOTH with engine OFF & Engine Running (Alternator Charging)? All other Accessories, e.g. radio, A/C Blower, Windows, seats, etc. also work normally?]..."

engine runs perfectly. Other than the mystery audio issue that lasted 2 days everything is fine..... mirrors, seats, roof panel, radio (now), windows.....

I am picking up my car from the dealer today. I just left them a message about recall items and asked if they would check the voltage.

Last edited by KZOOe92; 09-21-2020 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #14
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Checkout Codingandclusters.

And you can get custom lighting for less than 1/8 that price!

He posts here all the time.

I got a custom cluster from him already virginized.
Appreciate 0