F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > etiquette
GetBMWParts

09-18-2020, 06:18 AM   #1
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
etiquette

In the time I've been on bimmerpost I've had numerous private messages exchanges from members here where we have discussed cars suspension upgrades tyres etc and its been great.
In the last few days One foum member sent me a private email asking if I had got a good deal on my x5 and who i dealt with could I advise etc.
I sent a detailed email back immediately with the Deal I got and other details.
Not even a thank you message in return but I see that he is active here since then on X5 posts etc asking for advice on specifications etc.
Have any others here got any tips on how to deal with how I am feeling or am I just being sensitive.
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      09-18-2020, 06:25 AM   #2
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
In the time I've been on bimmerpost I've had numerous private messages exchanges from members here where we have discussed cars suspension upgrades tyres etc and its been great.
In the last few days One foum member sent me a private email asking if I had got a good deal on my x5 and who i dealt with could I advise etc.
Not even a thank you message in return but I see that he is active here since then on X5 posts etc asking for advice on specifications etc.
Have any others here got any tips on how to deal with how I am feeling or am I just being sensitive.
A private message back might have been better before a public one. I’m sure the person would have responded.

I had the same last week. Someone asked me for deal and contact details on the U.K. Forces and NHS deal. I sent them through and nothing on the thread where I said I’d PM’d and no reply to the PM.

However, 2 other people did the same the week before and were polite and responsive.

I just put it down to the other person being a bit busy, forgot, even email inboxes get full on here and you don’t even notice. I just didn’t worry about it.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      09-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #3
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Only note of caution I'd add is that PMs for me don't seem very reliable - sometimes they don't send, others I know of but I haven't received - and I keep the various mailboxes empty enough... maybe it just happens to me?
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription Pro
2003 Honda S2000
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 07:37 AM   #4
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

The manners of the British Public is getting worse by the day and it isnt just the youngsters.

Yesterday whilst walking the dog I was stopped by a well off looking lady walker in her 60s who asked for some directions. I gave her some very detailed help and then she just turned round and walked away without muttering a word let alone a 'thank you' !!!

You can by a 2 million pound house, you can buy a Ferrari but no amount of money will buy class !!!
Appreciate 4
KRS_SN13538.50
rich100874.50
1 AKY459.00
      09-18-2020, 09:25 AM   #5
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
The manners of the British Public is getting worse by the day and it isnt just the youngsters.

Yesterday whilst walking the dog I was stopped by a well off looking lady walker in her 60s who asked for some directions. I gave her some very detailed help and then she just turned round and walked away without muttering a word let alone a 'thank you' !!!

You can by a 2 million pound house, you can buy a Ferrari but no amount of money will buy class !!!
That reminds of the story of when The Bonzo Dog Band were touring in America. The band were reportedly stopped by a local sheriff and asked if they were carrying any firearms or drugs. When they denied both, the officer asked how they were going to defend themselves. The wonderful Vivian Stanshall piped up from the back of the minibus, 'With good manners!'

(One for the oldies, the under 60's have probably never heard of them)
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13538.50
      09-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
A private message back might have been better before a public one. I’m sure the person would have responded.

I had the same last week. Someone asked me for deal and contact details on the U.K. Forces and NHS deal. I sent them through and nothing on the thread where I said I’d PM’d and no reply to the PM.

However, 2 other people did the same the week before and were polite and responsive.

I just put it down to the other person being a bit busy, forgot, even email inboxes get full on here and you don’t even notice. I just didn’t worry about it.
If that was me, sorry
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Lol.....think people are getting quite touchy!! A reply is polite and I would have said thanks, but I wouldnt ask about ‘how do I deal with how I’m feeling’.......🤣

Sorry mate I’m just taking the piss and I know everyone is different 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 12:24 PM   #8
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Oh man. That's why I disabled my PM box. I had an e-stalker who kept messaging me about his car queries. Any time I said make a thread he said people never responded. That's not true. They did. We must have exchanged over 20 messages not one thank you. Wanted my number to discuss more things and I politely declined. Some people. Give them an inch they take a yard.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13538.50
      09-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #9
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
If that was me, sorry
Nope, not you.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13538.50
      09-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post

In my experience, the rudest generation of people have been the boomers. The elderly of my youth were polite, respectful, strong willed and grateful for what they have. A segment of the [approaching] elderly now I am in middle age is nothing like that. Entitled, impatient and with a complete lack of understanding of the difficulties that young people now face.

The young will always push a few boundaries, every generation before us and after us has done and will do the same, but on the whole I think the current generation of "youth" are pretty good.

Just my personal experience, obviously.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13538.50
      09-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #11
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
no not you you did reply thanks im all good as i have had a reply from the one who made me cry lol.
have a great weekend folks.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Everyone to the X5 forum to see if any regulars are asking questions?
      09-18-2020, 02:35 PM   #13
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Sometimes people are a bit rude. Sometimes busy. As one of life's genuinely very busy people I am often apologising for not replying. In fact, this has genuinely just jogged my memory on someone I promised to call today!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #14
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
In my experience, the rudest generation of people have been the boomers. The elderly of my youth were polite, respectful, strong willed and grateful for what they have. A segment of the [approaching] elderly now I am in middle age is nothing like that. Entitled, impatient and with a complete lack of understanding of the difficulties that young people now face.

The young will always push a few boundaries, every generation before us and after us has done and will do the same, but on the whole I think the current generation of "youth" are pretty good.

Just my personal experience, obviously.
Agree with you there.
Obviously we find exceptions to that generalisation every now and then, but on the whole your observations are pretty darn accurate.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #15
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
Sometimes people are a bit rude. Sometimes busy. As one of life's genuinely very busy people I am often apologising for not replying. In fact, this has genuinely just jogged my memory on someone I promised to call today!
What makes you a genuinely busy person? are all the other people faking being busy?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #16
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
What makes you a genuinely busy person? are all the other people faking being busy?
I don't know, I've not seen any other forum members' diaries.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 03:27 PM   #17
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Agree OP. Similar with a little help from me. I knew if 2 available M2CS cars, someone messaged me...I replied with the dealer details and not even a thanks response.

Ignorant and rude.
      09-19-2020, 05:30 PM   #18
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Agree OP. Similar with a little help from me. I knew if 2 available M2CS cars, someone messaged me...I replied with the dealer details and not even a thanks response.

Ignorant and rude.
their time spent in saying a simple thank you is of greater value to them than the time you spent in replying to their request out of your own goodwill.
In my case a 2 sentence question was replied to by a 20 sentence answer from me but its just me perhaps ignore or send a short smartarse answer or even better a few smileys is the norm these days.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      09-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #19
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I still think some messages go missing on here, so try to think the best if I don’t get a reply. I always reply to every message I get.

But I know when I advertised my car for sale someone told me he’d sent a couple of messages and I hadn’t received either. I’ve also been told I was sent a message only to find it weeks later on my profile where people can leave messages. They don’t show up n your inbox so it’s difficult to see they’ve been left unless you look at your profile.
Appreciate 0