F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Recommended mid-range TV in case of interest
GetBMWParts

09-19-2020, 04:58 AM   #1
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Recommended mid-range TV in case of interest

In case of interest I thought I’d recommend a bit of a bargain TV I’ve just bought.

Got a 65’ LG OLED for the man cave earlier in the year, so had thought that was my TV spend for the year done. Unfortunately the 60’ TV in the family room then went pop ten days ago - couldn’t stomach OLED expense so was looking for a cheapish TV to cater for more casual viewing (kids’ Netflix etc).

Having had a Philips Ambilight TV, which I really liked, back when 1080P was just starting to be mainstream I decided to take a punt on this:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...07671-pdt.html

Long and short, a bit of a bargain and gets much much closer to the picture of my OLED and my Parents’ QLED than I would have imagined. Black level performance is particularly surprising. Might have something to do with it having the same processor at their OLEDs from last year.

A real bargain imho and they also do 50’ @ £499 and 70’ at £849. In isolation I’d certainly say you’d question the need to spend more. Even the Android OS, which I’ve heard criticised in the past, seems pretty intuitive and easy to use.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 05:37 AM   #2
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Thanks for the information, very handy when looking at not spending mega money on a decent tv. Our Panasonic 40 has been going for 8 years despite my need for it to break and buy a new one, it just keeps going!

Another decent brand there and I think they use LG screens, but might be wrong.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 06:23 AM   #3
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
We just bought a new tv, 43" LG for £280, as the backlight on our old tv went, and would have been almost £200 to get fixed.

It's got SmartTV, LED, built-in freesat, and came with a half-price Blu-ray player so £300 all-in.

It's a massive improvement over the first flat-screen tv I bought, back in 2008 at a cost of £1000 for a Panasonic plasma.

Technology has improved and prices have dropped significantly. What's good enough for "most people" is pretty reasonable price now.

Even the speakers of today's flat-screens are far better than 10 years ago. They sound just as good as the old sound bar we had. I'm sure modern sound bars will be even better though.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

Yes totally agree, the Philips tv's are great value for money, especially since supporting all the different HDR formats. Their pricing is very good this year.

I'm after a decent 40/43" for the bedroom. Most likely hold out for a Panasonic for a VA panel (don't need the viewing angles of an IPS).

For anybody wanting spec info on TV's these websites are a good place to start.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en

Rtings is an American website so model numbers can be slightly different to UK.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #5
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Agreed, bought a 43" 7334 model just before lockdown to replace our otherwise faultless 2006 Philips predecessor.
The apps are nice and responsive, the picture easy on the eye when the isf setting is used. Ambilight is as usual a fantastic feature that I wouldn't wish to go without now. All round great value for money.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 06:29 AM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Only advice I will give is avoid Toshiba sets. The specs can look good for a price but IMO the OS and worse thrbWiFi connection in unbearable.

I'm tempted to sell locally at a giveaway and move on.

Infact I feel inspired I will do just that. With the PS5 about it launch I think me and the lad (he's Xbox boo) deserve a little treat.