F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > New Car - something a bit different
GetBMWParts

09-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

New Car - something a bit different

Having had 4 bmws in a row (335d, m140i, x4 35d, 340i mppsk) it was time for something a bit different, and as I'm not using the car as much as I used to I wanted to save a few £££ over what I had been paying for the 340i touring.

Managed to get a cracking deal on a 1yr old dealer owned Volvo S60 T5 R Design. With just 7k on the clock it was 55% of its list price when new, which felt like a really good buy.

It's non metallic black and the paint was swirled to death, so I've machine polished the whole car, looks a dam sight better now!

For those that don't know, the T5 has a 250bhp 2L turbo petrol, with a torque converter auto box. This car has the Polestar Optimisation which is supposed to improve the gearbox and throttle responsiveness, and in Polestar mode it feels pretty sharp, I have heard of complaints around the gearbox but honestly it's 95% as good as the zf8 i, so I can only assume the upgrade does some good.

Power wise its obviously down 100bhp or so on the 340i mppsk, and it's noticeable, but really 250bhp is enough for everyday driving, it's certainly not slow. Its fairly quiet and any engine noise you do hear isn't really anything to write home about, you get a bit of induction noise and the blow off of the turbo, but not much else.

Compared to the f31 it's a far nicer looking car both inside and out, it's better looking imo than the g20 as well. Interior is minimalist but really good quality and the tech you get is miles ahead of the bmws.

This car has basically no options bar the polestar upgrade and a spare wheel, but still includes: electric & heated nappa leather seats, heads up display, led bending lights, self driving pilot assist, reversing camera, apple carplay and android auto, speed & road sign recognition, folding mirrors, keyless entry and a load of safety stuff.

Inside everything is controlled through the central touch screen, which makes the design very clean. It's a really good system, and probably the most tablet like of any infotainment system, however real buttons are still preferable imo for certain things, namely the climate control settings, but clearly this is the way the industry is going. The digital display is miles better than you get in any bmw, you get the map in the centre like on the Audi virtual cockpit and the layout is a lot better than the new backwards rev counter on the bmws. Heads up display is new to me as well, and it's really good, with current speed, speed limit, other signs of note and navigation all shown, really crisp and easy to use, I find I never really look at the dash anymore.

Refinement in better than the F31, which isn't really saying much and overall its a far nicer place to sit. The seats attract rave reviews and I can see why, they are probably the most comfortable seats I have ever been in. Really good lateral support as well, and you get adjustable lumbar support as standard.

Clearly I have lost some performance and the great noise, but the volvo is better in pretty much every other regard, obviously it's a much newer model, it's actually slightly newer than the g20, so you would expect it to be better, but it feels like an upgrade for £250 less per month, so win win.

A few pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
KRS_SN13537.00
Soul_Glo13347.00
Rbrown2765.50
      09-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #2
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Beautiful ride! Always liked Volvo’s designs.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 11:37 PM   #3
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Very nice. I nearly pulled the plug on a V90 R Design Plus last year before I plumped for my VW Arteon, it really was a very nice car and the family loved it but Volvo were being greedy with their finance deals so walked away in the end.

How are you saving £250 a month over your 340i?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:40 AM   #4
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
Having had 4 bmws in a row (335d, m140i, x4 35d, 340i mppsk) it was time for something a bit different, and as I'm not using the car as much as I used to I wanted to save a few £££ over what I had been paying for the 340i touring.

Managed to get a cracking deal on a 1yr old dealer owned Volvo S60 T5 R Design. With just 7k on the clock it was 55% of its list price when new, which felt like a really good buy.

It's non metallic black and the paint was swirled to death, so I've machine polished the whole car, looks a dam sight better now!

For those that don't know, the T5 has a 250bhp 2L turbo petrol, with a torque converter auto box. This car has the Polestar Optimisation which is supposed to improve the gearbox and throttle responsiveness, and in Polestar mode it feels pretty sharp, I have heard of complaints around the gearbox but honestly it's 95% as good as the zf8 i, so I can only assume the upgrade does some good.

Power wise its obviously down 100bhp or so on the 340i mppsk, and it's noticeable, but really 250bhp is enough for everyday driving, it's certainly not slow. Its fairly quiet and any engine noise you do hear isn't really anything to write home about, you get a bit of induction noise and the blow off of the turbo, but not much else.

Compared to the f31 it's a far nicer looking car both inside and out, it's better looking imo than the g20 as well. Interior is minimalist but really good quality and the tech you get is miles ahead of the bmws.

This car has basically no options bar the polestar upgrade and a spare wheel, but still includes: electric & heated nappa leather seats, heads up display, led bending lights, self driving pilot assist, reversing camera, apple carplay and android auto, speed & road sign recognition, folding mirrors, keyless entry and a load of safety stuff.

Inside everything is controlled through the central touch screen, which makes the design very clean. It's a really good system, and probably the most tablet like of any infotainment system, however real buttons are still preferable imo for certain things, namely the climate control settings, but clearly this is the way the industry is going. The digital display is miles better than you get in any bmw, you get the map in the centre like on the Audi virtual cockpit and the layout is a lot better than the new backwards rev counter on the bmws. Heads up display is new to me as well, and it's really good, with current speed, speed limit, other signs of note and navigation all shown, really crisp and easy to use, I find I never really look at the dash anymore.

Refinement in better than the F31, which isn't really saying much and overall its a far nicer place to sit. The seats attract rave reviews and I can see why, they are probably the most comfortable seats I have ever been in. Really good lateral support as well, and you get adjustable lumbar support as standard.

Clearly I have lost some performance and the great noise, but the volvo is better in pretty much every other regard, obviously it's a much newer model, it's actually slightly newer than the g20, so you would expect it to be better, but it feels like an upgrade for £250 less per month, so win win.

A few pics:
Inscription?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:54 AM   #5
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Inscription?
R design plus
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      09-21-2020, 01:56 AM   #6
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Very nice. I nearly pulled the plug on a V90 R Design Plus last year before I plumped for my VW Arteon, it really was a very nice car and the family loved it but Volvo were being greedy with their finance deals so walked away in the end.

How are you saving £250 a month over your 340i?
The pcp plus the road tax is 250 quid cheaper per month. Mpg about the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 03:01 AM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Very nice. I am a Volvo fan (had a fair few before including an original T5 850!) and have been looking at the current crop as my daily. However I would want the estate and the secondhand price difference between the V60 and the S60 is significant.

I took my last owned Volvo - an S60 of the prior shape - from 30k to 155k in 3.5 years with very little needing fixing.

Good luck with the car and thanks for the post.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 03:37 AM   #8
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Very nice. I am a Volvo fan (had a fair few before including an original T5 850!) and have been looking at the current crop as my daily. However I would want the estate and the secondhand price difference between the V60 and the S60 is significant.

I took my last owned Volvo - an S60 of the prior shape - from 30k to 155k in 3.5 years with very little needing fixing.

Good luck with the car and thanks for the post.
The range is really good at the moment, literally every car they have on sale ticks the boxes. I prefer the looks of the s60 over the v60 and as you say the used prices are a lot more appealing.

Last edited by NotGotABimmer23; 09-21-2020 at 03:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 03:41 AM   #9
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Sounds like a positive trade-off all things considered. Think on both the exterior and interior design Volvo have nailed it with the S60
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 03:52 AM   #10
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

My brother has just bought one - pre-reg on a 70 plate, delivery miles, and around £15k saving from list

It's quite a nice machine. The T5 engine is discontinued now, so he's been at the right place at the right time for a deal I think
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 03:56 AM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
My brother has just bought one - pre-reg on a 70 plate, delivery miles, and around £15k saving from list

It's quite a nice machine. The T5 engine is discontinued now, so he's been at the right place at the right time for a deal I think
Indeed, its called a B5P and has mild hybrid - but to be honest, it doesnt really change it so a good buy!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:01 AM   #12
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The range is really good at the moment, literally every car they have on sale ticks the boxes. I prefer the looks of the s60 over the v60 and as you say the used prices are a lot more appealing.
Once you have had an estate there is no going back.... said to me by my brother in law about 28 years ago (he had to have them as company cars) and it has turned out to be true! Always had an estate / SUV shape in the family since pretty much - until the M5 and look how long that lasted! Funnily enough that brother in law still drives an estate even though he is retired and has no real need for one now.....

Would agree with your comments on the range, and as more other manufacturers move to hybrids and smaller engines, their decision to go 4 pot only looks more sensible (although I still think the XC90 loses out due to that).
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:12 AM   #13
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Its annoying that Volvo is still pushing out good lease deals!
As I may have mentioned I hated the V90 after 2 years but I freely admit some of that was my expectation.
It really did put me off getting another one which is a shame as the v60 looks good and plenty of t5 offers.

How is the gearbox with a petrol? I assume its better than matched to the diesel.
Also how are the parking sensors as they were useless as well in the v90.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:44 AM   #14
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
As I may have mentioned I hated the V90 after 2 years but I freely admit some of that was my expectation.
It really did put me off getting another one which is a shame as the v60 looks good and plenty of t5 offers.

How is the gearbox with a petrol? I assume its better than matched to the diesel.
you needed the polestar optimisation which has more impact on the box than it does on the engine, I am told.

Also the V90 is too big, the V60 a much better size and so the parking sensors less of an issue (although on my older Volvos they were fine....)

Go on, you know you want to...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:47 AM   #15
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Quote:
you needed the polestar optimisation
Is this a coding exercise? Or did have to be spec'd from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:54 AM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
Is this a coding exercise? Or did have to be spec'd from the factory?
software upgrade, can be done by dealer. £850 when full price but often available for £600 ish on offer. A little more power and torque but a whole better behaved car... should be how they all come, according to the Volvo forums....

On that subject....
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201
Appreciate 1
DB118D1026.00
      09-21-2020, 05:38 AM   #17
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post

Agree with the above comments re polestar optimisation, I have no issues with the gearbox at all, I did demo a diesel v60 without it and it was a bit crap in comparison.

Not sure what you mean on the parking sensors? Again no problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 05:39 AM   #18
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Once you have had an estate there is no going back.... said to me by my brother in law about 28 years ago (he had to have them as company cars) and it has turned out to be true! Always had an estate / SUV shape in the family since pretty much - until the M5 and look how long that lasted! Funnily enough that brother in law still drives an estate even though he is retired and has no real need for one now.....

Would agree with your comments on the range, and as more other manufacturers move to hybrids and smaller engines, their decision to go 4 pot only looks more sensible (although I still think the XC90 loses out due to that).
Ha I came from the F31 so I've gone back! I wasn't willing to pay an extra 5k to have a worse looking car, I don't NEED an estate, sure it comes in useful on occasion but I can live without. Dogs banned from the car anyway!
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18772.50
      09-21-2020, 05:43 AM   #19
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Great cars. My first Volvo was a 144DL when I was in my late 20's (I'm so boring) and I was in sales and then sales management in the Volvo franchise for a number of years. They're very under valued IMO. I remember when the 850 T5R was first launched and Ricard Rydell and Jan Lammers were racing an estate in British Touring Cars!!
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18772.50
      09-21-2020, 06:52 AM   #20
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstein View Post
Great cars. My first Volvo was a 144DL when I was in my late 20's (I'm so boring) and I was in sales and then sales management in the Volvo franchise for a number of years. They're very under valued IMO. I remember when the 850 T5R was first launched and Ricard Rydell and Jan Lammers were racing an estate in British Touring Cars!!
I bought my 850 on the back of the Touring cars exploits, loved watching a car that looked like the ones you could drive hooning round a track.

Really wish BTTC had retained the need for them to look like the roadgoing ones, half the time it is hard now to see what each car is!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:54 AM   #21
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ha I came from the F31 so I've gone back! I wasn't willing to pay an extra 5k to have a worse looking car, I don't NEED an estate, sure it comes in useful on occasion but I can live without. Dogs banned from the car anyway!
Give it time.... My dog was banned from car at one time but now she goes everywhere with me, these days in the front footwell of the Mini (one reason I enjoy using it, less bothered about her climbing on the seat when I get out!)

Great looking car, only bettered in the current Volvo range by the V60
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #22
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Volvo Boxy but good...
Well that use to be the word but they look pretty slick and they make very nice interiors these day. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0