BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-24-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
Mikhalidis
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3

Remote key not detected: engine will not start

Hey everyone,

New to this forum but searched it all over for the problem and couldnt find a solution and was hoping someone could help. Bought a 2017 X3 a month ago. It only came with one key. It doesn’t have the comfort access package. Everything works fine except if I open the driver door and close it after the ignition has been turned on, I get an error that says remote control: engine will not start. When I check the vehicle status it says remote key not detected. This lasts for a few seconds and it goes away. I have never had an issue with starting the car and this error only comes on after the car is turned on and I open the driver door and close it. And this message comes on no matter where I place the key (steering column, center console, left pocket). I had the dealership replace the battery on my only key and no change. I also ordered a brand new key which arrived yesterday and I’m still getting the same error with the new key. It’s annoying but not really that big of a deal. I’m just worried it’s a sign of a much bigger problem. The car was in a fender bender before. Not sure which side. I read on some other forums this may be due to a loose connection in the center console but not sure where that is. The car is still under warranty but because I installed the bimmertech CarPlay MMI prime they are considering my warranty void but the dealer I bought the car from is still on the hook for this problem because it happened from the moment I test drove it. Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 04:28 AM   #2
Tuerkay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Hi,

you should first check the DTCs with ISTA if possible. If this happens on an daily basis, something should be logged in the CAS Module.
It could be an powersupply or LIN-bus issue of it only happens when opening/closing the door.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Let the dealer deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
Mikhalidis
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuerkay View Post
Hi,

you should first check the DTCs with ISTA if possible. If this happens on an daily basis, something should be logged in the CAS Module.
It could be an powersupply or LIN-bus issue of it only happens when opening/closing the door.
I checked no codes
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #5
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

Mine does the same thing, I assume this is just classic bmw technology curve ? Mine is get in start car wait for GF, following occurs

-Opens pass door
-Closes door
-I get the same error
-Sometimes error goes away 5-10 seconds
-Other times I put key to column goes away instantly

I think that the car is trying to “re recognize” the key again and it just takes time for it to process?
Appreciate 0