F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Time to change?
Studio RSR

09-29-2020, 07:21 AM   #1
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Time to change?

So I've got to the point in my 440i GC that I can VT in the next couple of months. The contract should run until December next year.

Although I absolutely love my car and apart from brake squeal it's been absolutely faultless, I'm wondering whether I should get out now rather than run the contract full term.

I'd happily keep the car but in November brake fluid is due but then I'm going to hit some hefty bills over the next six months or so. I've had 3,200 miles to go for front pads for over a year now and was told on the last service it will need discs as well, the third service will be due and I'll probably need tyres all round, definitely the rears.

With that coming over over the next 6-12 months, it would seem to me to be the time to get out despite loving my car?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
So I've got to the point in my 440i GC that I can VT in the next couple of months. The contract should run until December next year.

Although I absolutely love my car and apart from brake squeal it's been absolutely faultless, I'm wondering whether I should get out now rather than run the contract full term.

I'd happily keep the car but in November brake fluid is due but then I'm going to hit some hefty bills over the next six months or so. I've had 3,200 miles to go for front pads for over a year now and was told on the last service it will need discs as well, the third service will be due and I'll probably need tyres all round, definitely the rears.

With that coming over over the next 6-12 months, it would seem to me to be the time to get out despite loving my car?
I guess its balancing those costs to keep versus the options available to change and what the prices are, if you either have to have something you love a lot less to keep monthlies the same, or you have to pay a lot more to get what you want, then maybe suck up the costs (although I have no idea what all that adds up to but it must be over a grand, nearer £1500 so lots of scope for man maths to allow that to justify a higher price per month!)

Deals may be much better in a years time as currently the offers havent been marvellous - but maybe Park Lane special scheme will have something to suit.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Unless it puts you in a fiscally awkward position where a downgrade is required keep going if you like the car, life's too short and all that jazz..

Or you could use man maths to justify an M340i, seems reasonable to me .!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

I got out at a similar time. I’m not one for running post warranty in general and it’s a great time for man maths justification. Cost savings a plenty, tyres, brakes, discs, tax, service, extended warranty, roadside recovery, you could even add in wiper blades.

Put that all in and you’ll be in an M3/M4 before you know it.....
Appreciate 2
Firaxis265.50
C320342.50
      09-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I got out at a similar time. I’m not one for running post warranty in general and it’s a great time for man maths justification. Cost savings a plenty, tyres, brakes, discs, tax, service, extended warranty, roadside recovery, you could even add in wiper blades.

That might be £50 a month for 3 years - but if you got the 440i at a bargain price, and deals are now rubbish, that might put you in a 330i now....even adding the £50 a month...

Doesnt Mr TP qualify for some ridiculous Merc deals by virtue of his job or is is that playing and coaching staff only?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #6
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
?.. 440i GC ... I absolutely love my car....
in November brake fluid is due but then...
I've had 3,200 miles to go for front pads for over a year now and
was told on the last service it will need discs as well, the third service will be due and I'll probably need tyres all round, definitely the rears.
My 2p. Brake fluid has been the most reasonable cost at the dealers, so not a worry.
Pads at the front aren't silly either (you could get them done elsewhere at a fraction of the cost if you really want to).
I'm guessing this is the first set of pads, so would believe the dealer was trying it on disc wise (shouldn't need a set of disc with every set of pads - no way)
Tyres, well the age old, "it'll get you off the run flats", comes to mind, then you'll really love your car.
Conclusion- stick with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
That might be £50 a month for 3 years - but if you got the 440i at a bargain price, and deals are now rubbish, that might put you in a 330i now....even adding the £50 a month...

Doesnt Mr TP qualify for some ridiculous Merc deals by virtue of his job or is is that playing and coaching staff only?
Man maths D minus.

I prefer to think of the cost of my final year of the PCP if I carry on. All those costs I’ve listed could add up to nearly £3k, so £250 a month on top for your final year if you’re not planning on keeping it after the term is up. Or about £85 if you do it over 3 years.

Your view on the maths changes if you’re looking to justify keeping or justifying making a change.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 09-29-2020 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #8
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Man maths D minus.

I prefer to think of the cost of my final year of the PCP if I carry on. All those costs I’ve listed could add up to nearly £3k, so £250 a month on top for your final year if you’re not planning on keeping it after the term is up. Or about £85 if you do it over 3 years.

Your view on the maths changes if you’re looking to justify keeping or justifying making a change.
Thanks, as I said elsewhere I am currently focusing on A+ in financial management for obvious reasons.

The main thing is TouringPleb loves the car, and I reckon a new equivalent would be the majority of all of that £250 a month extra - for 3 more years and you cant yet get a coupe of grand coupe. In a year, sales might be down, deals up and the 4 available - plus the mk8 Golf GTi will be around for most of the year, the M135i will be relatively old hat against competitors, and so deals may be available on both.

Of course he could bail now and get in quick with a Clubman JCW at a very good price! But would he miss the 440i when he gets it...?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #9
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Quote:
?.. 440i GC ... I absolutely love my car....
in November brake fluid is due but then...
I've had 3,200 miles to go for front pads for over a year now and
was told on the last service it will need discs as well, the third service will be due and I'll probably need tyres all round, definitely the rears.
My 2p. Brake fluid has been the most reasonable cost at the dealers, so not a worry.
Pads at the front aren't silly either (you could get them done elsewhere at a fraction of the cost if you really want to).
I'm guessing this is the first set of pads, so would believe the dealer was trying it on disc wise (shouldn't need a set of disc with every set of pads - no way)
Tyres, well the age old, "it'll get you off the run flats", comes to mind, then you'll really love your car.
Conclusion- stick with it.
The dealer told me last service that the front discs were heavily lipped so would need replacing when the pads are.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #10
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I didn't even think about warranty and wipers!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I would answer but I think you might know my opinion...is this even a question?
Appreciate 4
      09-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #12
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Man maths D minus.

Thanks, as I said elsewhere I am currently focusing on A+ in financial management for obvious reasons.

The main thing is TouringPleb loves the car, and I reckon a new equivalent would be the majority of all of that £250 a month extra - for 3 more years and you cant yet get a coupe of grand coupe. In a year, sales might be down, deals up and the 4 available - plus the mk8 Golf GTi will be around for most of the year, the M135i will be relatively old hat against competitors, and so deals may be available on both.

Of course he could bail now and get in quick with a Clubman JCW at a very good price! But would he miss the 440i when he gets it...?
Regarding your comment about Merc deals, I don't think they have any corporate sponsorship regarding cars. They had a deal with Sytner but they (Sytner) pulled that when lockdown first happened. And he doesn't like the new Merc interiors.

I'm thinking with service, brakes, tyres, warranty etc I'm looking at £1,500-2,000 which is dead money I'll get no benefit from..

Unfortunately the new Golf does nothing for me. I've looked on Park Lane deals and a new 420 with no options for 8k miles is more than my 440i with some options and 20k a year! Unfortunately the price of new cars is going up faster than my wages. The M340i or M440i are way out of my price range at the moment. And could I go to a 320i after a 440i? I don't think so.

Something else to factor in is that Mr TP wants to change his X3 M40i. Although he loves how it drives, the boot is too small for the dogs. He's possibly looking at an X5 or Velar, and if I get something cheaper it will mean we can keep out car outgoings to around £1000-1200 a month.

And then I wonder if I will regret handing back the 440i when it's very possible I won't ever be able to have a six cylinder petrol car again?

Funny you should mention the Clubman JCW.. there may well be another post coming up
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #13
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
The dealer told me last service that the front discs were heavily lipped so would need replacing when the pads are.
The dealers will always say you need but when you ask them why they don't come up with a conclusive report, they will say they have lips on the disc so what ask them what the thickness of the disc is and what thickness do BMW recommend changing them at. But dealers are not used to using micrometers just their eyes.
Appreciate 1
Quantox308.50
      09-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #14
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

You could finally get that Mineral grey car you have been lusting after all these years TP.
Imagine this. Trade in the 440i in bright turquoise, replaced with a nice G20 320i in MG.
You know it makes sense...
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 2
rich100874.50
      09-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #15
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Regarding your comment about Merc deals, I don't think they have any corporate sponsorship regarding cars. They had a deal with Sytner but they (Sytner) pulled that when lockdown first happened. And he doesn't like the new Merc interiors.

I'm thinking with service, brakes, tyres, warranty etc I'm looking at £1,500-2,000 which is dead money I'll get no benefit from..

Unfortunately the new Golf does nothing for me. I've looked on Park Lane deals and a new 420 with no options for 8k miles is more than my 440i with some options and 20k a year! Unfortunately the price of new cars is going up faster than my wages. The M340i or M440i are way out of my price range at the moment. And could I go to a 320i after a 440i? I don't think so.

Something else to factor in is that Mr TP wants to change his X3 M40i. Although he loves how it drives, the boot is too small for the dogs. He's possibly looking at an X5 or Velar, and if I get something cheaper it will mean we can keep out car outgoings to around £1000-1200 a month.

And then I wonder if I will regret handing back the 440i when it's very possible I won't ever be able to have a six cylinder petrol car again?

Funny you should mention the Clubman JCW.. there may well be another post coming up
I thought the FA had some sort of deal for footballers as even relatively modest ones seem to drive very flash Mercs....

Solution - Mr TP made a mistake picking the X3 so you can do him a favour and take the X3 off him to help him out and he can get a Velar or similar and be thankful you have saved him a problem....

Personally failing that I would pay the dead money and enjoy the car you want for a bit longer as if you swap you will be paying £5k for something you dont want - and deals are bound to be better next year...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
The dealers will always say you need but when you ask them why they don't come up with a conclusive report, they will say they have lips on the disc so what ask them what the thickness of the disc is and what thickness do BMW recommend changing them at. But dealers are not used to using micrometers just their eyes.
To be fair, when the discs on the Mini needed changing at 20k miles I smelled a rat so asked for the old discs to get a second opinion. Not only did they not change their advice, they gave them to me, I showed my brother (ex service manager) and he was adamant they needed changing.

They arent all complete crooks.... just some!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #17
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Buy it out, do these few jobs and keep it for another 24-36 months. Moving it on just before it needs another round of expense. Chuck in the extended warranty and sell privately at the end. You'll be quids in versus anything new.

Unless bored and have something else that floats your boat, in which case swap now and don't worry how the costs compare vs the 440i, as long as it's affordable and you want it.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18778.00
Quantox308.50
      09-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #18
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Buy it out, do these few jobs and keep it for another 24-36 months. Moving it on just before it needs another round of expense. Chuck in the extended warranty and sell privately at the end. You'll be quids in versus anything new.

Unless bored and have something else that floats your boat, in which case swap now and don't worry how the costs compare vs the 440i, as long as it's affordable and you want it.
That is a very good idea. GFV with 80k projected will be low (less than £15k?). a £15k loan over 4 years is less than £400 a month, extended warranty for what a grand, extra work needed £1500 - less than £500 a month all in....

and yours to swap whenever you want after year 4.... but keep it to 6, avoid next set of bills, sell and pay off loan outstanding and probably have equity for next one...

MashinBenzin we will be getting banned if we keep talking sense...
Appreciate 2
Quantox308.50
      09-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #19
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

That is a very good idea. GFV with 80k projected will be low (less than £15k?). a £15k loan over 4 years is less than £400 a month, extended warranty for what a grand, extra work needed £1500 - less than £500 a month all in....

and yours to swap whenever you want after year 4.... but keep it to 6, avoid next set of bills, sell and pay off loan outstanding and probably have equity for next one...

MashinBenzin we will be getting banned if we keep talking sense...
That's how I see it. Different car and times, but I paid the GFV for my 320d at 3 years with 65k on the clock. By all common forum metrics it was not worth the GFV. Ran it to 7 years/105k for buttons. Sold privately for about £5k less than the GFV.

Somewhere around £1250 per year depreciation against the inflated initial value, plus extended warranty and some routine servicing.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #20
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
You could finally get that Mineral grey car you have been lusting after all these years TP.
Imagine this. Trade in the 440i in bright turquoise, replaced with a nice G20 320i in MG.
You know it makes sense...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #21
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

If cost/nothing you fancy is a factor then keeping the car is the cheapest option regardless of bills for brake discs etc...

We've had a 3.0si Z4C from new back in April 2007, bought it at the end of the PCP term and kept it for over 13 years, I spent 2k refreshing it this year and it's as good as new (almost). Cars will last forever if you look after them, its cost about £225 a month over the full 13.5 years (excluding fuel/insurance) and it's still the car we bought so no loss of utility. (that's buying it/maintaining it - current value)

If I compared that to the money I've spent chasing the BBD over the same period I'd feel quite ill, although I've done 400k miles over that period and the Z4 has only done 55k.
      09-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #22
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
It might be worth nipping out and checking that yourself. Just stick your finger through the alloy and over the outer edge of the disc. I'm not sure of your mileage but its usual to have two pad changes and then a disc change on the second set.

A lip is normal over about 15k however but I'd expect 50k before a disc change is needed dependent on your driving of course .

I never get BMW to do my pads or discs, go to an Independent and save a fortune. Looking at prices I reckon £500 for an Independent to fit pads and discs (Brembos) if they need doing of course.

Brake fluid I think is about £90, tyres probably £138 a corner for Kumho (rears) but loads of offers out there

So worse case scenario is £866 for consumables inc. brake fluid. BMW Insured Warranty is excellent value and you can get a quote online. Pay monthly might be £40 / £50 a month.

I say keep, only because its a lovely car, quite rare and these are uncertain times.

Last edited by JR1664; 09-29-2020 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
Quantox308.50