Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Worthless...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #4
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

I don't understand why it keeps getting compared to the GT4, I can't take my kids to school in a GT4.
Appreciate 3
cncmastr1568.50
Bimmed Out1908.50
      09-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

About the OG M2 suspension and M2C suspension: effectively, so far never a difference in suspension hardware was demonstrated between the two cars.

What could explain the difference in driving feel: the M2C is heavier (55 kg) and features a stiffened front end (CF strut brace in the engine bay) + re-calibrated software.

Engine block weight ? During the M2C launch back in 2018, BMW told journalists that the S55 engine block inside the M2C itself only weighs 2 kg more than the N55 engine block sporting the OG M2 (mentioned for example in this Dutch video [06:35-06:37]). But of course there are the peripherals too, more cooling, CF strut brace, OPF, etc. explaining the added 55 kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Slipped up and found this... interesting!
(https://carbuzz.com/cars/bmw/m2)

“The M2 Competition tilts the focus more towards race track performance so we have increased the amount of content from the M3/M4 models,” explained Dirk Häcker, BMW M’s VP of Engineering. Given that the bodyshell and front and rear inner structure was already modified to accept the M3/M4 suspension and wide rubber no further work was required here apart from stiffening the front end.
“Since the track is identical to the M3/M4 carbon-fiber engine compartment brace bolted straight in. This significantly reduces torsional flex in the engine compartment ‘box’ and keeps the front suspension geometry closer to spec under load,” he said. “We experimented with variations of the M2 spring and damper rates but found that with the improved front-end stiffness the original settings were ideal,” explained Peter Schmid, Project Manager for Driving Dynamics. “This is the first time ever in my career that this has happened, and all we needed, in the end, was some software recalibration of the control electronics.”

Well.. that should settle it. We can all go look at the photos section now, as this debate will surely end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Oh, more interesting information here...
(https://drivetribe.com/p/the-bmw-m2-...Q8i12t-CD2dViQ)

On the subject of weight balance, the M2C’s balance between the front and rear has shifted slightly to the front. The main reason is of course the engine, but this is not the complete story when it comes to the subject of handling. To explain the true story of what was changed, I sat down with the chief engineer of BMW M at Ascari to run down the list of mechanical changes to the setup of the car allowing us to analyze the sheer brilliance of its new handling characteristics.

First of all, the Germans added a series of parts to the car but didn’t touch the spring rates or the suspension struts. With regards to the suspension hardware nothing was changed. A new front strut brace (combination of a bulkhead strut & CFRP strut) from the M3/M4 allows for a much improved stiffness, a noticeable more precise turn-in and better balance at high speed. The front has a tendency of communicating its lower amount of understeer better to the driver allowing yourself to minimize it where you can. The rear bushings for the suspension mounting points keep the rear better in line with the direction of the front.

In order to ensure extremely precise wheel location, play-free ball joints are used to transmit transverse forces, similarly to the base M2. The longitudinal forces passing through the chassis are transmitted into the torque struts directly via special elastomer bearings, which simultaneously deliver the desired rolling comfort. A noticeable difference is the decreased level of roll under turn-in, one of the M2’s noticeable flaws. According to the chief engineer, the steering software was finetuned to allow for a more precise turn-in using less lock on the steering wheel and therefore producing less roll.

Sheer brilliance of the M2 Competition is encompassed by another software change. The Germans tuned the MDM and oh good lord they have done a super job, it is the tasteful cherry on the chubby cake. Based on the M3/M4 CS MDM software, the engineers have developed a set up that allows you to lean on the traction of the rears and your steering lock in an immensely smooth, safe and non-intrusive way. The more open nature of the available playing room at the rear remembered me of the times I drove a E46 M3 (My M benchmark) aggressively. It is so lovely balanced and offers so much more sideslip that it becomes a challenging and playful game between you as a driver and the MDM who will win. In the end, it is an addictive game with the M2C in Sport Plus trying to lure you in with a rewarding present you cannot refuse, while you also know it will tell you “until here and no further” when you become too greedy.

The ability to lean on this open window within its suspension set up and not on its available powerband is what I want to see in a M car. I don’t need tons of horsepower, I need sheer brilliance through my hands on the wheel and my butt in the seat, and that is exactly what this car is able to do. The level in which it puts a M smile on your face and lets you scream of joy behind the wheel is an experience I do not often have any more behind the wheel of a car. Subsequently, it also lets you completely forget the worries about its chubbiness.

I’m done now.

cncmastr1568.50
CTSean323.00
      09-30-2020, 06:56 PM   #6
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Enjoyable. Thanks for the post
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 07:15 PM   #7
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Just about the worst review ever. Terrible everything, from the music, to the editing, to well, everything. I'll be honest, I couldn't get all the way through it.
Appreciate 1
Driver87251.50
      09-30-2020, 08:50 PM   #8
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I agree. Terrible review. Not much in the way of actual driving or real comparisons. A waste of my time.

Interesting that they thought the OG M2 was the best track car though.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #9
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

I think if he didn't own the M2C and wasn't biased, it sounds like the consensus is
OG M2, best deal and bang for buck.
M2 CS, best M2, but you pay for it.
M2C, ... .

Again, the GT4 is not a comparison, no back seats, no trunk.
Appreciate 0