Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB4

10-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
Fpangalos
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

JB4

(Thanks for the suggestion to post in this section, deleted and reposted below)

So there's a few threads discussing JB4 installs, performance gains etc.. but as a total noob, I'm finding it difficult to find information on negatives from this piggy back tune.

My major concern is doing something to my car that will damage it long term. Simply put, I have to imagine the extra stress the tune puts on the engines can cause premature wear, or cause you're engine to "blow up"

Can anyone more versed in tunes than I am add a little color to educate me? From what I've gathered, I ordered a FTP charge pipe to help with the extra boost. I read that the OEM unit is plastic. What about the intake pipe? I understand the intake is already a CAI, but the intake pipe is plastic as well. Are there any other maintenance items I can do to help with the wear from extra stress?

One other question if anyone knows. If something should happen to the car, and I uninstall the JB4 before going to the dealer. Can they tell in the coding that it has had a piggyback tune?

Thanks in advance for the insight!
Attached Images

10-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpangalos View Post

So there's a few threads discussing JB4 installs, performance gains etc.. but as a total noob, I'm finding it difficult to find information on negatives from this piggy back tune.

My major concern is doing something to my car that will damage it long term. Simply put, I have to imagine the extra stress the tune puts on the engines can cause premature wear, or cause you're engine to "blow up"

Can anyone more versed in tunes than I am add a little color to educate me? From what I've gathered, I ordered a FTP charge pipe to help with the extra boost. I read that the OEM unit is plastic. What about the intake pipe? I understand the intake is already a CAI, but the intake pipe is plastic as well. Are there any other maintenance items I can do to help with the wear from extra stress?

One other question if anyone knows. If something should happen to the car, and I uninstall the JB4 before going to the dealer. Can they tell in the coding that it has had a piggyback tune?

I'd wait for the Dinantronics piggyback. Much more engineering focused company that puts reliability first and strives to maintain the linear power delivery. They also offer a matching warranty if something were to happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #3
Fpangalos
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
Quote:

I'd wait for the Dinantronics piggyback. Much more engineering focused company that puts reliability first and strives to maintain the linear power delivery. They also offer a matching warranty if something were to happen.
I hear ya, I walked into a jb4 and Bluetooth adapter pretty cheap and purchased already.
      10-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

With the B46/48 engine, they've upgraded the charge pipe compared to the N20/26 engines where it used to blow up often. If you're planning on running just a JB4 like I am, you don't need to upgrade your charge pipe (even though you can if you want to).
I don't think the existing intake is a CAI. I could be wrong. I'm no expert. Upgrading the AI helps more with turbo sounds which some people (such as I) like. There are others who have put in replacement filters from K&N and are happy with it. I personally have nothing at the moment.
And you can remove piggybacks before taking it in for service. You shouldn't face any issues unless they actually dig deep enough to check whether your car had been tuned. While piggybacks may not be fool proof (my knowledge is limited to what I've read online), they will probably have to dig deeper to find traces of one being installed compared to tunes which they can? Don't flame me if I'm wrong. But yes. They apparently can detect piggy backs as well. That being said, my car was scoped when I took it in for its oil change a few weeks back. I asked the service advisor casually if the software they use when scoping throws up a warning if it thinks the car was tuned and he said yes, it almost always did, if the car has/had a tune. When I got my car back, it came with a clean bill of health. No issues there. But then, I removed the JB4 a few hundred miles before I was to take it in, just to try clear any hidden codes, if possible. I've read about people doing that with Audis (I used to do it too) where they drive around a bit with the car completely stock, to clear out hidden codes and stuff so that the software used to scan cars at the service centre doesn't pick up on whether it was tuned or not. I did it with my BMW just to be cautious.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
Fpangalos
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
With the B46/48 engine, they've upgraded the charge pipe compared to the N20/26 engines where it used to blow up often. If you're planning on running just a JB4 like I am, you don't need to upgrade your charge pipe (even though you can if you want to).
I don't think the existing intake is a CAI. I could be wrong. I'm no expert. Upgrading the AI helps more with turbo sounds which some people (such as I) like. There are others who have put in replacement filters from K&N and are happy with it. I personally have nothing at the moment.
And you can remove piggybacks before taking it in for service. You shouldn't face any issues unless they actually dig deep enough to realise your car had been tuned. While piggybacks may not be fool proof (my knowledge is limited to what I've read online), they will probably have to dig deeper to find traces of one being installed compared to tunes which they can? Don't flame me if I'm wrong. But yes. They apparently can detect piggy backs as well. That being said, my car was scoped when I took it in for its oil change a few weeks back. I asked the service advisor casually if the software they use when scoping throws up a warning if it thinks the car was tuned and he said yes, it almost always did, if the car has/had a tune. When I got my car back, it came with a clean bill of health. No issues there. But then, I removed the JB4 a few hundred miles before I was to take it in, just to try clear any hidden codes, if possible. I've read about people doing that with Audis (I used to do it too) where they drive around a bit with the car completely stock, to clear out hidden codes and stuff so that the software used to scan cars at the service centre doesn't pick up on whether it was tuned or not. I did it with my BMW just to be cautious.
Exactly the info I was looking for!! Thank you for the insight! I already ordered the charge pipe, so.. 🤷🏻*♂️ might as well install.

I just got my JB4 all hooked up. Think I'm on the right firmware and all but I noticed It shows me listed as an F series? I assume that's because it's not updated to G series yet? As I saw my vin was correct.

I shot you a pm but noticed I couldn't add pics there. Would you mind sharing your user setting so I can make sure mine are on the right defaults? Thanks for all your help!
Attached Images

10-02-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly the info I was looking for!! Thank you for the insight! I already ordered the charge pipe, so.. 🤷🏻*♂️ might as well install.

I just got my JB4 all hooked up. Think I'm on the right firmware and all but I noticed It shows me listed as an F series? I assume that's because it's not updated to G series yet? As I saw my vin was correct.

I shot you a pm but noticed I couldn't add pics there. Would you mind sharing your user setting so I can make sure mine are on the right defaults? Thanks for all your help!
Heya

My default is the same as yours. That's only for a custom map 6 where you have to change it. I tried some but I'm back on map 3 now since that feels the strongest to me. If I find some settings I like, I'll post for you to try out.

And yes. It shows up as F chassis. Don't worry about it.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 10:03 PM   #7
SoFlo M340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:

Heya

My default is the same as yours. That's only for a custom map 6 where you have to change it. I tried some but I'm back on map 3 now since that feels the strongest to me. If I find some settings I like, I'll post for you to try out.

And yes. It shows up as F chassis. Don't worry about it.
Agree with your map 3 comment. That's what I run on. Feels pretty good overall for what it is. Have you tried map 4 or 5?

'20 Portimao Blue M340i – Current
'17 Dark Graphite 530i – Retired
'14 Alpine White 328i – Retired
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 11:40 PM   #8
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlo M340i View Post
Agree with your map 3 comment. That's what I run on. Feels pretty good overall for what it is. Have you tried map 4 or 5?
I tried map 4 once a while back but the car didn’t like it. It felt like the engine was cutting power for some reason. Lots of throttle closures that I could actually feel, which made the car jerky. Like it was going to stall. Never tried it after.
Weirdly enough, I sent logs to Ando after that happened and he said that when the car spluttered, the JB4 didn’t actually come into play and it was running on the stock boost map (since it only comes on once the engine oil temps rise above a certain level). So it probably was or wasn’t the map 4 that caused it but something else? I’ve been thinking of trying map 4 or 5 again but I keep forgetting, especially since I’m pleased with map 3. I’ll probably try it out soon hopefully to see if things are fine.

Which firmware version are you on? A couple of firmware versions ago, I actually felt map 2 was better than 3. But post v16, I think map 3 is better. Someone on N54tech gave me some custom map 6 boost numbers to try and while the car drove fine with it, it didn’t have the punch map 3 has. Which is why I’m back to running map 3 again.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0