BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum B&W audio adjustments of what most people like: How to adjust your sound system.

10-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

B&W audio adjustments of what most people like: How to adjust your sound system.

B&W audio adjustments of what most people like:

Set the treble and bass sliders to neutral. Then go into the eq and adjust the audio with just the multi band eq. Use a high bit audio track you really know that has high hats and kick drum with lots of the entire frequency. A movie score, good jazz or even country works well. Dont use thrasher rock, pop, or any XM radio. Too much compression. The car should be turned off, windows up and sunshade closed. Volume needs to be at 50%.

Start your multi-band eq adjustment with a "smiley face" across the eq without the mids being cut. When you get close to the tone you like. Use the macro bass and treble sliders to accentuate the eq settings.
At this point preview the surround settings/room sizes. (Concert, Studio, Theater, etc..)

Now if you do this correct, the bass should still be warm at a volume of 25% but not too thumpy at a volume of 75%.

I have a degree in acoustic and audio engineering. Trust me, the B&W will blow you away providing it is calibrated. This is the down fall of these advanced audio systems as they offer the customer too much control in messing up the frequency response. When visiting my dealer, the manager asks me to calibrate every B&W car in the showroom if I have the time. Takes me 30 seconds per car. I did this for them a few years ago and they were shocked how good the system sounds but there is no protocol in setting them up and the manual sucks. The average customer is lost and might take them months before they even start tinkering with the tone. There is so much other tech in the G07/G05.
Every B&W system should be somewhat tuned before the customer takes delivery but they do not. In predelivery they should at least ask if they want the B&W system semi-adjusted. It would be a nice touch.

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction to adjusting your B&W audio system.

Updated: This is a easy to follow guide you can take a screen shot and take with you for future reference.

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-19-2023 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 25
      10-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I believe they do not tune and it leave it flat because everyone has different preference in settings.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I believe they do not tune and it leave it flat because everyone has different preference in settings.
Yup and the problem is a true "Flat sounding /accurate" sound system sounds horrible to the average ears. I mix on a flat set of monitors like NS10's but show case the final product with the far-field power house monitors to the client. The average audio consumer wants a warm colorful sound system and many just assume their upgraded audio system should come ready for their ears.. There is just so much new tech in these cars that the audio system is the last thing I bet they think of for months.

Like the person that believes their Steinway should always stay in tune without any adjustments.

Last edited by MystroX5; 10-04-2020 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7265.50
Al Pinã1839.50
      10-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Good stuff, man. I'm a pseudo-audiophile, will be going with the B&W in my upcoming X7. I do use the techniques that you mention here, until it "sounds good" to me. But without some sort of auto-EQ, I always feel like I'm missing out on some sort of tweak in a particular band combination that would make it even better, but that I'm not aware of
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Good stuff, man. I'm a pseudo-audiophile, will be going with the B&W in my upcoming X7. I do use the techniques that you mention here, until it "sounds good" to me. But without some sort of auto-EQ, I always feel like I'm missing out on some sort of tweak in a particular band combination that would make it even better, but that I'm not aware of
If your a audiophile, you tend to expose your ears to better audio systems and over time will be in a better position to naturally hear what is wrong with the eq.
Here is where it gets tricky. The older you get and/or the lifestyle you have exposed your ears to, you get certain frequencies you dont hear as well as a fresh set of ears. Its a fact of life but without regular hearing test, its a sliding scale as to where your ears are at. Dont sweat the small stuff with getting too hyper critical of eq calibration. This is for your enjoyment. Even with being very carful of my ears and regular hearing test, I have learned to compensate for my frequency losses. Its like adjusting your eyes to a new eyeglass RX. This is when you listen to enough clients description over the years of what they want their final mix to sound like. Accurate is never one of them. I get "It needs to be more punchy" to "It has to hit like a hammer but soar high". I have to now interpret this on a parametric eq.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
If your a audiophile, you tend to expose your ears to better audio systems and over time will be in a better position to naturally hear what is wrong with the eq.
Here is where it gets tricky. The older you get and/or the lifestyle you have exposed your ears to, you get certain frequencies you dont hear as well as a fresh set of ears. Its a fact of life but without regular hearing test, its a sliding scale as to where your ears are at. Dont sweat the small stuff with getting too hyper critical of eq calibration. This is for your enjoyment. Even with being very carful of my ears and regular hearing test, I have learned to compensate for my frequency losses. Its like adjusting your eyes to a new eyeglass RX. This is when you listen to enough clients description over the years of what they want their final mix to sound like. Accurate is never one of them. I get "It needs to be more punchy" to "It has to hit like a hammer but soar high". I have to now interpret this on a parametric eq.
Justin Bieber: "Make me sound good"

Sound Engineer: ??????????
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Justin Bieber: "Make me sound good"

Sound Engineer: ??????????
My standard statement is always.... "We will fix it in the mix".
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 05:09 AM   #8
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
This is good stuff and you don't need to even be a semi-audiophile to hear the difference after performing such a basic calibration. In fact, for those of us who did not "splurge" on the B&W system, this basic technique will help the HK system sound better as well - as I did it to mine right after I took delivery of my X7.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

My buddy bloozemanAZ is the audio guy and he'd probably agree with MystroX5
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #10
AVZ12345
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:

Set the treble and bass sliders to neutral. Then go into the eq and adjust the audio with just the multi band eq. Use a high bit audio track you really know that has high hats and kick drum with lots of the entire frequency. A movie score, good jazz or even country works well. Dont use thrasher rock, pop, or any XM radio. Too much compression. The car should be turned off, windows up and sunshade closed. Volume needs to be at 50%.

Start your multi-band eq adjustment with a "smiley face" across the eq without the mids being cut. When you get close to the tone you like. Use the macro bass and treble sliders to accentuate the eq settings.
At this point preview the surround settings/room sizes. (Concert, Studio, Theater, etc..)

Now if you do this correct, the bass should still be warm at a volume of 25% but not too thumpy at a volume of 75%.

I have a degree in acoustic and audio engineering. Trust me, the B&W will blow you away providing it is calibrated. This is the down fall of these advanced audio systems as they offer the customer too much control in messing up the frequency response. When visiting my dealer, the manager asks me to calibrate every B&W car in the showroom if I have the time. Takes me 30 seconds per car. I did this for them a few years ago and they were shocked how good the system sounds but there is no protocol in setting them up and the manual sucks. The average customer is lost and might take them months before they even start tinkering with the tone. There is so much other tech in the G07/G05.
Every B&W system should be somewhat tuned before the customer takes delivery but they do not. In predelivery they should at least ask if they want the B&W system semi-adjusted. It would be a nice touch.

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction to adjusting your B&W audio system.
Thanks! This is very helpful as I’ve been struggling with setting mine up a bit. A few questions though: What song(s) have you used in the past and what audio source did you use - just a USB drive? Also, do you have a picture of one of the setups you did?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #11
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
My buddy bloozemanAZ is the audio guy and he'd probably agree with MystroX5
Absolutely as it is spot on. As Resjudicata well knows I've been trying to help others on the 8-series forum whom complain of the lack of bass with the B&W sound system. MystroX5 given his background can also attest to the fact that a setting for a X7 is not going to work in a 8-series as the spatial cabin volume is completely different.

Over the years I've had several variants of the B&W 800 series in my home audio setup which is the basis for what goes into the BMW solutions. The 10" drivers based on the 800s are targeted for tight accurate bass so those looking for a LFE "thump" experience are not going to find it.

Last edited by bloozemanAZ; 10-05-2020 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 09:30 PM   #12
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVZ12345 View Post
Thanks! This is very helpful as I’ve been struggling with setting mine up a bit. A few questions though: What song(s) have you used in the past and what audio source did you use - just a USB drive? Also, do you have a picture of one of the setups you did?
As MystroX5 pointed out in his original post a movie score, jazz, etc. will work well. I'd flip that a little as I've used various genres including rock. However, as he pointed out never SiriusXM as the compression rate is too high. The key is the source and everything I've used to dial-in the sound of the B&W in my 8-series has been done from audio masters in FLAC format on a SSD plugged into the USBC port in the console.

One of my reference albums albums you can not go wrong with is Steely Dan's Aja. I used it in FLAC format (sourced from the Japanese master SACD release) on a thumb drive for my initial 8-series H&K vs B&W audio shootout. Needless to say with even the stock settings the B&W outshined the H&K. Dial-in the EQ and it is absolutely glorious.
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3683.50
      10-06-2020, 09:55 PM   #13
Farooqshaik
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i Pure Excellence '19

Thank You so much MystroX5. After tuning my car sounds so much better now
Appreciate 2
Wild Blue3683.50
MystroX56289.50
      11-24-2020, 11:37 PM   #14
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:

Can you please provide pictures of the process or the smiley face you mentioned?
Id love to set up my b&w but do not know whats a smiley face and what it means by without the mids being cut.

Thank you.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 11:00 AM   #15
Wanderer73
Major
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

I made some additional changes a couple of months ago per MystroX5 recommendations, and it tightened up the overall output of the B&W system. So many people have opted not to option the B&W in the X7 because of the stock settings at the dealership. It's a shame.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #16
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Can you please provide pictures of the process or the smiley face you mentioned?
Id love to set up my b&w but do not know whats a smiley face and what it means by without the mids being cut.

Thank you.
I cant take a pic right now. The mid level shouldn't be pulled down any lower than 0db (the slider sits in the very middle of the adjustment range.) That mid level positions makes up the lowest part of the smiley face. Gradually work each fader up consecutively making a "smiley face" with the adjustment sliders.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #17
wtlaw
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C,93 911RSA,'08 F430

Quote:
I cant take a pic right now. The mid level shouldn't be pulled down any lower than 0db (the slider sits in the very middle of the adjustment range.) That mid level positions makes up the lowest part of the smiley face. Gradually work each fader up consecutively making a "smiley face" with the adjustment sliders.
Thank you !!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 02:17 AM   #18
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:

Appreciate 1
akap00746.00
      11-26-2020, 04:29 PM   #19
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

The Disco-Smile never fails!
      12-09-2020, 01:41 AM   #20
mklam
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post

Thank you.
Is it something like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 07:55 AM   #21
samX7
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Hey is it possible for you to send a picture of how you have it set up?
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3683.50
      01-19-2023, 09:30 AM   #22
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

As per popular request:
Here is the B&W Diamond system quick calibration guide.

Please note all final tone adjustments to the style of music you enjoy needs to be done with step 3 “Global Tone settings”. This will give you your quick eq adjustment to globally compensate highs and lows for the entire system without changing the system master eq calibration. This is very useful for quick on the fly tone adjustments for the style of music you are listening to like overly heavy low end thumpy music, etc….

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-19-2023 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 8