BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-07-2020, 01:35 AM   #1
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Setting home screen

Hi folks, my car had a dealer software update the other day to get the connecteddrive phone app working which was successful other than my home screen in the car has changed. I’ve searched the forum and on line but I can’t find any info on how to change the screen to show what I want to see when I press the home button.

The manual is useless, gave up looking at that days after delivery. Any instructions would be greatfully received
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 02:22 AM   #2
Helius
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 30d M-Sport

I hope this might help.

Appreciate 1
Addbuyer833.50
      10-07-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

That is just what i was looking for but failed to locate, thanks so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

is there any way to have the sport display as one of your pages? I don't mean in split screen mode. I want the full sport display to take up the entirety of the screen (like how you can get a full map view if you push the map button or widget).

I haven't found a way to do that as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:45 PM   #5
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
is there any way to have the sport display as one of your pages? I don't mean in split screen mode. I want the full sport display to take up the entirety of the screen (like how you can get a full map view if you push the map button or widget).

I haven't found a way to do that as of yet.
Minimum number of tiles is 2, so no, but ... you can probably assign one of the 8 memory buttons to the sport display of your choice.
      10-07-2020, 08:54 PM   #6
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Minimum number of tiles is 2, so no, but ... you can probably assign one of the 8 memory buttons to the sport display of your choice.

yeah thank you for confirming that. I couldn't be happier about the latest idrive iteration; I just wish they'd have given us that customizability to have 1 full screen 'tile' if we wanted. I figured I may as well ask in case someone found a way to do it, i guess not.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:16 AM   #7
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
you can probably assign one of the 8 memory buttons to the sport display of your choice.
Ive heard about these 8 memory buttons but like setting the home screen (which I can now do thanks ) I have not a scooby-doo what they can store or how to set them.

I know it’s laziness on my part but that laziness was caused by the p155 poor owners manual which I just gave up on. Never have I come across one so bad, it just doesn’t explain what the features are / do / how to set them There are many features that could be set up I’m sure but I’ve never had them so do I need them? It’s just an over tech motor me thinks

Tell me if I’m right, are the features easy for others because they have evolved over time in previous BM’s and so they are easy to understand being an upgrade and BMW wrote the manual for previous owners
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:22 AM   #8
Helius
No_Country
Rep

It΄s me again, bringing you another video

Appreciate 3
GlennC321.00
Addbuyer833.50
LexxM31698.50
      10-08-2020, 06:16 AM   #9
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
It΄s me again, bringing you another video

Why thank you yet again mate

Is it possible to set you up on a favourite button
Appreciate 1
Helius16.50
      10-09-2020, 03:09 AM   #10
Helius
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
Why thank you yet again mate

Is it possible to set you up on a favourite button
No problem at all, just happy I can help.

How to reset all the buttons was something new for me aswell.
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer833.50
      10-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #11
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Great help thank you Sir.

Unfortunately, Sports Display cant be set to one of the favourite buttons
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #12
Carneylad
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d, Tesla Model 3

If you're struggling with the manual, there is a BMW app which will tailor the manual for your specific car. Just enter your vin and it will update. It will also update each time you get a software update.

If you have an iPhone, you can download it here: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/bmw-dr...de/id714042749
If not, search for the BMW drivers guide wherever you get your apps from.
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer833.50
      10-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Check out this video playlist on iDrive 7. Well explained.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YTiTHm5VKkzn3q
      10-11-2020, 06:41 PM   #14
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
Quote:

Great help thank you Sir.

Unfortunately, Sports Display cant be set to one of the favourite buttons
Luckily, you're incorrect — it is possible to assign a favourite button to sport displays. The trick for non-Germans (and obviously completely natural, no trick required, for Germans) is to press and hold the favourite button to be saved on Driving Information screen while highlighting the Sport Display option in that screen. In other words, press-hold the favourite button to save to button on the screen ABOVE the actual Sport Display screen.

I suppose the way German UX designers reasoned it is that the favourite button replaces your own manual selection, so has to be assigned where Sport Displays are to be selected, not where Sport Displays are already being shown. This kind of user interface — rationalizable and peculiarly logical, yet quite obtuse and unnatural for most other humans — has been the earmark of BMW design for decades. It's somewhere between endearing and infuriating.
      10-11-2020, 07:07 PM   #15
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Luckily, you're incorrect — it is possible to assign a favourite button to sport displays. The trick for non-Germans (and obviously completely natural, no trick required, for Germans) is to press and hold the favourite button to be saved on Driving Information screen while highlighting the Sport Display option in that screen. In other words, press-hold the favourite button to save to button on the screen ABOVE the actual Sport Display screen.

I suppose the way German UX designers reasoned it is that the favourite button replaces your own manual selection, so has to be assigned where Sport Displays are to be selected, not where Sport Displays are already being shown. This kind of user interface — rationalizable and peculiarly logical, yet quite obtuse and unnatural for most other humans — has been the earmark of BMW design for decades. It's somewhere between endearing and infuriating.
or you can do what all the kids on Tiktok are doing: say 'hey BMW I'm bored' and it'll switch to sport mode/give you the sport display
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      10-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #16
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Quote:

or you can do what all the kids on Tiktok are doing: say 'hey BMW I'm bored' and it'll switch to sport mode/give you the sport display
Obviously.
      10-12-2020, 05:07 AM   #17
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carneylad View Post
If you're struggling with the manual, there is a BMW app which will tailor the manual for your specific car. Just enter your vin and it will update. It will also update each time you get a software update.

If you have an iPhone, you can download it here: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/bmw-dr...de/id714042749
If not, search for the BMW drivers guide wherever you get your apps from.
I have that already thanks but it p155ed me off with the constant term "depending on the equipment fitted"? SO its not vehicle specific then?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 05:09 AM   #18
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I will try that thank you
Appreciate 0