E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > New SHOCK option for XI owners!!!

10-08-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

New SHOCK option for XI owners!!!

So my friend who owns a G35X sedan (AWD) version has the same dilemma as us e9x'ers with AWD except he's in a much worse situation. He loves his car lowered, but there are NO suspension options for his car. No shocks/struts nor ANY coilovers for his car.

So he posted up a link to a place in Ohio (recommended by Koni USA) for rebuilding shocks/custom work. They do work on race cars as well so they know what they are doing.

Basically, they will take any blown (or not) shock housing you provide them and build you a custom shock. So for example, you want Koni Yellows.

You send them your OEM BMW XI shock, they rebuild it with koni components internally but the housing still remains your OEM housing. So he bought a set of blown used shocks from a G35x sedan, sent them to

TRUchoice KONI racing in Ohio

http://www.truechoicekoniracingservices.com/menu.html

After about a week they sent him back a set of rebuilt shocks w/ koni internals etc, they are now even adjustable!!!!

Here are some pics

Keep in mind the housing is OEM, even though the stickers say "Koni".

The only negative is the price, he stated they charged $525 PER SHOCK!!!

I am really thinking about going this route!!! The only thing I need to verify is that the rear suspension on the XI is the same as the front (and I am almost 95% certain it is!!)

A while back Spool and I installed my springs and compared his 335i shocks/struts to mine and the rears looked identical, however the front struts from teh 335i would NOT fit in behind the hub in the housing. The 335i was thicker and also longer and would fall into where the cv joint met the wheels hub.

I am hoping to either buy an extra set of struts shocks (220 I believe from tischer new ) or to buy a used set on the boards...

The only down side is paying 440 for 2 new struts than another 1050 for them to rebuild your OEM shocks....

Total comes to 1490. Cheaper than KWv3's but more than H&R Coilovers. Only good thing is they are adjustable...

Now only need to worry about the rear...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

so $1490 for 2 front struts? i'll pass
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep

^^you can save $440 if you send them your existing struts so it'll be $1050 for 2 front struts, except you cant drive your car for a week...

Maybe we can get a group buy if we get like 5-10 guys and they may drop the price a couple hundred??
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 12:32 AM   #4
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

i think i rather spend the same amount of money and have Coilovers AND still have an extra set of OEM struts/springs to use when i sell/trade the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Good option, but you still have to get the rears done. Which would be another $1050. Even if you bought i rears it would still be too close to KW pricing. Save the hassle and buy the KW's if your thinking of this.
      10-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Good option, but you still have to get the rears done. Which would be another $1050. Even if you bought i rears it would still be too close to KW pricing. Save the hassle and buy the KW's if your thinking of this.
I believe the rears are identical to whats on a regular RWD 335i, therefore you only need to buy Koni Yellow's rears. They will not need to be modified.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Dont H&R coilovers cost around $1100? If so, I dont see the point.

Great find though
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

most companies do R&D and test their cars on the track...this way they calibrate the struts and springs to the weight of the car....
Although this place maybe top notch they would be "guessing" on what compression is ideal for the weight ride height of the car....
      10-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #9
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyD4Me View Post
most companies do R&D and test their cars on the track...this way they calibrate the struts and springs to the weight of the car....
Although this place maybe top notch they would be "guessing" on what compression is ideal for the weight ride height of the car....
I dont know the details, but I imagine they would take internals from Koni Strut on a 335i and get them to fit inside the housing of a 335xi OEM strut....

Is there much difference in the two? I believe the only difference is the extra 200-300 lbs from the AWD system (and cornering/handling characteristics) you get w/ AWD, otherwise most everything else would be the same.

Take it a step further, KW V3 uses the same coilovers for the e92 and e90. How can you be certain these systems were both tested?

Another point, the HR coilovers were originally designed/tested to work on a 328xi NOT a 335xi. Only b/c they actually FIT the car, did HR approve the coilovers.

If you guys actually want to believe that these companies thoroughly test these systems and take these components to the track, your greatly mistaken...
Appreciate 0