BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

10-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #1
Hyper_545i
Private
Rep
Drives: 545i

Battery Replacement

Hello All:

Quick question for you guys/gals. Has anyone changed their battery in their
E60? I have an 04 545i and I think the battery is going? I have charged it overnight, drove the car and still had the battery die. I think it may be time. Has anyone installed an aftermarket battery? Is it ok? I was thinking of an Interstate Battery. The local tire shop I deal with sells them and says he has one for my E60. I asked about the vent tube and he says it has one. The price is half of what the stealrship wants. Should I do it?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
Hyper_545i
Private
Rep

Just got the new battery. Interstate Battery PART# MTP-H9. OEM Fit and cheaper than the dealer. Just thought I would share.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
cacioa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 525

Battery Replacement

Can you explain the steps necessary to change the battery. Dealer wants 320+ Labor. Were there any error messages on I Drive, or radio security codes...?
Any info would be appreciated. --Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
Hyper_545i
Private
Rep

I had a local tire shop install it for me. It took 15 minutes at most. No issues at all. They actually left the car running, disconnected the old battery and hooked up the new one while the car was running. Nothing need to be re-programmed. No Active Steering Errors, kept my seat and radio settings etc. THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDED PRACTICE. You need to be very careful as one spark during this process could cause a short in your electrical system. I found about this after the fact. But no harm was done, so I was happy. The dealerships charge way too much for the install. I was quoted $116 dollars just to install the battery. I bought the battery and had it installed for under $200 dollars. OEM Fit and quality. Be sure they re-connect the vent tube for the battery once installed.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
thread killer
Banned
Rep
Drives: faster then your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacioa View Post
Can you explain the steps necessary to change the battery. Dealer wants 320+ Labor. Were there any error messages on I Drive, or radio security codes...?
Any info would be appreciated. --Thanks

you have to replace the battery, register it with the GT-1 and make sure it accepts the battery correctly in the modules. if not it will not charge it correctly. there's a reason you pay that much @ the dealer for this.

and to compare an AGM battery from the dealer to an interstate battery is retarded. they ARE NOT the same battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_545i View Post
I had a local tire shop install it for me. It took 15 minutes at most. No issues at all. They actually left the car running, disconnected the old battery and hooked up the new one while the car was running. Nothing need to be re-programmed. No Active Steering Errors, kept my seat and radio settings etc. THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDED PRACTICE. You need to be very careful as one spark during this process could cause a short in your electrical system. I found about this after the fact. But no harm was done, so I was happy. The dealerships charge way too much for the install. I was quoted $116 dollars just to install the battery. I bought the battery and had it installed for under $200 dollars. OEM Fit and quality. Be sure they re-connect the vent tube for the battery once installed.
you're very lucky humburto's tire shop and lube didnt fry any modules doing such a stupid repair as that. the car should NEVER be allowed to run w/o the battery. its not a freakin chevy for christ's sake.

seat and radio wouldnt have been lost anyways. you still need to register the battery with the car, or you will continue to have battery issues. you might also have a parasidic drain killing the battery.

pay a little now, or pay a lot later. your choice.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
Hyper_545i
Private
Rep

I have had no issues with the battery or charging as you called it. And if you think BMW makes their batteries, your sadly mistaken. The battery I used is OEM spec. and was actually recommended to me by an SA at my local BMW Dealership. I called 3 dealerships inquiring about the battery replacement. Of the 3, only one stated there was some sort of programming needed. The other two said it was not necessary. Who am I to believe? Also, the fact that it says interstate rather than BMW means nothing. Lots of folks use aftermarket batteries and have not had any issues. No errors or draining. And the car is not a daily driver, so it spends a lot of time in the garage. No problems starting or charging.

I do agree with your statement about the car running while the battery being replaced was stupid. If you read my original post, you would see that I did not know this was happening until after the fact. I DO NOT CONDONE THIS ACTION AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The place that replaced my battery is not Humburto's Tire Shop and Lube. Not quite sure what that means. Unless it was your failed attempt to be funny or worse, a racist. But I will leave that alone.

I can see you have a passion for BMW. As do most of us. But you really need to tone down your post a bit. You seem very angry. It's good to see you living up to your name thread killer. Becuase you certainly killed this thread! Thank you.

To everyone else, all I was trying to do was post my experience and maybe help with a battery part number, as it took me forever to get this info. on my own. That is the point of a Forum with enthusiasts is to help one another out. If any of my information is incorrect or milseading, I do apologize. I was just posting my experience.

Happy Holidays to All!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
thread killer
Banned
Rep

people get so butt hurt on this forum
i re-read my post and if you got your panties in a wad over that, which isnt even aggressivly stated than ill i can say is "WOW".
im just telling you the truth here slick.

i know batteries arnt made by BMW. currently they are made by exide. they used to be douglas.

i was telling you about the AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries (black) or wet conventional batteries (white)that go in E60's depending on model and year. obviously you dont understand.

EVERY E60 has to get the battery registered when replacing to do a proper repair. it MAY need programming depending on what the status of the vehicle is. you CAN upgrade it to an AGM battery which is a better battery.

you believe me. thats who.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2008, 01:15 AM   #8
powers493
Australia
Rep
Drives: Subaru Liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thread killer View Post
people get so butt hurt on this forum
i re-read my post and if you got your panties in a wad over that, which isnt even aggressivly stated than ill i can say is "WOW".
im just telling you the truth here slick.
Thread_killer - I love you mate - someone that knows what they are on about.

I wouldnt tell too many people about the local workshop that had your car running while they did that. They many not have a license for much longer. That is one of the dodgiest things i have ever heard esp on a late model BMW. Saving a couple of dollars on a battery and labour could have wiped out half of your CAN system. Then it would have been cheaper to buy a new car

As thread-killer said the 'car' needs to know that a battery has been changed particularly if it is an AGM battery. These cars are generally not plug and play and even if it appears that eveything is working you really dont know if it is operating as efficiently as it once was. btw be careful what charger you wack on your car aswell esp if its from supercheapauto
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
thread killer
Banned
Rep

have you ever heard the meaning:

pay a little now, or pay a LOT later?
see me now, or see me later?
i love people like this, i see them on a weekly basis:
seeing people scoff at a price that is reasonable, but since they dont understand why i charge that price or think im ripping them off go to find somone who is cheaper. they screw something up then i get to fix their screw up AND the original repair.

keep changing those batteries like this everyone, i enjoy the money
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 05:39 AM   #10
dclark259
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 545i (E60)

Recently had to replace my battery

I recently had to replace my battery after being out of town for an extended period of time. I wound up taking it back to the dealership who replaced the battery and then had to reset all of the systems for $245 labor. Obviously this was the example of what not to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
Hyper_545i
Private
Rep

Thank you sir! May I have another!

Get over it already! Now who's getting their panties in a wad! Certainly not me. All I did was post my experience. I came here with a legitimate question. You replied to the thread nearly two and a half months later. Monday morning quarterback? Your post may have actually meant something to me and other forum members if it wasn't filled with sarcasm and cynicism. Sorry if you feel I took money out of your pocket. I guess it's a tough way to make a living isn't it? And what do you mean you love seeing people like this? Do you know me? Your personal attacks only validate my claims of your character. I am assuming your employeed by BMW? Are you one of those ever so cheerful SA's that we see every time we come in for service that are pissed off at the world? Do you work off of a commission? You may actually know what your talking about, and your post may have actually mattered to me, to bad it was clouded with your demeaning personality. Must come with your BMW Training? Anyway, stay angry if you want cupcake. I am moving on. I think you should to.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
thread killer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_545i View Post
Thank you sir! May I have another!

Get over it already! Now who's getting their panties in a wad! Certainly not me. All I did was post my experience. I came here with a legitimate question. You replied to the thread nearly two and a half months later. Monday morning quarterback? Your post may have actually meant something to me and other forum members if it wasn't filled with sarcasm and cynicism. Sorry if you feel I took money out of your pocket. I guess it's a tough way to make a living isn't it? And what do you mean you love seeing people like this? Do you know me? Your personal attacks only validate my claims of your character. I am assuming your employeed by BMW? Are you one of those ever so cheerful SA's that we see every time we come in for service that are pissed off at the world? Do you work off of a commission? You may actually know what your talking about, and your post may have actually mattered to me, to bad it was clouded with your demeaning personality. Must come with your BMW Training? Anyway, stay angry if you want cupcake. I am moving on. I think you should to.

two months? actually It is 44 days.

Or 1 month, 14 days excluding the post date.
if you wanna call me names cause you have tears on your keyboard get your exaggerated dates right :finger:

monday morning quarterback? more like hero slick. i do what i say and can back it up. im not an internet troll who doesnt know what im talking about. im not loosing any sleep not working on your car, trust me. there are plenty of 4wheeled fish in the sea.

im sorry if you feel my hurtfull messages get to your care-bear heart strings you should learn not to take everything personal.... your probably one of those types that freak out when the deli slices your lunch meat the wrong thickness, huh? :finger:

i love seeing people try to skimp on expensive cars to save a buck, then screw it up and i get to fix it, thats all.

i wouldnt try having some guy with a meat cleaver do open heart surgery to me cause it could save a buck, now why would you do that to your car?
BTW, just a hint, your battery repair still isnt completed..... then again your car has already gone WTF with your IBS/BSD data from a new battery

as for me?
i work for myself. i am my own business.
i can write service if you would like. its not very challenging though. its not hard. ill tell you, it goes like this:
greet customer.
kiss his ass.
write up car.
pat customer on the butt and get him out off the drive to work.
look at car.
give estimate to customer.
kiss his ass, make him feel important.
work on car.
greet customer.
kiss his ass again.
(my favorite part) hear him say "Thanks" while he pays.
repeat every visit.

how hard is that? not very. Cars on the other hand dont like to talk much, and its hard to hold a conversation with a brake rotor.
personal and work HAVE to be light switches. you cant mix them, thus im a very motivated and enthusiastic person.

and of course i work off of commision. flat rate is the only way true proffesional technicians work..... i mean there are exceptions to the rule yes, but if your not good, your not flatrate.... and when your really good, you make hand over fist.

consider me really good and make hand over fist

see ya on your next MOST/iDrive/ARS/DME/EGS/AHL visit when the tire shop cant fix it :finger:
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 11:22 PM   #13
BMW BRAD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M, F31 328d M

I can tell you from my experience, when you put a new battery in an e60, It Does have to be registered - unfortunately from the stealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
kxmills
Rep
Drives: 2005 545i Sport. SMG, HUD

I that it was deka. They make a battery that is identical in appearance and specs to BMWs it even has the connector for the vent tube in the same location. except it is black.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
thread killer
Banned
Rep

thats the AGM battery. the white one is a normal wet cell battery.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #16
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

like was already mentioned...its important that the dealership register a battery replacement and clear out all energy history when a battery replacement is performed. just because you dont have any issues right now doesnt mean you wont in the future caused by not registering a battery and having the car either overcharge or undercharge due to it...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #17
Hyper_545i
Private
Rep

I am getting my battery registered from the Dealership the next time my car goes in for service which should be soon. Thank you all, especially ThreadKiller. I def. over reacted to his comments and for that I apologize.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #18
thread killer
Banned
Rep

no problem and hurt feelings mang. just dont want your car to spazz out on you
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #19
goodman
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 545i Sport

Problem With Hold-Down Clamp With New Battery

I went to Autozone and bought a Duralast Gold 95R, 850 CCA 110 AH, vent opening on the end, same dimensions as OEM. It hooked up fine and I got rid of active steering message. My problem is that I can't get the hold-down clamp to work. On the OEM battery, it seemed to clamp on to something at the bottom of the battery, but I don't know what. I can't get it to hold down the new battery. I have an appointment to register the battery at the dealer next week, but I don't want to wait until then to get the battery clamped down.

Last edited by goodman; 04-17-2009 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #20
thread killer
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman View Post
I went to Autozone and bought a Duralast Gold 95R, 850 CCA 110 AH, vent opening on the end, same dimensions as OEM. It hooked up fine and I got rid of automatic steering message. My problem is that I can't get the hold-down clamp to work. On the OEM battery, it seemed to clamp on to something at the bottom of the battery, but I don't know what. I can't get it to hold down the new battery. I have an appointment to register the battery at the dealer next week, but I don't want to wait until then to get the battery clamped down.
i thought we went down this road already...lol

WRONG battery for the designed purpose!

the factory battery has a "foot" that the clamp holds down.
the vatozone one im sure, does not.
meh
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #21
goodman
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 545i Sport

It's the right battery. Even the lip on the bottom is the same as OEM. I just needed to look at it again. The clamp fits fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #22
rjaxonbmw530xi
Registered
Rep
Drives: '06 BMW 530xi 6 speed

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman View Post
I went to Autozone and bought a Duralast Gold 95R, 850 CCA 110 AH, vent opening on the end, same dimensions as OEM. It hooked up fine and I got rid of active steering message. My problem is that I can't get the hold-down clamp to work. On the OEM battery, it seemed to clamp on to something at the bottom of the battery, but I don't know what. I can't get it to hold down the new battery. I have an appointment to register the battery at the dealer next week, but I don't want to wait until then to get the battery clamped down.
Hi goodman or anyone that would know,

I'm pretty sure my battery died at some point over night. The seats, steering wheel, SAT, FM, AM presets all gone. Plus I have the (ABS - 4x4) control message. I'm assuming it is the battery, but it starts . Both Autozone and Advance Autoparts have batteries in stock (haven't checked NAPA yet)

After replacing the battery, how did you get rid of the active steering message?

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0