BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
rolllikero
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i 2020

Anti dazzle / KAFAS

Hi guys, just got my VIN from my BMW dealership. A quick VIN check shows that my G05 will not come with KAFAS (the vin check reads KAFAS - NA). Am I still able to code anti-dazzle without having KAFAS? All G05's here come with laser light as standard with auto high beam functionality.

I would assume some kind of front facing camera would be needed for auto high beam functionality to work. Does it mean the website I checked my VIN on is inaccurate? I used bimmertech's free VIN checkup.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolllikero View Post
Hi guys, just got my VIN from my BMW dealership. A quick VIN check shows that my G05 will not come with KAFAS (the vin check reads KAFAS - NA). Am I still able to code anti-dazzle without having KAFAS? All G05's here come with laser light as standard with auto high beam functionality.

I would assume some kind of front facing camera would be needed for auto high beam functionality to work. Does it mean the website I checked my VIN on is inaccurate? I used bimmertech's free VIN checkup.
Look for "S5AP" (Decoding anti-glare high-beam assistant). You can try the following website and see if it lists that option. https://www.mdecoder.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
rolllikero
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:

Look for "S5AP" (Decoding anti-glare high-beam assistant). You can try the following website and see if it lists that option. https://www.mdecoder.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:

Negative. Only options are in the picture. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:36 AM   #4
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Negative. Only options are in the picture. [IMG][/IMG]
I can't see how this would work without a KAFAS camera

Having 5AC (HBA) activates FLA if the option is in your VO/FA AND you have KAFAS. The coding for KAFAS is obviously only going to take effect if you actually have a KAFAS camera and ECU.
"When active (value=01), informs that the FLA is functional (= thereis a camera built-in in the car), activates the FLA algorithm and enables the ECU to send out FLA-specific data."

Does KAFAS-NA have a code assigned with it?

The BMW technical training manual, which can be found in the G05 general stickies, states the following:
"The G05 always has the KAFAS Mid camera and rear radar sensors shortrange (left and right) as standard equipment."

Maybe KAFAS-NA means something else, or just that KAFAS-High is not available?

Last edited by ifr; 11-02-2020 at 02:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 05:59 AM   #5
rolllikero
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
I can't see how this would work without a KAFAS camera

Having 5AC (HBA) activates FLA if the option is in your VO/FA AND you have KAFAS. The coding for KAFAS is obviously only going to take effect if you actually have a KAFAS camera and ECU.
"When active (value=01), informs that the FLA is functional (= thereis a camera built-in in the car), activates the FLA algorithm and enables the ECU to send out FLA-specific data."

Does KAFAS-NA have a code assigned with it?

The BMW technical training manual, which can be found in the G05 general stickies, states the following:
"The G05 always has the KAFAS Mid camera and rear radar sensors shortrange (left and right) as standard equipment."

Maybe KAFAS-NA means something else, or just that KAFAS-High is not available?

Thank you for your feedback. I have attached some more images from the VIN Decoder.

I also note from the manual that there is a visual difference in the KAFAS mid camera and KAFAS high camera. Maybe I can physically check on delivery? I have asked the sales associate but I doubt he will have an answer.

My car has none of the functions stated under Active Driving Assistant Professional (SA 5AU). However, my car has the auto-high beam function with the laser lights. Wouldn't some kind of KAFAS be needed for this to work? Without a camera how can the vehicle detect oncoming traffic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0