F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Hive Heating Installation
ARMA SPEED

11-04-2020, 08:15 AM   #1
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive

Hive Heating Installation

So i've been given the Hive heating kit (with single channel receiver as I've got a combi boiler). However, I can't install it, because i'm not at all hands on and don't trust myself

However, having googled it, it *looks* to be quite a quick job. I went onto checkatrade to see if a plumber could give me a quote to fit. One has called so far and said it would take 45 minutes at a cost of £95... This seems really steep... but maybe it is that much? Anyone got any experience of Hive products?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
I actually had mine installed today... two-channel as I've got a system boiler with separate hot water.

£100+VAT I was quoted for Hive (install only, not supply)... although plumber was here to do other stuff too.
The Hive install took him just under an hour and invoice came to £180 + VAT for a total of just over 3 hours work.

So £95 doesn't sound unreasonable.

I possibly could have done it myself, if it was a case of a straight swap of the thermostat and boiler controls, but didn't want to risk it incase something didn't work, or wasn't as straight forwards as the instructions looked.
Its definitely something any electrician or plumber should be able to manage quite easily though, even if they've never seen a Hive before.

Our plumber has done us a solid more than once so happy to pay his rate.

Going to fit the Hive TRVs myself though, as they're simple. Radiators already have the TRVs on, just a case of replacing the tops... no need for a spanner or anything like that.

My progress thread
Appreciate 1
mcscoobs169.00
      11-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

It is pretty straight forward and I nearly went Hive due to how easy it is to install. Ended up with Nest instead which took a little bit more wiring as the control dial needs power and isn't wireless.

It's basically 5/6 wires, which combi boiler do you have.
Appreciate 1
mcscoobs169.00
      11-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

If you already have a wall mounted daily programmer, it will probably have a universal backplate. The backplate being the part that's actually wired.
Pop the front off & see if the hive controller will just clip onto it.
That's the only thing that needs wiring.
Your thermostat is wireless & can go anywhere you like. The hub plugs into your router.
Even if the backplate doesn't fit, the wiring will be like for like. Just remember to turn the power off before swapping the wires over.
      11-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #5
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah fair enough... I just wondered if I was paying nearly £100 for what would be a 10 minute job! Clearly it's a lot more detailed than I initially anticipated then...

It's a Vaillant EcoTec Pro 24. I have just a wall mounted thermostat, but that's it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #6
AndyMD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Golf R 2020

It's a two or three step process.

Disconnect your old room stat
Replace daily programmer
Reconfigure the electronics just before the boiler.

I had a go myself but ended up paying British Gas to install it. It was about £100 IIRC was 2 years ago
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscoobs View Post
Ah fair enough... I just wondered if I was paying nearly £100 for what would be a 10 minute job! Clearly it's a lot more detailed than I initially anticipated then...

It's a Vaillant EcoTec Pro 24. I have just a wall mounted thermostat, but that's it.
Yeah, if you don't already have a daily programmer, that's where your cost lyes. I reckon sub £100 to get someone in to do it all is pretty reasonable tbh.
      11-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Installing my Tado system was very straightforward, with clear online tutorials, including replacing the digital programmer with the Tado interface.

The Honeywell (from memory) wiring interface (think 'junction box') was a different matter, comprising a pre-wired 'circuit plate' with different wires cut depending on the circuits which had to be preserved or broken, and the in/out wiring connections to/from the boiler, electronic valves for heating and hot water, programmer and thermostat.

At that point I gave top and paid a heating engineer - about £100 I think.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

A few years ago i installed 4 nest units in house... not a plumber or electrician - the first one i mapped all the wiring out in our boiler room and drew it out using visio to make sure i knew which wires went the valves.... took me atleast an hour to work out the rat nest of wiring.. then 10 mins to do!

The other units were pretty straight forward after that and luckily the colour coding of wiring was consistent!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 03:45 AM   #10
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks all, just wanted to double check I wasn't being ripped off before I took the plunge
Appreciate 0