BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Help! Need driving in the snow tips! - Lake Tahoe

10-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Help! Need driving in the snow tips! - Lake Tahoe

I have never driven in the snow.

I have plans to go to lake Tahoe during the Winter, in my wife's Dodge Durango, from the Bay Area. This is not a 4WD car. The car will be packed (4 adults and 4 kids).

I just moved from FL, so my experience with this kind of climate is rather limited.

Some of my colleagues at work told me to be careful, it snows a lot in the area, and driving might be dangerous. They mentioned to get chains.

So I'm asking my fellow E90postians - any tips for an inexperienced snow driver?

Last edited by martieg; 10-10-2008 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Inexperienced driver/RWD/loaded SUV... take it slow. There's no need to rush, and don't let other drivers push you to an uncomfortable speed.

Driving in the snow in a RWD vehicle isn't that difficult, just takes some thinking.
Definitely invest in some winter rubber. Give plenty of room for other vehicles (you never know when you'll hit a slick patch when approaching a stop light). DO NOT USE CRUISE. Gradual throttle and brake input, and don't brake/accelerate while turning.
      10-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

It's not that bad really. If you want to be safe I would watch the weather and go on a day with no showers in the forecast. But regardless, always bring chains when heading to Tahoe just in case they're required. As NMulax said, take things slow. You can use the turn out lanes to let others pass you. Also remember to pump the brakes when braking and not just slam on them as your car might skid. As long as you pay attention and don't do anything crazy you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Make every movement slowly. Turn in/Turn out slowly, be gradual with both brake and accelerator pedals. If you find yourself sliding sideways, just like drifting, steer towards the skid and apply light acceleration. Pumping the brakes, as mentioned above, is generally good, especially when you need to stop quickly. Speed will be your greatest battle. Take corners slowly, especially with such a weighted vehicle. Because of all the weight you have in the car, you should have mildly better traction then if it was just yourself.

/general tips
      10-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I live up in the Tahoe area. Definately get chains as they are often required when snow hits. Caltrans does an amazing job of clearing the snow though, so most of the time in the winter driving is fairly easy. The real thing that you need to be prepared for is the ice that forms at night. Like everyone said, drive slowly and carefully.

Also please take off you chains when they aren't required. I can't tell you how often I am stuck behind some moron with his chains on going 20 mph on dry pavement.

BTW it snowed today.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks to everyone for your tips.

Question: where do I buy the chains? How much should I expect to pay for them?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 04:24 AM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Just buy good winter tyres and drive carefully...with winter tyres or chains there is no problem with acceleration...PROBLEM is to stop the car!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Just buy good winter tyres and drive carefully...with winter tyres or chains there is no problem with acceleration...PROBLEM is to stop the car!
In Tahoe, Chains are required when we get snow. If you don't have them you are not allowed to continue. They actually stop traffic on the highway and check your car. If chains are required and you do not have 4wd with snow tires or chains installed, you are not allowed to pass. Even with 4wd you are still required to carry chains.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecatrache View Post
Thanks to everyone for your tips.

Question: where do I buy the chains? How much should I expect to pay for them?
Most any auto parts store carries them.
Appreciate 0