ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Danio0o
Registered
Rep
Drives: coming soon

HiFi loudspeaker system professional

hey... i'm about to order Z4 M Coupe, one of the options i'm confused about maybe u can help me out...

what's the difference between

HiFi loudspeaker system ---> ( i choosed this one for now )*

and

HiFi loudspeaker system professional ?

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

For the ultra-high end (/professional) system, all the (non-"professional") speakers were replaced with higher end ones. The difference in sound quality is measurable. The lower end of the two, also has 10 speakers, including dual 6" subs, however for the better of the two, those said two 6" subwoofers are upgraded for these (Phillips made) subwoofers designed by Carver audio.

Some people dont like the 6" 's, however I find them to be quite adequet for an OEM premium/professional sound system. Asides from the subs themselves, its difficult to improve on the sound quality of the "Professional" sound system all things considered.
I've done car audio for over half my life and I can honestly say it would be very hard to replace the Professional sound system with a better one for anything short of a $1000-1500 at an absolute bare-minimum quote.

I have the Professional sound system in my car. My only complaints about the WHOLE system is that there could be much deeper and more crisp bass, but considering how small the subwoofers are, and how little space they take up (enclosure wise) I really can't complain.
The 6's dont go too much below 50-60hz without much distortion, and even though they do have a fair bit of whallop, it can still be improved.

I'd say go for the upgraded sound system. It makes day to day driving much more enjoyable, the wieght difference will be absolutely minimal.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Danio0o
Registered
Rep

thx man ...... i also found this site, maybe others can look at

http://users.telenet.be/AcousticSolu...navigation.htm
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Graham M
Canada
Rep

This thread also might be of an interest to you. Its an Ipod integration interface. Works amazingly well too, I have mine on order.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106082
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Danio0o
Registered
Rep

yeah that's nice... better than CD changer
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Z sound systems all sound like crap. I have the premium THX system and find the system to be below average at best. I have a Revel, Jeff Rowland, Transparent Ultra and etc... home system with monoblock amps so maybe I am a bit jaded but I can tell you I sure as hell would not pay extra for the stereo in the car. I like the flip up screen but other than that I am more impressed with the the extended leather than the upgraded nav/sound system. My two cents.

I upgraded the sub/amp and it is 20% better but I think I will do a complete gut if I keep the car longer than another year or two.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Reach
gone baby gone
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

I did a complete gut of the stock system, and I had the 'ultra' or Carver system.

All 3 systems offered in the Z are pretty pathetic IMO, even compared to other OEM car systems, even compared to other BMWs.

If you really care about the sound in the car, order the cheapest OEM system possible and save your money to upgrade it later. If you only slightly care about the sound system, order the middle-of-the-road setup, that gives you the 10 speakers (instead of 6) and at least you'll have something.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Graham M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
Z sound systems all sound like crap. I have the premium THX system and find the system to be below average at best. I have a Revel, Jeff Rowland, Transparent Ultra and etc... home system with monoblock amps so maybe I am a bit jaded but I can tell you I sure as hell would not pay extra for the stereo in the car.
I'm on the same boat, I think it sounds mediocre (in the GRAND scheme of things) as well, but in comparison to 80-90% of the other cars, its really not all that bad.

I've heard many speakers and amps worth WELL into the 5 figures, and yes it does absolutely blow this OEM stereo right out of the water, there is no comparison, but I dont think anybody that bashes this stereo, that whole-heartledly is really being realistic. Mind you I've never auditioned every BMW, Benz or Lexus stereo, but to compare this with the "Premium" sound system option of other cars, its not too shabby at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
I'm on the same boat, I think it sounds mediocre (in the GRAND scheme of things) as well, but in comparison to 80-90% of the other cars, its really not all that bad.

I've heard many speakers and amps worth WELL into the 5 figures, and yes it does absolutely blow this OEM stereo right out of the water, there is no comparison, but I dont think anybody that bashes this stereo, that whole-heartledly is really being realistic. Mind you I've never auditioned every BMW, Benz or Lexus stereo, but to compare this with the "Premium" sound system option of other cars, its not too shabby at all.
Exactly. It's a car for God's sake. There is NO SUCH THING as super high end audio in a car.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I have a toyota with a stereo that sounds 10X better. I am saying this premium sound car system is not premium compared to many other cars with premium sound systems. I think the HK system in other BMWs sound better than this. I think the Levinson sound system in Lexus sounds better. I think the sound system in most Acuras sound better. I could keep going but you get my point. If you like it, that is all that matters.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
chaforjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Black M Coupe

the Z4 M stereo is by far one of the worst stock stereos i've heard...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTS View Post
Exactly. It's a car for God's sake. There is NO SUCH THING as super high end audio in a car.
umm, actually there is in some higher end cars. Even companies as cheap as Lexus have them