F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 100k+ Miles Services (N20/N26)
Extreme Powerhouse

12-28-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
rgolding
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 Supra A91-MT

100k+ Miles Services (N20/N26)

For those of you who have broken 100k Miles on your F3x with an N20/N26 engine, what is your service recommendations/intervals?
I am just about to peak 100k and keep on top with oil changes every 6-8k miles, and just paid my last *free* visit to the dealer. Looking forward, I want to make sure everything stays healthy. So far, this is what I have found around the forums in multiple different threads, but I'd like to gather a list to see what everyone recommends for the following and putting it all in one location for anyone else who wants to keep track of what they need to keep their F3x for another 100k Miles!

- Oil Change [6-8k]
- Engine Air Filter [3rd Oil Change or 30k Miles]
- Cabin Micro Air Filter [~2yr]
- Transmission Fluid [70k]
- Differential Fluid [70k?]
- Transfer Case Fluid [?]
- Front Breaks [~50-60k]
- Rear Breaks [~50-60k]
- Brake Fluid [~2yr]
- Coolant Flush [100k First, 50k After]
- Spark Plugs [60k]
- Battery Replacement [~8yr]
- Windshield Wipers [1yr (depending on use)]

If there is anything else that should be regularly checked or changed out to be added to this list that I missed please also let me know!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 11:35 PM   #2
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
-Coils
-Shocks front and rear
-Serpentine belt
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 08:01 PM   #3
green grass
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi

I hate pollen, so I replace the cabin air filter after every pollen season. Usually I do it with a shop vac running in the wheel well to catch any pollen that falls.

I am also getting in the habit taking a look at the timing chain every few months. I know you don't see much, but it's good to check if there's any scoring, out of fear of the dreaded timing chain guide failure.
Appreciate 1
sspade2466.00
      01-03-2021, 09:41 PM   #4
poops
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
For those of you who have broken 100k Miles on your F3x with an N20/N26 engine, what is your service recommendations/intervals?
I am just about to peak 100k and keep on top with oil changes every 6-8k miles, and just paid my last *free* visit to the dealer. Looking forward, I want to make sure everything stays healthy. So far, this is what I have found around the forums in multiple different threads, but I'd like to gather a list to see what everyone recommends for the following and putting it all in one location for anyone else who wants to keep track of what they need to keep their F3x for another 100k Miles!

- Oil Change [6-8k]
- Front Breaks [~50-60k]
- Rear Breaks [~50-60k]
- Brake Fluid [~2yr]
- Spark Plugs [60k]

If there is anything else that should be regularly checked or changed out to be added to this list that I missed please also let me know!

I just purchased a used F32 with the N26 engine with 52K miles. The BMW dealership I bought it from did new brakes all around + oil change + brake flush. On the Navi screen, under Settings > Vehicle Info /Maintenance -- the rear brakes show as 60,000 miles left while the fronts show 19,000 miles left. Does this sound right? The front rotors look brand new with new pads.

Also, is it recommended to get a tranny flush at around 52K?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poops View Post
Quote:

- Oil Change [6-8k]
- Front Breaks [~50-60k]
- Rear Breaks [~50-60k]
- Brake Fluid [~2yr]
- Spark Plugs [60k]

I just purchased a used F32 with the N26 engine with 52K miles. The BMW dealership I bought it from did new brakes all around + oil change + brake flush. On the Navi screen, under Settings > Vehicle Info /Maintenance -- the rear brakes show as 60,000 miles left while the fronts show 19,000 miles left. Does this sound right? The front rotors look brand new with new pads.

Also, is it recommended to get a tranny flush at around 52K?
My factory brakes lasted over 100k miles. All depends on how you drive. I wouldnt get too caught up in what iDrive says.

Drive sensibly and they will last a long time. Once the sensor trips, youll know its time. iDrive is nothing more than an educated guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
rgolding
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by green grass View Post
I hate pollen, so I replace the cabin air filter after every pollen season. Usually I do it with a shop vac running in the wheel well to catch any pollen that falls.

I am also getting in the habit taking a look at the timing chain every few months. I know you don't see much, but it's good to check if there's any scoring, out of fear of the dreaded timing chain guide failure.
Yea, thats one to keep an eye on. I had mine replaced around 75k Miles. Started to hear a whine, got it replaced on an extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #7
rgolding
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
My factory brakes lasted over 100k miles. All depends on how you drive. I wouldnt get too caught up in what iDrive says.

Drive sensibly and they will last a long time. Once the sensor trips, youll know its time. iDrive is nothing more than an educated guess.
I had my fronts and rear rotors both replaced around 55/58k miles, and they replaced my rears again around 88k for some reason. Im not due to have the fronts replaced until at least 120k, but i do a lot of mountain driving. iDrive is never really correct until it tells you to replace them.

As for the tranny, I've been seeing some places say do it every 60k, some say after 100k. Mine was re done around 45k because they found a leak, but im probably going to have it re done again this summer with the kit from FCP (around 105k).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
I had my fronts and rear rotors both replaced around 55/58k miles, and they replaced my rears again around 88k for some reason. Im not due to have the fronts replaced until at least 120k, but i do a lot of mountain driving. iDrive is never really correct until it tells you to replace them.

As for the tranny, I've been seeing some places say do it every 60k, some say after 100k. Mine was re done around 45k because they found a leak, but im probably going to have it re done again this summer with the kit from FCP (around 105k).
Guidance from ZF on the 8AT used to be 100k km (62k mi), but was recently revised to 75k mi. I posted the PDF in one of the other threads recently. Of course, if tracking the car or otherwise driving hard, you should shorten the interval. I would not wait until after 100k miles.
Appreciate 0