E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Can't read dme, cranks but won't start

01-08-2021, 02:53 AM   #1
Loza335i
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2007 e92 335i

Can't read dme, cranks but won't start

Posted this in n54 section but realise I should've posted here?

Hi all,
I've had my car sitting for a month while changing power steering pump. I stupidly left my WiFi mhd adapter in, battery went flat and faulty so I've replaced.

Car was running fine apart from 02 sensor fault codes.

So I've replaced the power steering pump and battery and now it cranks but doesn't start. Dashboard comes up with dtc, tyre pressure and more faults.

I can connect my phone to mhd but it can't read the dme. Only the red light is on the mhd WiFi module. I've deleted the app and reinstalled.

Hopefully I haven't fried the ecu!

I've been scanning the Internet and can find crank but won't start but those people can read dme. The only thing I've seen close was related to a module that runs the fuel pump but with the ignition on my pump is running continuously so doesn't seem to be that.

Also I'm in australia where there's very little erosion problems so no corrosion on battery board or connectors, no water in battery well.

I've looked over the work I've carried out and can't see anything nearby that would affect dme.

Any help from the electrical masterminds on here would be greatly appreciated and I can provide more info and a walk through of what I've done and hopefully resolve and help someone else in future.

Ps can't see the point in getting a good scan tool if the mhd won't read

I'm mechanically minded but not electrically

Also 2007 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:11 PM   #2
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loza335i View Post
Posted this in n54 section but realise I should've posted here?

Hi all,
I've had my car sitting for a month while changing power steering pump. I stupidly left my WiFi mhd adapter in, battery went flat and faulty so I've replaced.

Car was running fine apart from 02 sensor fault codes.

So I've replaced the power steering pump and battery and now it cranks but doesn't start. Dashboard comes up with dtc, tyre pressure and more faults.

I can connect my phone to mhd but it can't read the dme. Only the red light is on the mhd WiFi module. I've deleted the app and reinstalled.

Hopefully I haven't fried the ecu!

I've been scanning the Internet and can find crank but won't start but those people can read dme. The only thing I've seen close was related to a module that runs the fuel pump but with the ignition on my pump is running continuously so doesn't seem to be that.

Also I'm in australia where there's very little erosion problems so no corrosion on battery board or connectors, no water in battery well.

I've looked over the work I've carried out and can't see anything nearby that would affect dme.

Any help from the electrical masterminds on here would be greatly appreciated and I can provide more info and a walk through of what I've done and hopefully resolve and help someone else in future.

Ps can't see the point in getting a good scan tool if the mhd won't read

I'm mechanically minded but not electrically

Also 2007 335i
Did you unplug any connectors from the power distribution box on top of the battery? I have seen people not plug them in properly, which results in a crank no start situation.

Personally i would be scanning it with ISTA as many other scanners don't pick up all the fault codes. It's free to download. You just need a cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #3
Loza335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
Did you unplug any connectors from the power distribution box on top of the battery? I have seen people not plug them in properly, which results in a crank no start situation.

Personally i would be scanning it with ISTA as many other scanners don't pick up all the fault codes. It's free to download. You just need a cable.
I didn't when changing battery, I'll inspect the unit but do you know if when there's an issue with that unit that the car screen would pop up with all the dtc, tyre pressure etc warning lights?

I will order the cable and download ista and see if I can get anywhere with that. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 11:47 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
... So I've replaced the power steering pump and battery and now it cranks but doesn't start... I can connect my phone to mhd but it can't read the dme... 2007 335i
With 2007 Model, ALWAYS post build month/year, as MANY electrical changes occurred 3/1/2007 in middle of 2007 Model Run, particularly fuse numbers and contents of E-box. THAT is important in your case as the first suspect if you can "connect to" all other modules, or your scan tool/software recognizes presence of all other ~ 20 modules on the bus system, but NOT the DME: Lack of DME Power Supply, due to lack of activation of DME Main Relay, K6300.

The DME Main Relay is located in the E-box if build date is PRIOR to 3/1/2007, and fuse F03 (middle fuse on 5-fuse carrier, also in E-box) has 12V+ with ignition ON, IF K6300 Main Relay is properly-activated.

If build date AFTER 3/1/2007: fuse F78, located on the JB Fuse Panel, is powered by the DME Main Relay.

So I would check for voltage at the respective Fuse Socket for your build date, with Ignition ON, to see if DME is getting power. Any cheap DMM (Digital Multimeter) can easily read Voltage at a fuse socket, but if you have NOT experimented with voltage readings, post back for "How To". If you post back for more info, please indicate build month/year, and preferably the Last-7 Characters of your VIN so we can provide specific ISTA wiring diagrams for your vehicle, and also component location diagrams. If you start taking the time to understand electrical basics on your car, you will be glad you did, as many issues with vehicles these days are electrical as opposed to mechanical.

Learning the CONCEPTS of how an electrical system works, and how to test it, is similar to CONCEPTS related to mechanical systems. Just need to learn some new tricks, perhaps with new tools, such as a Multimeter to read voltage. In US, a Chinese Multimeter costs ~ $7 US, and an hour or two experimenting with voltage readings will "expand your horizons" & allow you to diagnose & fix things that seem "complicated" at the moment, just 'cuz you haven't YET taken the time to learn the basic CONCEPTS.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
Loza335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
With 2007 Model, ALWAYS post build month/year, as MANY electrical changes occurred 3/1/2007 in middle of 2007 Model Run, particularly fuse numbers and contents of E-box. THAT is important in your case as the first suspect if you can "connect to" all other modules, or your scan tool/software recognizes presence of all other ~ 20 modules on the bus system, but NOT the DME: Lack of DME Power Supply, due to lack of activation of DME Main Relay, K6300.

The DME Main Relay is located in the E-box if build date is PRIOR to 3/1/2007, and fuse F03 (middle fuse on 5-fuse carrier, also in E-box) has 12V+ with ignition ON, IF K6300 Main Relay is properly-activated.

If build date AFTER 3/1/2007: fuse F78, located on the JB Fuse Panel, is powered by the DME Main Relay.

So I would check for voltage at the respective Fuse Socket for your build date, with Ignition ON, to see if DME is getting power. Any cheap DMM (Digital Multimeter) can easily read Voltage at a fuse socket, but if you have NOT experimented with voltage readings, post back for "How To". If you post back for more info, please indicate build month/year, and preferably the Last-7 Characters of your VIN so we can provide specific ISTA wiring diagrams for your vehicle, and also component location diagrams. If you start taking the time to understand electrical basics on your car, you will be glad you did, as many issues with vehicles these days are electrical as opposed to mechanical.

Learning the CONCEPTS of how an electrical system works, and how to test it, is similar to CONCEPTS related to mechanical systems. Just need to learn some new tricks, perhaps with new tools, such as a Multimeter to read voltage. In US, a Chinese Multimeter costs ~ $7 US, and an hour or two experimenting with voltage readings will "expand your horizons" & allow you to diagnose & fix things that seem "complicated" at the moment, just 'cuz you haven't YET taken the time to learn the basic CONCEPTS.

George
Thanks George,

Build date is 10/2007

Last 7 digits of vin are p054126

Off to get a multimeter now
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:24 PM   #6
Loza335i
Rep

Quote:

Thanks Eva bmw,

I've just ordered the k-dcan cable and downloading software now

I'll get back to you as soon as it arrives
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:43 PM   #7
Loza335i
Rep

Quote:

Having issues downloading ista (the misses doesn't trust some of the sources on jer laptop).
Would inpa be sufficient to test if I can get that working?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 01:45 AM   #8
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Having issues downloading ista (the misses doesn't trust some of the sources on jer laptop).
Would inpa be sufficient to test if I can get that working?
Yeah INPA will be fine it's just not as detailed as ISTA. Bimmergeeks.net is the best trusted source. There is a "software help yourself" section on here as well which has ISTA
Appreciate 0