F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rusty Brake Discs
ARMA SPEED

01-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #1
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Rusty Brake Discs

I noticed the other day that the outer 1-2cm of my brake discs had gone very rusty. With lockdown and partially working from home I hadn't used the car much over recent weeks. Car is 21 months old with 11,500 miles from new with M-Sport brakes.

Took the car out a couple of times and done some heavy braking (auto), and even some left foot braking whilst driving to try and clean it off. It did clean some off but not much.

Today I got some brake cleaner spray and wire wool, got the front wheels off and attempted to clean them up but noticed a black crust on the disc in that area. Eventually use a chisel to scrape off the rusty crust, cleaned up with emery paper and wire wool and a wipe down with brake cleaner.

Took the car out for more heavy braking and now the front discs look almost as they should. Hoping that after a few more drives with an emphasis on braking that they will be back to normal.

It was a couple of hours of work but hope I have saved my M-Sport discs, given their price.
      01-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #2
Rasco
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Brembo produce discs that are UV coated on the non contact areas of the disc such as the bell housing to prevent the non contact areas of the disc from rusting up I had them on my e46 and e91, they looked so much better than the OEM ones. Just FYI
      01-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #3
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasco View Post
Brembo produce discs that are UV coated on the non contact areas of the disc such as the bell housing to prevent the non contact areas of the disc from rusting up I had them on my e46 and e91, they looked so much better than the OEM ones. Just FYI
Thanks, worth considering when they need replacing.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #4
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
It was a couple of hours of work but hope I have saved my M-Sport discs, given their price.
This is the problem with most cars now that are high powered but get driven gently most of the time (or parked up on the street with Covid) as they're just so overbraked that when they are driven the brakes are only tickled. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad brakes are good, but there are downsides. I tend to make a point of actually doing some harder stops most longer drives simply to clear the rotors up even if the hard braking isn't needed.

My Impreza was parked on the street for years and most of the rotor wear with the last set of AP's (at £500 a set!) was purely down to the surface rust building up . If you're mechanically inclined then you can lift the rotors off the car and give them a clean up with a wire cup on a grinder but it's a lot of effort if it's then just going to be parked up for another few months.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I have to clean by discs each seasonal wheel change over.

Agree on the light use, even when we do drive. I find I have to use my brakes more than I need, just to keep them looking a bit decent.

I've the Brembo discs with the latest coating, still rust away on the outer edges and into the friction faces.

Always been the weak spot for brakes up here, if you don't use a car every day.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #6
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I have to clean by discs each seasonal wheel change over.

Agree on the light use, even when we do drive. I find I have to use my brakes more than I need, just to keep them looking a bit decent.

I've the Brembo discs with the latest coating, still rust away on the outer edges and into the friction faces.

Always been the weak spot for brakes up here, if you don't use a car every day.
I have always used my cars daily in the past, but then went part time, and now go into the office every other week, and not using much during lockdown. When I do drive, I only tickle the brakes on the motorway. The car can be standing for over a week without use, hence the low mileage.

This has taught me a lesson and will have to take it out and give it a proper drive on a regular basis.
Appreciate 0