E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 0.96" OLED cluster mod (WIP)

01-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #1
starfox5194
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

0.96" OLED cluster mod (WIP)

Long story short, I want a boost gauge and a coolant gauge, but I don't want something stuck up on my dashboard. P3 gauge would be sweet but like $400 once all is said and done. Also, the gauge location is not ideal for line of sight and it blocks the air vent. AND it takes up the OBD port.

0.96" OLED screens can be bought for just a couple of bucks. It would be cool if I could fit one in the cluster!

I don't have adaptive cruise, and honestly, I don't see myself adding it any time in the future, so the adaptive cruise info is unnecessary in my dash. If I ever did want to add it, I think I might be able to emulate the indicators on my display.

It took some plastic melting, scraping, etc, but the screen does fit!

The #1 issue right now is mounting the display control board. The cable has to be extended to mount the screen away from the control board. Commence tiny soldering!

Somehow I managed to not kill the screen while soldering, but I think the heat gun damaged part of the bottom of the display when I removed the screen from the control board. Looking for alternative solutions to make this a much easier task.

This might work, with ZIF extender to make a solution that requires much less soldering but I was hoping for SPI, not I2C so that the display will update as fast as possible
https://www.buydisplay.com/128x64-ol...or-fpc-ssd1306

So now that the screen fits and looks decent in the dash, I am going to do some programming.
Loopybunny has all of the 100khz KCAN codes here:
http://www.loopybunny.co.uk/CarPC/k_can.html

This guy found out how to estimate torque and horspower over kcan, allowing for some cool logging possibilities. 0-60 timer should be possible, too.

Additionally, I bought a pressure sensor for 20$ on amazon that can detect boost and send it to a microcontroller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The microcontroller I will be using is the ESP32. This board is just a few dollars and comes with a bluetooth module for smartphone add development possibilities later on.

Here is a video of the screen in action:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Nickco431457.50
      01-31-2021, 10:51 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Sweet!

Why could you not use a display mounted on a driver chip equipped board directly?

https://lastminuteengineers.com/oled...sp32-tutorial/

Was it a space issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
starfox5194
Private
Rep

Yup, space issue. I am messing around trying to get things to look as clean as possible, with a simple installation.

I might end up ordering a small batch of custom PCBs (5-10) to make the screen install much cleaner. They would be available upon request.

In case anyone wants an update:

1) Got boost sensor working. Readings jump around a lot +/- 1.5PSI, so I need to write a smoothing algorithm. I'm using the display code from here:
https://github.com/matt-downs/arduino-oled-auto-gauges

Maybe down the road I will look into making an oil pressure gauge too.

2) The can transceivers for the ESP32 microcontroller I got on amazon are not working. Currently prototyping using an arduino and MCP2515, while I wait for working chips from china.

3) I am hard at work on the coding. Menu system will be something like this:

Boot logo - BMW or M logo (Microcontroller boots in like a second, so the logo would really just be there to look pretty)

1) Fancy boost gauge from Matt Downs
2) RPM + Speed (Simple number text display)
3) 0-60, 100, 120 timer (I don't drive over 110, so anthing higher will be untested)
4) Virtual Dyno (Logs torque + RPM for 15-20 seconds, plots graph of Torque + horsepower after)
5) Simple gauge - Boost, engine temp, battery voltage... maybe something else.
6) Diagnostic gauge showing as much info as I can fit on the screen

Menu pages selectable by pressing steering wheel button combo.

Also, I found out that by placing some translucent plastic films over the oled I can get a pretty close match to the bmw red/orange color. Going to the crafts store in a couple days to see if they have something cheap that allows maximum light to pass through.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 05:39 PM   #4
starfox5194
Private
Rep

For anyone who was curious, I've made a ton of progress.

I ended up switching to a teensy 3.2 because it had a better can-bus library.

I'm planning on adding an accelerometer and making a custom pcb in the coming months.

code is on my git. I doubt anyone will really want to replicate this exactly as I did, but I think it is a great platform for a dash mount kit.

https://github.com/alexvnesta/TEENSY32BMWGAUGE
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 02:39 AM   #5
popsicle_3000
Rep
Drives: e92 2007

this looks great! congrats
Appreciate 0