BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum My initial impression of the X7

02-18-2021, 12:37 AM   #1
Greg-BimmerX7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

My initial impression of the X7

I had a chance to drive my X7 in the city and a trip to Orlando and back. After almost 1000 miles, here are my impressions:

Looks:
Beautifully designed car. It is a large car but the unibody design “hides" the size. I love the aggressive appearing front. No, the front grill is not too big, especially coming from the 2019 Navigator. I got the shadowline package which goes perfectly with the tanzanite blue paint. The interior is simply gorgeous. I have the ivory white interior with leather dashboard and mirror stick. Love the ambient lighting and sporty cluster. Needed to get used to the speedometer on the left but it didn't take long. It may not be as roomy as the Navigator (what is really?), it is roomy enough to be comfy. The heated/cooled cup holders sounds like a gimmick, but I find myself using them a lot.

Drive:
Words cannot describe how amazing this thing drives. It has to be one of the most stable cars I have driven. You do not feel the speed you are going on the highway. The steering is responsive with an excellent turning radius, which makes it very easy to drive, especially compared to the clumsy driving of my previous Navigator. During heavy rain my car didn’t even feel the extremely wet roads. Whether I am on comfort or sport mode, this thing drives athletically especially for its size. I feel little or no body lean on faster turns. The twin turbo v8 is really powerful. I had a great opportunity to test it out when I had an unexpected merge happen in a remote Florida road (got detoured off the highway), had a semi next to me, and I had to floor it. The engine passed the test with flying colors. The transmission is the best I have ever felt, completely effortless. Gas mileage is a little worse than the navigator, but I didn’t buy the M50i for the gas mileage. Little bit of road noise but nothing crazy. I enabled the automatic locking when walking away… works like a charm. Driving assist really impressed me. The brakes are so good I had to get used to them because they are far more responsive than the navigator.

Interior:
The infotainment system has the best interface I have experienced. I love how every little detail is presented, from the welcome screen to the warning chime when I start the car. I love how things are arranged like the home screen with the navigation map, the android auto button, apple music box, various settings, etc. Everything feels better integrated than the Navigator. The gestures work better than expected. The navigation is accurate and easy to use. I just wish they used a different color line for the route as it blends in with the map easily. The leather seats are comfortable. The massage seats are not as punchy as my Navigator, but it does more types of massages than the navigator did. I love how my car suggested a break when on a long drive.

My first bimmer. This is by far the best car I have ever driven.
Appreciate 8
LittleJoe1065.00
MystroX56303.50
Al Pină1839.50
djbonsu113.00
m-prsev74.50
x7bmw23281.50
      02-18-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-BimmerX7 View Post
I had a chance to drive my X7 in the city and a trip to Orlando and back. After almost 1000 miles, here are my impressions:

Looks:
Beautifully designed car. It is a large car but the unibody design “hides" the size. I love the aggressive appearing front. No, the front grill is not too big, especially coming from the 2019 Navigator. I got the shadowline package which goes perfectly with the tanzanite blue paint. The interior is simply gorgeous. I have the ivory white interior with leather dashboard and mirror stick. Love the ambient lighting and sporty cluster. Needed to get used to the speedometer on the left but it didn't take long. It may not be as roomy as the Navigator (what is really?), it is roomy enough to be comfy. The heated/cooled cup holders sounds like a gimmick, but I find myself using them a lot.

Drive:
Words cannot describe how amazing this thing drives. It has to be one of the most stable cars I have driven. You do not feel the speed you are going on the highway. The steering is responsive with an excellent turning radius, which makes it very easy to drive, especially compared to the clumsy driving of my previous Navigator. During heavy rain my car didn’t even feel the extremely wet roads. Whether I am on comfort or sport mode, this thing drives athletically especially for its size. I feel little or no body lean on faster turns. The twin turbo v8 is really powerful. I had a great opportunity to test it out when I had an unexpected merge happen in a remote Florida road (got detoured off the highway), had a semi next to me, and I had to floor it. The engine passed the test with flying colors. The transmission is the best I have ever felt, completely effortless. Gas mileage is a little worse than the navigator, but I didn’t buy the M50i for the gas mileage. Little bit of road noise but nothing crazy. I enabled the automatic locking when walking away… works like a charm. Driving assist really impressed me. The brakes are so good I had to get used to them because they are far more responsive than the navigator.

Interior:
The infotainment system has the best interface I have experienced. I love how every little detail is presented, from the welcome screen to the warning chime when I start the car. I love how things are arranged like the home screen with the navigation map, the android auto button, apple music box, various settings, etc. Everything feels better integrated than the Navigator. The gestures work better than expected. The navigation is accurate and easy to use. I just wish they used a different color line for the route as it blends in with the map easily. The leather seats are comfortable. The massage seats are not as punchy as my Navigator, but it does more types of massages than the navigator did. I love how my car suggested a break when on a long drive.

My first bimmer. This is by far the best car I have ever driven.
Congrats on the new ride. I have to say after 3700 miles on mine so far. Have had it since last September I couldn’t agree more. The m50i has been simply awesome. We love it.

Post up some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Congrats!!
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #4
Greg-BimmerX7
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x7

Appreciate 5
m-prsev74.50
djbonsu113.00
Auricom4364.50
bmr760143.00
Wild Blue3683.50
      02-19-2021, 12:24 AM   #5
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Nice review Greg-BimmerX7.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 02:27 AM   #6
x7bmw23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i M Sport

Nice ride.....the X7's are a looker. I feel the same way. I have about 1200 miles on mine and it's an absolute dream to drive back and forth to work, one hour round trip. Can't wait to take it on a road trip. I drive with the driver's assist and it takes the stress out of driving in traffic on in the highway. I love the way you just place the blinker on and the vehicle will change lanes for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 06:34 AM   #7
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Beautiful x7. That’s a great looking color.
Appreciate 0