BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-20-2021, 03:17 PM   #1
wahoorad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 40i, 21' Volvo XC60

New X5 and New BMW Owner - Trip and Vehicle Review

First off, big thanks to all on this forum for the assistance they provide to potential buyers, from the simple, "which cargo liner is best", to the more complex issues of finding a good deal. In particular I would like to thank Turtleboy and Sarabear for their direct assistance.

I purchased a pre-owned MY21 X5 40i. It only had 1153 miles on it when I purchased so practically new. I ended up CPOing the vehicle for $1550 because I put a lot of miles on vehicles.

It has every option that BMW offers except the rear heated seats (guess the guy who had it before was single and didn't care about anything in the rear) and the Merino leather (the guy wanted Cognac and since that was not available in Merino stuck with Vernasca). He did the same on his new M50i, go figure.

So here are my thoughts after putting more than the 1150 miles on the car when we purchased it in in the first week

And as reference our other vehicle is a Volvo XC60 (which we LOVE) and my family has had multiple Lexus and Mercedes, but never a BMW. Honestly I had a bit of a negative brand image of BMW and the folks who drive them (sorry just being honest) but I understand now better why folks are drawn to these cars. After test driving a Q7 and having a Volvo and riding in pretty much every other comparable vehicle I have to say the X5 beats them all by quite a bit. It drives much better and handles much better than an SUV should.

The tech, once you get the hang of it, is better employed (voice, touch, or controller you choose) and the ability to customize to your preference (the screens, drive modes, etc.) is unrivaled in vehicles in its class. It drives well in snow, sleet, and other inclement weather. It is quiet, comfortable (luxury seating package was not something I would have purchased but this came with it and the massage really helps on long trips) with the air suspension and the interior ambient lighting is tastefully employed. The space is great for passengers and with the under floor storage, the cargo space is decent (not great...we were coming from a VW Atlas) but we could get 4 of us and all of our stuff in it.

Only a few cons:
The HK stereo is ok, not as good as the implementation in our Volvo, but definitely not becoming of a vehicle that costs this much. Not sure why the B and W option is not available on the 40i, that's a bit disappointing.

Learning the tech (just opening and locking doors) is not intuitive...and I work in medicine and tech for reference. Volvo's systems are much more intuitive. Found the comfort access and activated it and that's great but some simple things don't have to be that hard.

Its a bit of a big vehicle and not the easiest to park, not a fault of the vehicle just a big car.

If I am being completely honest, its a beautiful vehicle but Volvo is just prettier inside and out.

But really the vehicle is fantastic and justifies the cost, which is considerable.

I am happy to help answer any questions folks have to help them come to a similar conclusion.
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2021, 06:24 PM   #2
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

I went from a 2019 X3 x30i to a 2021 X5 M50i because my golf clubs didn’t quite fit in the X3. I’m so happy I have an oversized driver!

I had various domestic and foreign cars throughout my life, I traded in a Volt when I bought the X5. The volt was an amazing car, pretty wonderful in every way but it was a Chevy that had an impossible to find rattle when I drove above 50 mph that drove me crazy. I miss not putting gas in the Volt but I just want to drive my BMW, I’m sure you and many here feel the same way and this is coming from a guy who sees his car as a means to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. Now I want to take the long scenic route!
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Glad you are enjoying it. Congratulations, good luck and be safe.
      02-20-2021, 08:13 PM   #4
wahoorad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 40i, 21' Volvo XC60

Pictures of the new ride fresh and after being in the mud

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]Sharing some pictures of the new ride. Bad weather on the east coast led to a lot of red mud which we had to drive through. I think it looks pretty good dirty as well
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Stoshu494.00
gofast182630.00
      02-20-2021, 09:57 PM   #5
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Looks a lot like mine!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2021, 04:18 AM   #6
menace33
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 45e

Garage List
I must say that I have BMWs for a long time now. But this G05 X5, especially 45e is out of this world. By far the best vehicle you can buy on the market in case you are a techy guy who wants/needs SUV.
Appreciate 0