ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Stebro Exhaust Review (3.0si)

Cliffs notes:
1. Not a perfect fit for 3.0si so bring to a muffler / exhaust shop that will be able to fab up hangers, adapters, etc.
2. When installing an exhaust, in addition to paying attention to how it low/high it sits, and if the tips are even, also take a glance from the SIDES to make sure they’re sticking out the right length (in my case it could’ve come out an inch or so but I’ve seen other Stebro installs where it stuck OUT too much too)
3. Hear droning, almost “boomy” bet 2-2500 rpms. Anything less it purrs, anything more it growls

But I’ll try to post pix and vids of the system tomorrow.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 08-11-2015 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Oh yea, no matter what Dan @ Stebro says, while your exhaust will eventually get here, it never goes out on the shipping date he first quotes. Mine came in 2 weeks and that's considered "fast." I think most others get between 3 - 4 weeks. But for the price and quality, I can't complain.

And even the fitment isn't that big of a deal b/c I think every aftermarket manufacturer advertises their product as one size fits all for all the non-m Zs (although Supersprint might truly be one size that fits all b/c you're supposed to purchase their connector pipe with the muffler)...
      10-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Thanks for the writeup, very good info for Si owners.
      10-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

haha, if your plate didn't have the 7 it woudl read WANK FOR YOU. haha, sorry, im immature at times.
      04-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Angry-cop
The Commissioner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 EVO X GSR, 96 Cherokee

Hey buddy where did you buy this exhaust from.?. and how much.?. Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-cop View Post
Hey buddy where did you buy this exhaust from.?. and how much.?. Thanks...
Woah, totally forgot about this thread. Got on eBay...

I never updated it but after a week or two, the drone got really worse. Others may like it but I didn't so I ended up selling it. If I had to do it again though, I would not have gone this route only b/c Stebro's customer service was so bad and the fact the drone only got worse over time.
      04-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Angry-cop
The Commissioner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Woah, totally forgot about this thread. Got on eBay...

I never updated it but after a week or two, the drone got really worse. Others may like it but I didn't so I ended up selling it. If I had to do it again though, I would not have gone this route only b/c Stebro's customer service was so bad and the fact the drone only got worse over time.
Did you end up getting another brand exhaust? Or just go back to stock?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you end up getting another brand exhaust? Or just go back to stock?
I went with Bastuck. Unlike the Stebro, Bastuck includes midpipe as well. They offer fitments for both and pre and post-facelift Z4's so fitment is near perfect. They also offer the option of having a resonated midpipe or non-resonated. I opted for the resonated so NO drone but a nice sporty tone.
      04-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Angry-cop
The Commissioner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
I went with Bastuck. Unlike the Stebro, Bastuck includes midpipe as well. They offer fitments for both and pre and post-facelift Z4's so fitment is near perfect. They also offer the option of having a resonated midpipe or non-resonated. I opted for the resonated so NO drone but a nice sporty tone.
Can you link me to where you bought the bastuck from. I went on their website and it was garbage... And how much did you pay for your stebro. I've been emailing back and forth with them this morning they have me at like $825 right now shipped but I saw older posts where guys where paying like 450 for it...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Can you link me to where you bought the bastuck from. I went on their website and it was garbage... And how much did you pay for your stebro. I've been emailing back and forth with them this morning they have me at like $825 right now shipped but I saw older posts where guys where paying like 450 for it...
The sound of the stebro was great from the outside of the car but from the inside it was horrible.... Dub and i have/had the coupe Si so it makes the drone worse so that may have played a part. I wouldn't recommend it just based on that, and that's coming from a guy who now has headers and an RPI exhaust on an M coupe....

I paid $450, 825 is ridiculous for just a plain muffler. Another and most likely better option, given the lack of exhaust systems for the Si, would be to just go to an exhaust shop and have them fab you a flowmaster or magnaflow.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Angry-cop
The Commissioner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
The sound of the stebro was great from the outside of the car but from the inside it was horrible.... Dub and i have/had the coupe Si so it makes the drone worse so that may have played a part. I wouldn't recommend it just based on that, and that's coming from a guy who now has headers and an RPI exhaust on an M coupe....

I paid $450, 825 is ridiculous for just a plain muffler. Another and most likely better option, given the lack of exhaust systems for the Si, would be to just go to an exhaust shop and have them fab you a flowmaster or magnaflow.
I told them I saw them cheaper and they dropped the price to $595. I looked on magnaflow's web site and they don't have anything listed for a z4. Do you guys know a part number?? And that might be more expensive having a shop fab an exhaust for me rather then just buying a bolt on muffler?? How much do the bostuck systems go for ??
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
I told them I saw them cheaper and they dropped the price to $595. I looked on magnaflow's web site and they don't have anything listed for a z4. Do you guys know a part number?? And that might be more expensive having a shop fab an exhaust for me rather then just buying a bolt on muffler?? How much do the bostuck systems go for ??
Gferil had two cans done with dual tips using a generic resonator for 300 bucks on his Z4M. Nice dual tips, nice welds, perfect fit. So yes you can get one fabbed cheaper. (Saw it, and heard it--outside and inside--at Exhaust 'Fest last weekend.)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
Angry-cop
The Commissioner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Gferil had two cans done with dual tips using a generic resonator for 300 bucks on his Z4M. Nice dual tips, nice welds, perfect fit. So yes you can get one fabbed cheaper. (Saw it, and heard it--outside and inside--at Exhaust 'Fest last weekend.)
Could you ask him to post up part numbers for what he Used? I searched exhaust threads and could not find his...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

for you it would have to be different as you need a dual in-dual out (or one out) muffler. Us M guys have single in so its going to be different part numbers.
Appreciate 0