E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Tracking

10-23-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
jonsteele
Old enough to know better!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Tracking

I hit a pothole on the apex of a curve last Sat at 'speed'! It was a left hander, so the NSF took a real wollop (to the point it bounced my kid's coke bottles out of the holders!). There is no visible damage to the wheel, but the steering doesn't seem right - I can't tell if its veering as I've not found a flat road with no traffic, but it seems heavier when I turn left than when I turn right!

I took it to Kwik Fit (unfortunately our lease company insist on us using these cowboys) and they said tracking has to be done by BMW and its expensive. I'm not bothered, as the lease company will pick up the bill, but is this right - surely BMW haven't made the steering set up that complicated that only they can tweak it!
Le Mans Blue/18" Alloys/Bi Xenons/Climate Screen/Black, Heated Dakota Leather/6 CD Changer with Dension 500/Power Mirrors/M3 Lip Spoiler/Gloss Black Grills/Through Load, Storage pack, Lumbar Support, Smokers Deletion
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
medrep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Carbon Black

Yes they are correct. The same thing happened to me, and I destroyed x2 162 wheels and tyres in the process!!

BMW use a special laser guided system, which kwikfit do not have.

I asked kwikfit to try their best until BMW could do it, as mine was way out. Kwikfit told me they had it almost spot on, how wrong they were........

As soon as I left, the steering was worse. I had to hold the wheel at a 2'oclock position from dead centre just to drive in a straight line

I think BMW charge around £230 to track the car. My total bill for hitting a hidden rock in a narrow country lane came to almost £1600
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
NAZ
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e92

Garage List
2008 M3 E92  [0.00]
hi,
if there is no visible damage to the rim, or the vehicle then BMW will do it under warranty. There are 2 other factors, 1. the car has not done more than 10K miles & is not older than 12 months. Speak to your local dealer see what they say....
Appreciate 0