BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Is an aftermarket exhaust worth it? If so is AA EL mid + remus best option?

03-12-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 comp, LBB

Is an aftermarket exhaust worth it? If so is AA EL mid + remus best option?

Hey guys, I have a 21 M2 comp manual. I've been debating a lot about whehter to get an exhaust and if it's worth the cost. I realize this car will never sound as a good as a v8, but any improvement will be good. I have two questions really.

1) Is it worth it to swap out an exhaust at all or keep the OEM and spend money elsewhere (like suspension)? The exhaust plus installation cost will be $3000-5000 USD depending on which one I get, so it's a good chunk of change. Am I literally just paying nearly $5000 for a slightly better sound?

2) What's best option?

Things I want in an exhaust:
-Deep muscle car like sound, and no drone
-No annoying loud farting type sound
-exhaust shouldn't be obnoxious sounding to the point where it annoys others, no gun shot like sounds
-maintain OEM valve control

Mike from X-ph recommended the AA res midpipe + Remus race. Some people on the forum said this has drone at 3k rpm though. This is gonna be near 5k including install so I would prefer it to not have drone. Other options are militek or dinan full exhaust.

Last edited by photorph; 03-12-2021 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 09:22 PM   #2
M2 CCO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by photorph View Post
Hey guys, I have a 21 M2 comp manual. I've been debating a lot about whehter to get an exhaust and if it's worth the cost. I realize this car will never sound as a good as a v8, but any improvement will be good. I have two questions really.

1) Is it worth it to swap out an exhaust at all or keep the OEM and spend money elsewhere (like suspension)? The exhaust plus installation cost will be $3000-5000 USD depending on which one I get, so it's a good chunk of change.

2) What's best option?

Things I want in an exhaust:
-Deep muscle car like sound, and no drone
-No annoying loud farting type sound
-exhaust shouldn't be obnoxious sounding to the point where it annoys others, no gun shot like sounds
-maintain OEM valve control

Mike from X-ph recommended the AA midpipe + Remus race. Some people on the forum said this has drone at 3k rpm though. This is gonna be near 5k including install so I would prefer it to not have drone. Other options are militek or dinan full exhaust.
I have the AA single midpipe and the Remus race and I love it. It's a deeper throatier sound to me than the EL version midpipe. It does have a little drone in 2nd and 3rd up to 3-3500rpm but it comes and goes so fast that it isn't bothersome to me at all. I'm not cruising in 2nd or 3rd.... This exhaust set up and the MP suspension are my favorite mods thus far. The only problem I've had is trying to find a place to stick the monstrosity of a stock exhaust... haha!
Appreciate 1
Kleinacus671.00
      03-12-2021, 10:02 PM   #3
n8dgr84
572whp Stock Turbos/DP E60 Tune by Tier1Tuning
Rep
Drives: M2C - 6MT - Flex Fuel

Based on the feedback on this forum and your criteria, I would go with AA EL resonated mid to start.

If that's not enough volume, add the Remus Sport.

If you care less about tone and want a deeper sound, go with the AA single mid.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:51 PM   #4
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
I'm glad with the route I took which is to get only the EL mid and not replace the back box. That leaves me time to enjoy this sound, but keeps the door open to getting a back box or something down the road if I ever get tired of this (can't imagine!)

It's also much cheaper. The EL is like 1.3k which is so much cheaper than the 4-5k you're debating. Back boxes are just a lot more money and I'm not convinced it's worth it! I'm sure this summer / post-covid I'll get a chance to meet other M2s in the area and potentially hear other pairings against the EL mid. That'll be interesting and might be the point where I get convinced.

EL mid does indeed drone at a little over 3k — but I don't mind it as I'm usually under 3k when going constant speed — and if I'm actually gunning it then you're not gonna be stuck hearing the drone. So it's a non issue imo.
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7446.00
      03-13-2021, 01:10 AM   #5
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 CCO View Post
I have the AA single midpipe and the Remus race and I love it. It's a deeper throatier sound to me than the EL version midpipe. It does have a little drone in 2nd and 3rd up to 3-3500rpm but it comes and goes so fast that it isn't bothersome to me at all. I'm not cruising in 2nd or 3rd.... This exhaust set up and the MP suspension are my favorite mods thus far. The only problem I've had is trying to find a place to stick the monstrosity of a stock exhaust... haha!
Why not just toss the stock exhaust? Is there really a purpose for it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 03:17 AM   #6
kyubiii
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m2c

I reasoned getting an exhaust due to the several positives it offers.

Improved sound
Improved aesthetics
Weight reduction
Slight power increase
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 04:18 AM   #7
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubiii View Post
I reasoned getting an exhaust due to the several positives it offers.

Improved sound
Improved aesthetics
Weight reduction
Slight power increase
So from what I'm hearing the power increase thing is just exaggerated, real world there isn't any. Weight reduction is there, not sure if it changes anything. 99% of us won't even notice that. Agree on the first two for sure, but debatable on if that's worth the hassle and 4-5k vs putting that 4-5 in other mods.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 04:57 AM   #8
spree
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
I'm glad with the route I took which is to get only the EL mid and not replace the back box. That leaves me time to enjoy this sound, but keeps the door open to getting a back box or something down the road if I ever get tired of this (can't imagine!)

It's also much cheaper. The EL is like 1.3k which is so much cheaper than the 4-5k you're debating. Back boxes are just a lot more money and I'm not convinced it's worth it! I'm sure this summer / post-covid I'll get a chance to meet other M2s in the area and potentially hear other pairings against the EL mid. That'll be interesting and might be the point where I get convinced.

EL mid does indeed drone at a little over 3k — but I don't mind it as I'm usually under 3k when going constant speed — and if I'm actually gunning it then you're not gonna be stuck hearing the drone. So it's a non issue imo.
Do you have the non resonated EL?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 07:43 AM   #9
kyubiii
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
So from what I'm hearing the power increase thing is just exaggerated, real world there isn't any. Weight reduction is there, not sure if it changes anything. 99% of us won't even notice that. Agree on the first two for sure, but debatable on if that's worth the hassle and 4-5k vs putting that 4-5 in other mods.
For me, it needed to be done because looking at the stock muffler was driving me crazy. So I tried to think of (and give the wife) every reason to spend that much on an exhaust. And while power increase is basically negligible, it still made it onto my list as a check in the pros department. The weight savings seems much more noticeable when you are physically handling the exhausts back to back but not so much while driving. It does feel good to know you shed that extra weight though.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 08:03 AM   #10
tbaig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Anyone running this setup with catless downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #11
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post

Do you have the non resonated EL?
Yep. I made a thread with a video if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 05:13 PM   #12
TheBirdieGang
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Atlantis Blue MK7 GolfR

i’m really torn right now , i don’t know if i should get this combo deal from x-ph for 4k with what it looks like to be the Remus Sport axel back not Race or just get the AA equal length mid-pipe by itself & throw some BMS matte black tips on stock muffler / call it a day. $2,300 difference between the 2 different set-ups

*** Note 4k is price paired with 98mm Black Chrome racing tips,it’s $4,500 if you want the 102mm Carbon tips
Attached Images

Last edited by TheBirdieGang; 03-13-2021 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 07:05 PM   #13
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBirdieGang View Post
i’m really torn right now , i don’t know if i should get this combo deal from x-ph for 4k with what it looks like to be the Remus Sport axel back not Race or just get the AA equal length mid-pipe by itself & throw some BMS matte black tips / call it a day. $2,300 difference between the 2 different set-ups

*** Note 4k is price paired with 98mm Black Chrome racing tips,it’s $4,500 if you want the 102mm Carbon tips
Oof, such a good deal. Need the rest of the year to save back what I spent during the holidays though.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 10:02 PM   #14
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i’m really torn right now , i don’t know if i should get this combo deal from x-ph for 4k with what it looks like to be the Remus Sport axel back not Race or just get the AA equal length mid-pipe by itself & throw some BMS matte black tips on stock muffler / call it a day. $2,300 difference between the 2 different set-ups

exact same position as you, but i want the 102 mm carbon tips. So it's a $2700 difference. I wish I could hear them both in person to see if it's worth the $2700 price difference. One thing about getting the remus is the improved aesthetics over stock. The hanging muffler looks out of place. Also note that in the combo deal it's the RACE remus, not the sport even though sport is pictured.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 10:19 PM   #15
TheBirdieGang
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Atlantis Blue MK7 GolfR

Quote:
exact same position as you, but i want the 102 mm carbon tips. So it's a $2700 difference. I wish I could hear them both in person to see if it's worth the $2700 price difference. One thing about getting the remus is the improved aesthetics over stock. The hanging muffler looks out of place. Also note that in the combo deal it's the RACE remus, not the sport even though sport is pictured.
are you sure it’s the race exhaust with combo deal ? have you inquired about it ? that’s only reason i was hesitant. i think i’m going to pull trigger now, your right stock box is an eye soar & should be able to get around 2k back on resale in 2 or 3 years from now..

& you talked to mike , he said get resonated mid pipe with this combo ?

Last edited by TheBirdieGang; 03-13-2021 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:13 AM   #16
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
are you sure it’s the race exhaust with combo deal ? have you inquired about it ? that’s only reason i was hesitant. i think i’m going to pull trigger now, your right stock box is an eye soar & should be able to get around 2k back on resale in 2 or 3 years from now..

yep, I spoke with Mike. He said get resonated because on an M2 many ppl were complaining that the non res with remus race is ridiculously loud...there is such a thing as TOO loud. In his opinion the resonated with remus race is the loudest you should go. The rec to get the non res with stock downpipes is more for m3/m4.

I am going to pull the trigger, I hope the 4500 is worth it
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #17
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

I'm interested in that exact combo and there seems to be no videos for the Active Autowerke resonated, equal length mid pipe with Remus Race combo. Please post a clip once installed!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #18
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:

It is race but you can order the sport for about $100 more. I ordered the sport combo from Mike. At the time, the EL midpipe was a 2 week wait, and the sport axle back was 2 months. I have the EL in my garage, and I am still waiting for the Remus, but they said I should be getting it next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #19
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

I’m going AFE.
Appreciate 0