BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-27-2021, 09:20 AM   #1
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Debadging opinions w pics

I always planned on debadging the car but i really only intended to remove the "M" logo not the "X5" unfortunately its on the opposite side of the & 40i/m50i cars so it just looked bizarre without the "M". Also never loved the overdone side fender vent/grilles so I ordered the stock pair from RG Sport. If it was easy i'd probably do the front grille but i think its barely noticeable- so maybe leave that unless one without the logo fell in my lap. What do you guys think?

Before
Name:  before back.png
Views: 2353
Size:  1.21 MB

After
Name:  back after.png
Views: 1786
Size:  1.36 MB

Vents Side by Side
Name:  vent comparison.png
Views: 1604
Size:  665.4 KB

Before
Name:  before side.png
Views: 1621
Size:  1.32 MB

After
Name:  after side profile.png
Views: 1570
Size:  1.28 MB
Appreciate 2
155ND961.00
GordoCLM256.50
      03-27-2021, 09:36 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
while most folks change from xLine to M Sport pieces to ///M pieces, nothing wrong with going the other way. it's all personal style, so whatever makes you happy. I think it looks just fine.

personally, I de-badged my M Sport 45e and stayed true to the variant by adding an M Performance flow-through spoiler versus an X5M spoiler retrofit or any other badging to suggest otherwise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Debadged FTW
Appreciate 3
Russ103308.00
Brandt51947.50
      03-27-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
azn_fcuk
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4, X6MC, AMG GT Pro

everything clean FTW
Appreciate 2
Russ103308.00
Brandt51947.50
      03-28-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

I much prefer the smooth finish at the rear, so de-badge all my cars ... and being very OCD i also like the symmetry of both sides looking the same, and the the BMW roundel sat squarely in the middle
Attached Images

JoeAyalaM186.00
      03-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #6
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155ND View Post
I much prefer the smooth finish at the rear, so de-badge all my cars ... and being very OCD i also like the symmetry of both sides looking the same, and the the BMW roundel sat squarely in the middle
As it should be. Same setup here. Love your taste. Maybe it's because I got used to how many high-end German European cars were debadged and always left you wondering when they blew by you. The logic is kinda funny to me, and I am generalizing here on my observances over the years. Those without true Ms feel the need to badge up to compensate. Ever since I got my first M, I never felt the need to flaunt it anymore. Those in the know would recognize it for what it is; those who didn't were in for an unpleasant surprise.

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-30-2021 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
Russ103308.00
      03-28-2021, 08:00 PM   #7
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

I always debadge all my cars. The X5 is especially nice looking without any of the clutter of badging on the rear hatch.
Attached Images

Russ103308.00
Bankerbry404.50
      03-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #8
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
I always debadge all my cars. The X5 is especially nice looking without any of the clutter of badging on the rear hatch.
I simply cannot argue with that logic.
Appreciate 1
Luminor5131244.50
      03-28-2021, 08:12 PM   #9
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Spankable, like a baby's bottom. But not in a pedo way....
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #10
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What wheel is that? Looks great
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 09:18 PM   #11
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis1 View Post
Quote:
What wheel is that? Looks great
Thank you, it's the factory 742M in black.
      03-29-2021, 05:37 AM   #12
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, it's the factory 742M in black.
Ah 22s that’s why
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
As it should be. Same setup here. Love your taste. Maybe it's because I got used to how many high-end German European cars were debadged and always left you wondering when they blew by you. The logic is kinda funny to me, and I am generalizing here on my observances over the years. Those without true Ms feel the need to badge up to compensate. Ever since they have I got my first M, I never felt the need to flaunt it anymore. Those in the know would recognize it for what it is; those who didn't were in for an unpleasant surprise.
I was nodding as i was reading!

Yes ... lots of fast German cars are de-badged, partly for aesthetics, partly to "hide" the value

There is also a kind of "inverted snobbery" with badges ... the more you have (in this case, a real "M" BMW), the less the need to show people what you have ... whereas there are plenty of 320s with "m" badging! those "in the know" will see the quad exhaust from the rear, and the drilled brake discs on the side view, and the huge air intakes from the front, (MAY even spot that the MBB colour looks like an "M" colour) ... and see this car is not a regular X5 ... personally i prefer a more subtle look, so no need for badges

for me, i just prefer sleek panels and car design, rather than lots of slats / swooshes / grills / badges (though just enough to be interesting!). i tend to take off unnecessary bits of trim / rubber etc that some car firms like (i understand they are to protect the car from car park dings etc, but they look ugly and detract from the smooth lines of a well-designed car), and take off badges that can be taken off (e.g. those small "M" badges on my first X5 G05, just above the side grill!)

i like the ferrari design re. badges i.e. there are none, other than the prancing horse itself (personally i would also remove the "ferrarri" word as a badge"! ...
Attached Images

03-29-2021, 10:21 PM   #14
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Stunt. On. These. N*ggas. (I'm black. I can say it). I mean, I'm not disparaging anyone from de-badging, if you like it, I love it. But isn't part of the reason for buying an M-Car so people know you have an M-Car? Particularly for those of us (and I know I'm not completely alone here) like me who, at times, need outside societal validation of their current status in life via the car they drive. Nothing against someone driving something they de-badged. Nothing against someone with a base X5 35i (my last two were). Just personal preference to keep it. It's not like Porsche where there are countless ways to let people know you're driving a 911 4S Carrara Turbo Whatever the Fuck by providing the world Proof Of Rich Spoiled Children Having Everything (see what I did there?). Basically you're adding an M and maybe the words Competition. Everyone knows you're driving an F95 especially those of us who have driven (or are driving) a G05 simply by how it sounds. So, IMHO, no need to de-badge. Although it does appeal to the OCD in me....

Last edited by pookiemalibu; 03-29-2021 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 4
GlennC321.00
xmanpro3199.50
Brandt51947.50
R///MG104.50
      03-29-2021, 11:12 PM   #15
MrItaly
Major
Rep

For me, and just me, debadged looks cleaner on my car IMHO. For everyone around me that sees it, I only care, and even then marginally, about the opinion of those who recognize it without the badges telling them what it is. I feel zero need to badge up or blatently advertise what it is. Not to mention, my fronts are as tinted as my rears. When driving around, no one can see who or what is driving my car. No idea of race, age, nor gender. (RIS mechanic couldn't believe later that the old white haired guy he saw at check in was the owner of this modded F95). You'd normally have to catch me in a parking lot to figure that out. I just appreciate the vehicle for what it is.

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-30-2021 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:34 PM   #16
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
I was nodding as i was reading!

Yes ... lots of fast German cars are de-badged, partly for aesthetics, partly to "hide" the value

There is also a kind of "inverted snobbery" with badges ... the more you have (in this case, a real "M" BMW), the less the need to show people what you have ... whereas there are plenty of 320s with "m" badging! those "in the know" will see the quad exhaust from the rear, and the drilled brake discs on the side view, and the huge air intakes from the front, (MAY even spot that the MBB colour looks like an "M" colour) ... and see this car is not a regular X5 ... personally i prefer a more subtle look, so no need for badges

for me, i just prefer sleek panels and car design, rather than lots of slats / swooshes / grills / badges (though just enough to be interesting!). i tend to take off unnecessary bits of trim / rubber etc that some car firms like (i understand they are to protect the car from car park dings etc, but they look ugly and detract from the smooth lines of a well-designed car), and take off badges that can be taken off (e.g. those small "M" badges on my first X5 G05, just above the side grill!)

i like the ferrari design re. badges i.e. there are none, other than the prancing horse itself (personally i would also remove the "ferrarri" word as a badge"! ...
So true. I can't recall how many times I've seen a 320i with non quad exhaust and a slightly crooked M badge on the rear, to which I just shake my head and sigh.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:00 AM   #17
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For me, and just me, debadged looks cleaner on my car IMHO. For everyone around me that sees it, I only care, and even then marginally, about the opinion of those who recognize it without the badges telling them what it is. I feel zero need to badge up or blatently advertise what it is. Not to mention, my fronts are as tinted as my rears. When driving around, no one can see who or what is driving my car. No idea of race, age, nor gender.) RIS mechanic couldn't believe later that the old white haired guy he saw at check in was the owner of this modded F95). You'd normally have to catch me in a parking lot to figure that out. I just appreciate the vehicle for what it is.
Methinks this is a very valid POV. Not how it is where you live, but I'm literally the only person in probably 250-300 miles with an F95 so even with tints, the personalized license plate, red seats, baby seat and Star Wars Rebel Alliance (Red Five) magnet on the back all identify me and my car pretty easily. There just aren't too many MWM/Sakhir M-Cars in this part of the state. Not many M-Cars period really. Now go to SoFla and it's a whole different ball game. Kids get M4s for their Sweet 16s. But North of Orlando you're lucky if your dealer has even 1 M-Car on the lot.

I think we may be at different stages in life, so it's good to get the opinion of someone of a different age group/ilk.

I love the car for what it is and (I assume) the average X5 owner probably doesn't have much of a clue that my F95 is like Shooter McGavin: it eats pieces of shit like them for breakfast (no I don't eat pieces of shit for breakfast). I wonder though, does the guy w/ the regular X5 know about the F95, I'd love to hear some thoughts on that. I know I did, but I wonder if others are as into the bimmer culture as we are...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:16 PM   #18
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiemalibu View Post
Methinks this is a very valid POV. Not how it is where you live, but I'm literally the only person in probably 250-300 miles with an F95 so even with tints, the personalized license plate, red seats, baby seat and Star Wars Rebel Alliance (Red Five) magnet on the back all identify me and my car pretty easily. There just aren't too many MWM/Sakhir M-Cars in this part of the state. Not many M-Cars period really. Now go to SoFla and it's a whole different ball game. Kids get M4s for their Sweet 16s. But North of Orlando you're lucky if your dealer has even 1 M-Car on the lot.

I think we may be at different stages in life, so it's good to get the opinion of someone of a different age group/ilk.

I love the car for what it is and (I assume) the average X5 owner probably doesn't have much of a clue that my F95 is like Shooter McGavin: it eats pieces of shit like them for breakfast (no I don't eat pieces of shit for breakfast). I wonder though, does the guy w/ the regular X5 know about the F95, I'd love to hear some thoughts on that. I know I did, but I wonder if others are as into the bimmer culture as we are...
Shooter McGavin... I did literally . You had to go there. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #19
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83, X5 m50i

Quote:
Quote:
For me, and just me, debadged looks cleaner on my car IMHO. For everyone around me that sees it, I only care, and even then marginally, about the opinion of those who recognize it without the badges telling them what it is. I feel zero need to badge up or blatently advertise what it is. Not to mention, my fronts are as tinted as my rears. When driving around, no one can see who or what is driving my car. No idea of race, age, nor gender.) RIS mechanic couldn't believe later that the old white haired guy he saw at check in was the owner of this modded F95). You'd normally have to catch me in a parking lot to figure that out. I just appreciate the vehicle for what it is.

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?? 😂😂😂 So good.

I've debadged most of my cars, but actually think the X5 looks too bare for my taste without the emblems. Maybe it's because it's my first SUV and my mind thinks the huge trunk has too much real estate. Hope you gotta big trunk because I'm putting my bike in it! I'm also in the camp that I got an m50i, and want to show that it's an m50i (or M if I was lucky enough to have the full M). Even though most of us in this forum could tell a 40i from an m50i etc regardless of emblems, I would think the layman's person typically could not. To each their own though, think the car is stunning either way!
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2021, 09:58 PM   #20
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanbimmer3 View Post
You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?? 😂😂😂 So good.

I've debadged most of my cars, but actually think the X5 looks too bare for my taste without the emblems. Maybe it's because it's my first SUV and my mind thinks the huge trunk has too much real estate. Hope you gotta big trunk because I'm putting my bike in it! I'm also in the camp that I got an m50i, and want to show that it's an m50i (or M if I was lucky enough to have the full M). Even though most of us in this forum could tell a 40i from an m50i etc regardless of emblems, I would think the layman's person typically could not. To each their own though, think the car is stunning either way!
Dual M50i trapazoidial to M quad round exhaust? 'nuff said. It's obvious as you stated. Do you really care about anyone else's opinion? What I mean is, with all the M badges out there, and I had some on X3M40i, if a lay person needs to see a predominant M badge on my car to to recognize it for what it is, that doesn't trump my own preference for a clean debadged look. I fully recognize this is an individual choice. When I purchased my first new BMW waaaay back in '98, it was a 318ti. Remember those hatchbacks? I paid extra for the M Sport package which include some spiffy M badges on the car, even if it was anything but a true M car. I thought it was the bomb, and maybe those M badges did earn me a bit of street cred amongst the uninformed. That was over 20 years ago. I gives less than two damns about that now. I just want a clean looking car that performs.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:39 PM   #21
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I fully recognize this is an individual choice. When I purchased my first new BMW waaaay back in '98, it was a 318ti. Remember those hatchbacks? I paid extra for the M Sport package which include some spiffy M badges on the car, even if it was anything but a true M car. I thought it was the bomb, and maybe those M badges did earn me a bit of street cred amongst the uninformed. That was over 20 years ago. I gives less than two damns about that now. I just want a clean looking car that performs.
And I guess that's the difference. 37 year old black kid and a (probably older) white (haired) guy. Just differences in stations in life.

EDIT: part of that was for another post.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 11:29 PM   #22
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
And I guess that's the difference. 37 year old black kid and a (probably older) white (haired) guy. Just differences in stations in life.

EDIT: part of that was for another post.
Guilty as charged. Older, fatter, (still mostly white but have a few darker spots I might need to share with the dermatologist), and less focused on what others think and more concerned about what I want. Life is an evolution; I wouldn't want to turn back the clock, but I certainly recognize the differing factors that influenced my thought process years ago. For the record, I'm still under 50! Not that qualifies me as being young anymore-unless you ask my service manager who is rightfully so convinced I'm a kid at heart with this modded BMW.

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-30-2021 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0