BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-03-2021, 09:26 AM   #1
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Lane Change With Active Guidance

Is the lane change with active guidance available in US?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 09:31 AM   #2
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
Is the lane change with active guidance available in US?
Mine works. 2 week old 4.0i with DAP.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy311 View Post
Mine works. 2 week old 4.0i with DAP.
Last I heard it was not available, at least automatic changes, in the US but could have missed it. Are you sure you aren't referring to the Lane Change Assistant? What version of iDrive are you running?

As an aside, it is a 40i no period.
Auricom4364.50
50M105.00
      04-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Last I heard it was not available, at least automatic changes, in the US but could have missed it.
+1

That is also my understanding. There's lane information in HUD with an active destination, lane control assistant with side collision warning and automatic lane change assistant but not automatic lane guidance with highway exit assistance that's currently available in EU markets.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #5
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Last I heard it was not available, at least automatic changes, in the US but could have missed it.
+1

That is also my understanding. There's lane information in HUD with an active destination, lane control assistant with side collision warning and automatic lane change assistant but not automatic lane guidance with highway exit assistance that's currently available in EU markets.
Not exactly sure what all these things mean, when I push my blinker to the point of resistance, the car takes over and moves over to the other lane fully automatically. This is, when driving active cruise control assisted driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
+1

Not exactly sure what all these things mean, when I push my blinker to the point of resistance, the car takes over and moves over to the other lane fully automatically. This is, when driving active cruise control assisted driving.
No that's just driver initiated, automatic lane change assistant.

What's described is, for international markets, Active Navigation Guidance system will indicate lane changes that are necessary in order to continue driving along the selected route when destination guidance is active. The driver can then carry out this operation conveniently with the aid of the lane change assistant.

This is lane change assistance working in coordination with navigation guidance.

See attached image - note "Trigger lane change to follow route"

Emergency Lane Assistant is another new function: this automatically guides the vehicle to the ideal edge of its lane in congested situations on motorways.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 04:34 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
In some markets, the vehicle will detect the opening, and move over to get ready to exit all on its own. In the US, the vehicle won't do an automatic lane change on its own, but will do one if you put on your directionals.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 04:46 PM   #8
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Quote:
In some markets, the vehicle will detect the opening, and move over to get ready to exit all on its own. In the US, the vehicle won't do an automatic lane change on its own, but will do one if you put on your directionals.
I'm not sure this is the case.

I have had it coded in the U.K. for nearly 12 months and it won't change lanes on its own. It prompts to change lanes when appropriate but the driver has to use the lane change assistant to move lanes.

It's actually a poor system In it's current iteration. it thinks like a risk averse computer so tries to move lanes around a mile before the exit and will decelerate, even in the fast lane, to adjust to the speed of a gap it's found. A human would accelerate to a gap ahead without worrying as we can see many cars ahead but the car just wants to get off at the exit no matter what.

I can see where they are going with it for future autonomy but currently it's just a PITA and the opposite of helpful.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      04-04-2021, 06:28 AM   #9
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Thanks to all for clarifying.
Appreciate 0