BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2021, 09:57 AM   #1
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 covertible

21 X3MC Lease - Exhaust Options

Hello All,

I am a new, proud leaser of a '21 X3MC and am looking for viable options in increasing the exhaust sound, while preserving the warranty under my lease agreement.

I've done some research and am leaning towards the Dinan Exhaust, however there is cutting involved and I am concerned about not being able to return the car back to its stock exhaust at the end of the lease.

BMW Manhattan used to be a certified dealer for Dinan Exhaust, and from researching the threads here, they were fine with installing it and keeping it within the warranty parameters.

Are there any other options that may work for me, that do not require cutting or that do not set off CEL Lights - that sounds a bit more aggressive?

Thanks,

Jorge
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
LimeRock
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

I don’t foresee any issues with a properly installed BMW clamp upon return. Very quick / easy to install the stock rear section back when you return the car.

Also realized I didn’t read the full post...you’ll just want to work from the midpipe back to avoid a CEL. Personally I went with an Eisenmann midpipe and I’m 90% happy with it. My only gripe relates to the flap behavior messing with sound in the midrange.

Also, congrats on the new X3M!!

Last edited by LimeRock; 04-05-2021 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRock View Post
I don’t foresee any issues with a properly installed BMW clamp upon return. Very quick / easy to install the stock rear section back when you return the car.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
LimeRock
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abitrandom View Post
Quote:

Thank you
Here's the link to a midpipe thread I created. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27254497

Dinan has been on back order for months, date keeps getting pushed. Not their fault, tough supply chain with covid.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #5
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't foresee any issues with a properly installed BMW clamp upon return. Very quick / easy to install the stock rear section back when you return the car.

Thank you
Here's the link to a midpipe thread I created. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27254497

Dinan has been on back order for months, date keeps getting pushed. Not their fault, tough supply chain with covid.
Thank you for the link.

This sounds great! Do you have the competition exhaust or regular X3M?

Pardon my ignorance, but does installing a midpipe require cutting? If so, can I put it back to stock by "clamping"? Since I'm leasing.

Any cel lights or emission issues? - I live in NY
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Easily clamp the OEM exhaust back on. Even if the dealer puts the car on a lift (they won't) they wouldn't notice.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #7
LimeRock
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the link.

This sounds great! Do you have the competition exhaust or regular X3M?

Pardon my ignorance, but does installing a midpipe require cutting? If so, can I put it back to stock by "clamping"? Since I'm leasing.

Any cel lights or emission issues? - I live in NY
Competition exhaust, although I think the hardware is fairly similar between the two. Emissions rule vary by state, but it will likely fail emissions with the removal of the secondary cat (which most full aftermarket exhausts remove). In Illinois, it’s after 3 years for a new car, at which point I will revert to stock and no longer own this vehicle.

No CEL with this setup as midpipe and back is after the O2 sensor. Agree with allinon72 on the back to stock clamping, shouldn’t be an issue at all.

Last edited by LimeRock; 04-05-2021 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 08:51 PM   #8
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Hello All,

I am a new, proud leaser of a '21 X3MC and am looking for viable options in increasing the exhaust sound, while preserving the warranty under my lease agreement.

I've done some research and am leaning towards the Dinan Exhaust, however there is cutting involved and I am concerned about not being able to return the car back to its stock exhaust at the end of the lease.

BMW Manhattan used to be a certified dealer for Dinan Exhaust, and from researching the threads here, they were fine with installing it and keeping it within the warranty parameters.

Are there any other options that may work for me, that do not require cutting or that do not set off CEL Lights - that sounds a bit more aggressive?

Thanks,

Jorge
As others have said, you could just clamp the OEM one back on with no issues. If you truly don't want any cutting and straight bolt on, get a cat back exhaust and remove the gigantic exhaust and all its piping in one bolt off piece. Remus, Akrapovic, and I think Eisenmann have full cat bat options.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 08:59 PM   #9
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckydks View Post
As others have said, you could just clamp the OEM one back on with no issues. If you truly don't want any cutting and straight bolt on, get a cat back exhaust and remove the gigantic exhaust and all its piping in one bolt off piece. Remus, Akrapovic, and I think Eisenmann have full cat bat options.
Is one of the pipes flared to allow that? Or is there some type of over-pipe or something that you would put 2 clamps on - one on the engine side and one on the OEM exhaust side?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #10
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
Is one of the pipes flared to allow that? Or is there some type of over-pipe or something that you would put 2 clamps on - one on the engine side and one on the OEM exhaust side?
After the cat, there is a flange with bolts. So you would remove from there. The aftermarket piping would have a flange to bolt the mid pipes to the cat, then a clamp to the axle back exhaust.

If you're talking about after you cut, you would just use a clamp to connect the two pieces. There is already a factory cut point in case you ever needed to replace the exhaust in the first place. If you look on realoem dot com, it will show you the exhaust setup in pieces with the clamps.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #11
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
After the cat, there is a flange with bolts. So you would remove from there. The aftermarket piping would have a flange to bolt the mid pipes to the cat, then a clamp to the axle back exhaust.

If you're talking about after you cut, you would just use a clamp to connect the two pieces. There is already a factory cut point in case you ever needed to replace the exhaust in the first place. If you look on realoem dot com, it will show you the exhaust setup in pieces with the clamps.
Felt nice and looked it up for you...part 8
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=18_1616
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #12
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't the Eisenmann mid pipe have to be welded though?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 09:43 PM   #13
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What makes you think that?

https://ind-distribution.com/product...rmance-exhaust

https://ind-distribution.com/product...-non-resonated

Look at the link for the pipes. One end is flange, one end is open. Then look at the link for the exhaust. It has clamps.

Same for Remus and 99.99% sure same with Akrapovic.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2021, 09:43 PM   #14
LimeRock
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nope!

Warning though, the full cat back eisenmann setup is a track only affair — insane volume with no flaps

Appreciate 1
      04-05-2021, 09:57 PM   #15
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Look at the link for the pipes. One end is flange, one end is open. Then look at the link for the exhaust. It has clamps.

I reached out to my mechanic and told him I wanted just the Eisenmann mid pipe installed with my stock exhaust - he mentioned it needs to be welded.. and it can't go back to the dealer like that.

So you're saying I can just install the mid pipe alone with no welding?

I'm seeing the diagrams of what you sent and it's all a foreign language to me lol.. sorry

I appreciate your input though, and everyone else's on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #16
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I reached out to my mechanic and told him I wanted just the Eisenmann mid pipe installed with my stock exhaust - he mentioned it needs to be welded.. and it can't go back to the dealer like that.

So you're saying I can just install the mid pipe alone with no welding?

I'm seeing the diagrams of what you sent and it's all a foreign language to me lol.. sorry

I appreciate your input though, and everyone else's on this thread.
Then you either need a new mechanic, or just give up and stick with stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #17
GreatAvalon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3MC

Quote:
Felt nice and looked it up for you...part 8
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=18_1616
Such a nice guy, thanks

That's my answer...so you cut the OEM and when you want to go back to stock you buy 2 of the part 8's for $60 or so. Nice...so it is possible to revert back to stock for lease turn in...
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2021, 02:16 PM   #18
skioutwest
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC, 2017 M3ZCP, 2014 M5

I have installed mid pipes on my last three cars and used the clamps when returning the lease. Never an issue. In fact, I purchased knock offs clamps on Amazon and they were just as nice as the BMW clamps for a third the price.

I did not do my X4M yet though....

-Mark
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2021, 01:16 AM   #19
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Wondering if I removed my secondary cats & then put them back in at the end of the lease return, if that would void any BMW warranty...
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #20
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Wondering if I removed my secondary cats & then put them back in at the end of the lease return, if that would void any BMW warranty...
If you cut and weld at a point where it is not supposed to be, it may get you in trouble.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 02:50 AM   #21
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
If you cut and weld at a point where it is not supposed to be, it may get you in trouble.
I was afraid you might say that.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13045.50
      04-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #22
arosey9
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Quote:

I am new here so please bare with me... so can I just take off the stock exhaust and put a new one on? As in bolt off oem and bolt on after matter as. See picture for reference.

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0