BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

10-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP| MW / SO

Black spots from rail transport?...solution?

...so I picked up my 08 E90 M3 and when I took it to get the clear bra, they mentioned my car was full of small black spots. They told me they have seen these in many cars before and they believe it comes from the train rail/brake dust when they originally come from the port to the dealer?
Anyhow, I took it to my dealer and they will send it to be buffed out and polished. On the meantime, the guys at the clear bra place suggested Meguiar's clay bar....I tried to find it at Target and saw Turtle's LIQUID CLAY?
Any one has tried this?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
BMWguy206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 400E

Quote:
Originally Posted by itofigari View Post
...so I picked up my 08 E90 M3 and when I took it to get the clear bra, they mentioned my car was full of small black spots. They told me they have seen these in many cars before and they believe it comes from the train rail/brake dust when they originally come from the port to the dealer?
Anyhow, I took it to my dealer and they will send it to be buffed out and polished. On the meantime, the guys at the clear bra place suggested Meguiar's clay bar....I tried to find it at Target and saw Turtle's LIQUID CLAY?
Any one has tried this?
I don't recommend Turtle's Liquid Clay but there are mixed reviews about it all over the net. I recommend sticking to a real clay bar. Not just some abrasive liquid.

If you need to get something OTC then get the Meguiar's Clay Bar and use the Meguiar's Quick Detailer Spray as clay lube. AutoZone or Pepboys should carry this.

You know, I have some brown spots on some areas on my white M3. I thought it was tape residue but turns out it's something that's embedded with the clear coat similar to what you have. Going to clay it and see if it goes away. If not, going to bust out the swirl remover.
      10-28-2008, 12:49 AM   #3
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP| MW / SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWguy206 View Post
I don't recommend Turtle's Liquid Clay but there are mixed reviews about it all over the net. I recommend sticking to a real clay bar. Not just some abrasive liquid.

If you need to get something OTC then get the Meguiar's Clay Bar and use the Meguiar's Quick Detailer Spray as clay lube. AutoZone or Pepboys should carry this.

You know, I have some brown spots on some areas on my white M3. I thought it was tape residue but turns out it's something that's embedded with the clear coat similar to what you have. Going to clay it and see if it goes away. If not, going to bust out the swirl remover.
Thanks for the feedback man. I will get Meguiars tomorrow...better safe than sorry right? I was skeptical about the ICE Liquid Clay...I just don't see how a liquid can have more abrasive power than real clay. As for the spots, I had a chance to try and get some out from my car while it was being worked on with the clear bra. Some spots will turn from black to brown (as tar or something) and then disappear little by little and some need you to rub them with the tip of your nail or something...20 minutes later I was going nuts and started seeing things that were not there! haha.
Anyhow, I will keep trying I guess....the car is COVERED with these tiny spots which are not VERY noticeable , but just the fact that I know they are there....you know, I am just the usual and common OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE CLEAN CAR FREAK...
Thanks again for the help...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
GeauxChadE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Black/Terra 325i Sport

liquid clay sucks a$$, get the real deal
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Liquid clay sounds like a gimmick that doesn't work.

Get the real thing, you can find a Meguiar's clay bar kit at any Autozone, pepboys, o'reilly's. Any store like those should have it.

Also, I'm not sure you want them to polish and buff your brand new car. Sounds like a bad way to get early swirl marks to me. Especially if you have small brake dust fragments stuck in your paint, claybar is the only way to go.
      10-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Z06_7.0l
Rep
Drives: slow truck

When i clear bra'ed LTuds brand new M3(never driven on the road) i noticed 3 black spots like you are describing. Two were on the roof and one was on the driver’s side rear quarter panel up high. I used a Zaino clay bar with some Z6 detailer spray as lube and it took them right out.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Chicagobob
Car-Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi, 02 M3, 99 911 C4

Valu-Gard ABC decontamination system. If you were in Chicago I could of done it for you!
Appreciate 0