BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos How would you cut cost in F1?

10-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
How would you cut cost in F1?

I'm sure anyone that follows F1 has read all about the proposals on controling the skyrocketing cost of running a Formula 1 team for a season.

The biggest issue is standardized engines - with Ferrari announcing today that there's no reason in racing F1 if standardized engines are introduced. Toyota has said the same already, and it's generally accepted that BMW, Mercedes, Honda, and Renault are of the same mindset. As for who of them would actually have the follow-through to pull out of F1... I put my money on Ferrari, BMW, Toyota, and Renault.

The whole idea of F1 is that it's the pinnicle of motorsports. Unlimited funding fueling unrestricted ideas and technology. Change that, and you have Indy car. At the same time cost are absurd, with Toyota spending between $500-700M each season (depending on which report you read).

How do you think they should save money?

My thoughts:
• Cap team budgets.
Allow each team to spend a set amount (maybe $300M) as they see fit. It's up to them to determine in what areas they invest their funds.

• Cap driver's salaries.

• Standardized suspension or brakes.
If you're going to standardize anything, make it something that has infinite adjustments, so teams can still tweak them for an advantage.

• Limit fly-away races.
First off; flying the cars, parts, equiptment, trailers, and team to Singapore and back isn't cheap. Second, I think F1 is losing sight of it's history. Imola, Estoril, and some other great circuits have been ditched in favor of lining Bernie's pockets with more money.
Keep races like Japan, Australia, and Malaysia. But focus on the European circuit and races within driving range.
      10-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Anything as long as it's not standardized engines or aerodynamics.

An extra race or two sounds good to me, but I'm not sure if that would drive up costs or lower them.
      10-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by news 4 u View Post
Anything as long as it's not standardized engines or aerodynamics.

An extra race or two sounds good to me, but I'm not sure if that would drive up costs or lower them.
Extra races would cost more - logistics. I think Bernie had to convince the teams to run so many more races over the last couple of years by paying more money for their transportation costs.

Aerodynamics should seriously be regulated. Cars shouldn't really have 20 appendages per corner. This will greatly allow the smaller teams to bridge the gap.

This move may not cut prices, but allow freedom in engine design like in the early nineties; just limit teams to a certain amount of fuel for the weekend.

Finally, we need rules stability for at least 5-10 years at a time.