F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > EV Gurus... Zappi Lite 7.2Kw
ARMA SPEED

05-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hi folks,

Quick one please if you have a minute. The house we've reserved, looking over the build ptions. This is one of them.

Installed Zappi Lite 7.2Kw charger £650

https://www.apielectrical.co.uk/elec...-point-brands/

Seems well regarded in reviews and what not.

Also seems much more than this aftermarket so oddly might save a bit getting now.

Seems to be about £800 and I'm not sure if most of those prices are fitted either.

Anyone use this or any comment, good value fo that, seems it?

TIA
      05-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Most EV chargers cost at least £500 fitted + the hassle of getting it done. Zappi is a good brand, and has advanced software feature for solar charging etc.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17549.00
      05-09-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Having spent a bit of time researching EV chargers for the incoming i3....this is considered one of the best.

Only thing I would say...is maybe ask the seller has a certificate for installing it. It can be quite complex and you want to ensure your electrics are all ok!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17549.00
      05-10-2021, 03:18 AM   #4
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Sorry, not quite sure I fully understand your situation; is this a new-build you're buying, and the developer is offering the fitment of this charger for £650?

Or is this a currently occupied house you're looking at getting a charger fitted?
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:01 PM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
Sorry, not quite sure I fully understand your situation; is this a new-build you're buying, and the developer is offering the fitment of this charger for £650?

Or is this a currently occupied house you're looking at getting a charger fitted?
New build
      05-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #6
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:

New build
I getting a quote for a zappi charger just now. I will let you know what they quote. Best to ask if they are including the kit for you to control it by wi fi. It has to plug in to your router.

The guy I saw today said zappi and anderston are best chargers. I'm getting a quote for both.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17549.00
      05-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Quote:
Quote:

New build
I getting a quote for a zappi charger just now. I will let you know what they quote. Best to ask if they are including the kit for you to control it by wi fi. It has to plug in to your router.

The guy I saw today said zappi and anderston are best chargers. I'm getting a quote for both.
Many thanks!
      05-10-2021, 04:16 PM   #8
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

If you can stand the Youtube adverts, this may be of interest and explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkyCtY_1enE
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:06 AM   #9
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Sounds like a decent enough quote. May as well future proof yourself, although being fitted by the Developer, I'd definitely want to be testing it out while still in the warranty period!

As others have said, Zappi or Andersen (I have an Andersen A2). It's then down to personal choice, including whether you go tethered or not etc. With an Andersen tethered is the only option, but seeing as the major downside to tethered is that you have an ugly cable hanging around, which is stowed away out of sight on the Andersen, then it's not a problem at all.

With un-tethered, you'll be constantly getting the cable out the boots etc, plus putting it away again while it's all wet and dirty after a nights rain. No thanks.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
JustChris17549.00
      05-11-2021, 08:20 AM   #10
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

This might sound like a stupid question, but do you need an EV charger? If not, then the idea of future proofing may be a fanciful one. A good friend of mine is an electrical wholesaler and he said he wouldn't buy EV now, not because of the vehicles, but the tech for charging.

His point of view was that the amount of new and ever more innovative chargers he sees listed as stock means that anything you buy now will very be out of date within 6 to 12 months. Single pods only at the moment, double pods on their way etc etc.

Like with any new tech, probably best to wait until you need it rather than paying for something that will need replacing before you use it.

If you need one, ignore the above!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17549.00
      05-11-2021, 08:44 AM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
This might sound like a stupid question, but do you need an EV charger? If not, then the idea of future proofing may be a fanciful one. A good friend of mine is an electrical wholesaler and he said he wouldn't buy EV now, not because of the vehicles, but the tech for charging.

His point of view was that the amount of new and ever more innovative chargers he sees listed as stock means that anything you buy now will very be out of date within 6 to 12 months. Single pods only at the moment, double pods on their way etc etc.

Like with any new tech, probably best to wait until you need it rather than paying for something that will need replacing before you use it.

If you need one, ignore the above!
That is what's on my mind. No need just yet and maybe 18 months out from changing the X2. I do wonder how different they might be, but as you say, waiting it out should bring some benefit.
      05-11-2021, 09:39 AM   #12
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
That is what's on my mind. No need just yet and maybe 18 months out from changing the X2. I do wonder how different they might be, but as you say, waiting it out should bring some benefit.
And if the tech doesn't change much or the above is still suitable, it should be cheaper by then anyway. There is always the added possibility of grants or incentives as we push for our carbon reduction commitment.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 11:21 AM   #13
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Be worth paying the £650 for the wiring, never mind alone the charger. Least you can swap the charger out, but might be a bit of a nightmare trying to route a cable neatly after the house is finished (Like I had to at my mate's new build for his Tesla charger).
Appreciate 1
JustChris17549.00
      05-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #14
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
A good friend of mine is an electrical wholesaler and he said he wouldn't buy EV now, not because of the vehicles, but the tech for charging.

His point of view was that the amount of new and ever more innovative chargers he sees listed as stock means that anything you buy now will very be out of date within 6 to 12 months.
With all due respect your friend doesn't know what his on about.

As someone has already said these EV chargers are nothing but fancy 32amp sockets - The same ones power your cooker/oven.

EV charger 'tech' is nothing more than wiring that connect the car to the grid. The only 'fancy' bits is software that means you can control charging times to make use of things like solar PV/etc, though most EVs can control their charging directly.

I charge my car off a 32amp commando socket 50% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 11:52 AM   #15
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Single pods only at the moment, double pods on their way etc etc.
The main constraints on dual chargers at home is the main fuse, x2 32amp chargers running is a big constant drain on the supply, getting the wiring sorted will be much harder than the charger.

Its actually fine to charge off a standard 3 pin socket at 10amps overnight, you will comfortably add 100 miles of range every night whilst you sleep. Not many people need more range than that daily.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #16
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
With all due respect your friend doesn't know what his on about.

As someone has already said these EV chargers are nothing but fancy 32amp sockets - The same ones power your cooker/oven.

EV charger 'tech' is nothing more than wiring that connect the car to the grid. The only 'fancy' bits is software that means you can control charging times to make use of things like solar PV/etc, though most EVs can control their charging directly.

I charge my car off a 32amp commando socket 50% of the time.
This.

Also worth noting what we call a 'charger' is actually just the supply (it's really called an EVSE - Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment), and its job is to connect and disconnect the high current safely. The charger doing all the hard work is the AC charger inside the car.
Appreciate 0