THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Is this going to be a problem?

05-24-2021, 01:15 AM   #1
bongko
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i F23

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Is this going to be a problem?

I was doing the ATF change and happened to see this. Not sure what is leaking as the nut was not loose. Anyone know if I have a problem coming soon?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
stevemg9
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Hmm, not sure I can offer too much help on the issue you posted, but I'll take a shot. Where exactly is that first image? Is that clamp the one that holds the catalytic converter to the turbo outlet? If so, you can get that clamp and washer pretty cheap and just replace them. When I installed my FabSpeed sport cat, I bought an new clamp and washer to replace the old one. It's not too difficult of a job - especially if you have access to a lift.

As for that last picture, it looks like some debris took a chunk out of your exhaust pipe and it's corroding around the damage - either that or just a really bad weld. Not sure where in the exhaust that pipe that is, but again replacing that section shouldn't be that difficult of a job. If you had an exhaust leak, I think you would notice an exhaust smell, unusual exhaust sound, or if you had a leak from the clamp that connects the cat to the turbo, you'd probably get a CEL from the O2 sensor.

I do have a question for you though:
How many miles are on your car? And how was the tans after changing your fluid? Any slipping or other issues?

I'm at 90k miles and I've been debating on whether or not to change the ATF on my car. I asked the BMW dealership and they said they recommended not changing the fluid as it could result in the transmission slipping and needing replacement. I went for a second opinion at an indy BMW mechanic and he said that if I change it before 100k miles, it would likely be ok, but said that if I was over 100k miles I should probably just leave it. I want the car to last a long time, but can't seem to get a firm answer on whether or not I should change the ATF...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #3
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

His picture is the downpipe to rear exhaust clamp connector. It looks like regular moisture build up has happened a bit there.

Do you commute in short trips that possibly does not allow your exhaust to completely burn off/ evaporate all the moisture?

I don't think this is really a big deal but if you want to make sure you have a good connection, just loosen up that clamp ( size 16 or 17 metric I believe) and make sure the pipes mate up properly.

Other than that maybe an expert in moisture corrision on exhaust pipes can chime in...
      05-24-2021, 06:47 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

My aftermarket DP (HJS Euro 6 DP) and OEM clamp (new at the time of DP install) has the same corrosion/build up after 2.5 years. I wouldn't worry about it.
      05-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #5
bongko
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemg9 View Post

I do have a question for you though:
How many miles are on your car? And how was the tans after changing your fluid? Any slipping or other issues?
I got my M235i F23 ~37k miles and have taken the last few months doing all of the fluid maintenance and some of the bolt ons. Its an automatic and I got the ATF kit from Europarts with the ZF fluid. I too plan on keeping the car so I did the ATF, differential, brake fluid with steel brake lines and coolant. Differential fluid I got from BMW dealer and it's pretty expensive.
Here are some pics of the pan and you can see some metal stuff on the magnet. I used a towel to see if there were any large pieces of metal but it's just very sludgey.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:04 PM   #6
bongko
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJR235 View Post
His picture is the downpipe to rear exhaust clamp connector. It looks like regular moisture build up has happened a bit there.

Do you commute in short trips that possibly does not allow your exhaust to completely burn off/ evaporate all the moisture?

I don't think this is really a big deal but if you want to make sure you have a good connection, just loosen up that clamp ( size 16 or 17 metric I believe) and make sure the pipes mate up properly.

Other than that maybe an expert in moisture corrision on exhaust pipes can chime in...
Thanks I did check the bolt but next time I will take it apart and see if things aren't matched up. I got the car used so I feel most of whats going on was probably from the prior owner, but I do short trips in the morning to take the daughter to school and work from home. I have only driven ~1000 miles in 5 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:07 PM   #7
bongko
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
My aftermarket DP (HJS Euro 6 DP) and OEM clamp (new at the time of DP install) has the same corrosion/build up after 2.5 years. I wouldn't worry about it.
I was hoping it wasn't going to be a problem. I don't plan on changing the downpipe or exhaust so that's a relief!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:36 PM   #8
bongko
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemg9 View Post

And how was the tans after changing your fluid? Any slipping or other issues?
I drove the car stock for about 500 miles and I did notice when I do launch control the 1st to 2nd gear was kinda smooth (my tires are kinda worn) but 2nd to 3rd gear there was a small lurch (around 40mph), kinda like if you were to let go of the clutch really fast in a manual car (best i can describe). It was just barely noticeable but it seemed only between 2nd and 3rd on WOT situations. I haven't done any flash tunes as I just wanted to see how the car responds.
After the fluid maintenance I feel that maybe everything overall feels slightly smoother, but nothing night and day and could be a placebo effect. I feel that overall the ZF transmission is pretty solid and smooth and I have zero regrets going automatic.
Appreciate 0