BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-31-2021, 12:42 PM   #1
madsedan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 318is S50 swap

Wife's iphone over riding radio while playing on her phone

This has happened since the first day we brought the car home. Both of our phones are sync'd with the car, hers is the primary. If I am driving and she is playing with her phone, the sat radio will click back over to her phone for a commercial in her game or video with audio add in instagram, etc. Very frustrating, have to keep hitting back over to radio, all the time lol.

The dealer recommended turning off the bluetooth on her phone when she is not driving for times like this, didn't help, still does it. The dealer then recommended we remove all phones but hers sync'd to the car, still does it.

Has anyone else experienced this or seen a fix, or work around, for this. It really sucks on road trips.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
are your phones connected via CarPlay or Bluetooth?

It also depends on the behavior you're expecting. while you're driving, do you want your phone to be the "main" connection or hers even though she's the passenger? you can prioritize the phone connections in iDrive (though I've read it's not consistent).

I'm the primary while my wife is secondary. I set my phone to prioritize connections over hers. even with both phones operating in the vehicle, her phone's audio connection has never overridden mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 03:36 PM   #3
madsedan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Wife's phone is primary, mine is usually sitting int he wireless charge bay, not sure if both are connected via carplay or bluetooth but I'll check that.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
please clarify about "primary". setting the primary driver and setting the primary phone are not the same things. Are you saying she's the primary driver as set in the MyBMW app or primary phone as in her phone is first one on the phone connection list? if the latter, that is likely the issue.

and as an aside, while you're driving, the vehicle is operating under your (secondary) driver profile?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 03:59 PM   #5
madsedan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Her phone is the primary phone on the infotainment set-up. It is her car so if I'm driving on a road trip and she is playing on the phone it cuts in with game commercials, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
if you've already disabled Bluetooth but her phone still connects to the vehicle, then it's connecting via CarPlay, which is a direct wifi connection (but still requires a bluetooth connection initially).

can try:
1) disabling her phone's wifi prior to embarking
2) changing her vehicle connection to BMW iDrive and disabling her phone's bluetooth prior to embarking

truth be told, disabling her phone's bluetooth should prevent her phone from connecting to the vehicle even if the connection mode is CarPlay. additionally, the priority order shouldn't affect this either. that's how mine behaves; it's odd hers doesn't.
Appreciate 0