F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F36 splitter/lip option
ARMA SPEED

06-06-2021, 04:18 PM   #1
Ari-msport
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d Gran Coupe

F36 splitter/lip option

Hi all

Just wanted to get some opinions. I know the following is probably down to taste as the final product, but always nice to hear others opinions.

I've gone ahead and purchased a few m sport rep stuff for the car. It's a gran coupe in Glacier Silver.

I've done a boot lip in body colour ( I felt black on the boot lid would look a little out of place), gloss black rear diffuser, gloss black grilles, and the final piece is the gloss black splitter.

I'm indecisive as to if I want to add the splitters and the lip, or just go ahead and fit the lip on its own.

I know the original m sport look is splitters with lip (usually in black or carbon), but when I offered it up the bumper, I felt it looked a little out of place and gave it an added on look, especially considering it's a glacier silver. Kind of takes away from the detail in the bumper around where the fog lights are.

I've seen them on darker coloured f36 and I guess it suits it having the splitters and lip being black.

I've attached a few pics of the progress so far and added two pics of the splitters and lip offered up, along with just the lip.
(Excuse the boxes and wood holding up the lip just for the photo)

What's your guys thoughts?
With splitters or just lip on it's own?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 04:44 AM   #2
Deep Pan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

The corner splitters add a bit of extra shape to match up with the lip, but as your rear spoiler is body colour I'm not sure them being black. I wonder what it would look like with body colour splitters with a black lip?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:11 AM   #3
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

Where did you get just the lip from?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #4
Ari-msport
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
Where did you get just the lip from?
I didn't just buy the lip.

The splitter came complete with the splitters and lip together. But are in pieces. So I could theoretically fit just the lip.

As said above, as I've done the boot lip spoiler colour coded and not really a massively modded car, I'm leaning towards not fitting the splitters and just sticking with the gloss black lip. Just wanted opinions. If it looks ok or best to have the splitters fitted too
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #5
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

FWIW - most people keep the front splitter black. It gets A LOT of chips from road debris as it's the lowest and front most of the car. In fact, a lot of us joke that it's a wear item, because it's broken from uneven driveways, debris on the roadway, parking blocks, curbs, etc.

The car looks great if you choose to paint or leave the winglet's black.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 12:11 PM   #6
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

I don’t believe you can run the 3-pc splitter without the 2 side attachment pieces. They’re critical to keeping the flat part attached securely to the car. Else what holds the front of the splitter up straight once it’s aero-loaded? - just fasteners at the rear? Not happening..

The only piecemeal use of the 3-pc splitter I’ve seen work is to only use the two side attachments alone…
Appreciate 0