forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 Towing Specs

06-10-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
johnbomb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 4.0

I see there has been a lot of confusion regarding the towing capacity of the X7, both here and on the web. Hopefully, I can clarify here. I am not an expert and the information mentioned should not be used to determine real world use. Research your particular situation and needs.

First and foremost BMW!!! Hello and hopefully you read this. BMW needs to do a better job of explaining the towing specs on all the X vehicles and adding this detail to the website, not to mention better explaining other options/technologies on all your cars. BMW's vagueness on options is pretty bad. Do better BMW marketing department!

This information comes from my 2020 X7 4.0 Owners Manual. You can download the BMW Drivers Guide App for your BMW (Enter VIN) to your phone for reference.

Below applies to the 2020 X7 4.0, 5.0 and 50M. All the same. See the attached screen shot from the manual.

In short, if you ordered your X7 with the factory hitch option you can tow 7,507lbs/606lbs tongue, if the trailer has brakes.

If you ordered your X7 WITHOUT the factory hitch option and the hitch was installed at the dealer, your max towing capacity drops to 5,952lbs/606lbs tongue, if the trailer has brakes.

No idea if you went, for example to U-Haul. I'm sure it's not 7,500lbs though.

1653lbs if the trailer has no brakes.

The factory hitch option may include an added transmission cooler and/or bigger rear brakes. Not sure. (Update: from the comments below, brakes are upgraded on some models).

In short, just order the damn $500 factory hitch on your freakin' $80,000+++ X7!!! Don't get some aftermarket set-up to save $100. You know who you are…. I digress.

Don't forget to subtract the trailer tongue weight from the X7's max vehicle load capacity (1,200lbs 4.0,5.0 - 1,190 M50) along with passengers and cargo weights as you calculate.

I pull a 25' Tri-toon pontoon (3,200lbs+-) with a 225hp (600lbs), aluminum trailer w/ surge disc brakes (1,700lbs +-), 20 gal fuel (112lbs), gear (200lbs+-)= 5,800lbs+- total. The X7 pulls it fine. Like a box trailer, a pontoon boat is not exactly aerodynamic. However, due to the X7's air suspension, it rides better towing than my 2018 F-150 3.5 eco boost. The eco boost is more powerful and pulls better though. Both capable.

Going deeper on RV thing here, if you want to grab a cup of coffee. I've been doing some research on RV trailers recently. I've been considering unloading the F-150 for something smaller and hoping the X7 can fill in for a future RV or larger boat purchase. Sadly, I think a truck will still be needed (TBD).

Remember, the GVWR of an RV trailer is the important number. It's the max load the trailer can carry (options, water, propane, generator, bikes, grill, food, cloths, etc…), but just as important is the LOADED trailer's tongue weight!

Pay attention to the weight sticker on that particular trailer on the dealer's lot and the manufacturer's spec sheet, which can still be misleading. Probably not to the salesman, or advertisements, or hype in the manufacturer's brochure or RV shows! I'm sure there may be an honest and knowledgeable salesman out there to help (good luck), but I've found most to be just uninformed. Others, total BS artists.

Real example and my test of a sales guy. "My car can tow 7,500lbs max, can I tow this?" "It only weighs 6,300lbs", says the salesman with a major national dealer. Nope, 7,995lbs GVWR with a dry tongue weight of 604lbs. How many trailers has this guy dangerously sold to uninformed buyers? Within 5 minutes he lied. I walked.

Sadly, the RV industry often misleads when speaking of or advertising a trailer's weight. They usually mention the unloaded (UVW) or dry weight with NO options, liquids or gear and not the GVWR, per my examples above and below.

Note, the weight sticker on the trailer is the actual dry weight of that particular trailer with factory installed options at the plant and weighed at the plant at shipping. Anything added at the dealer is not accounted for on that sticker (i.e. dealer added solar panels, spare tires, grill, tv's, etc.).

The tongue weights in RV specs can be way off too once options, gear and liquids are accounted for (i.e. trailer balance). From my research, the X7's max tongue weight of 606lbs will be the limiting factor vs. the GVWR of many RV trailers in 22'-26' range.

No, weight distribution hitches do not change the towing vehicle's tongue weight limitations. It only transfers some of the trailer's tongue weight to the front axle for better weight distribution. Wish it helped.

For example, Intech RV's 26' Terra (very nice and the one I'm leaning towards) is advertised as a 5,650lbs-5,850lbs trailer right on the trailer's first page on their website. I got excited. But, when I dug into the specs, the GVWR is actually 7,500lbs. Ok, at the limit, but still sounds doable for the X7, right? Nope, the tongue weight in the specs is 725lbs-790lbs DRY! What the specified tongue weight doesn't tell you is what the actual tongue weight is when the water tank and propane tanks are filled and all gear loaded. I don't mean to pick on Intech, this is common in the industry.

I've seen You Tube videos of owners who weighed their tongue's using a tongue scale after the trailer is loaded and the weights were much more than the RV's spec'd tongue weight. In some cases, just filling the water tank impacted the tongue weight negatively. FYI, tongue weight should not be more than 10%-15% of the trailer's GVWR. If you think you are close, ask the dealer to fill the water and propane tanks, add a generator and get a tongue weight before you sign any papers. While your still missing all your gear, it might help. I would hope a solid dealer would do this.

I find this lack of transparency and dishonesty in the RV industry to be both frustrating and, quite frankly nefarious, negligent and probably dealer driven to make a sale. Sell the trailer and let the owner find out latter their vehicle is overloaded vs. telling the owner their vehicle cannot pull it and loose a sale, or downsize the trailer, or postpone a sale while the owner gets a better tow vehicle. Shame.

Ha ha, this is a BMW board, right? Sorry. Good luck, y'all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
cncmastr1579.00
gpitts247.00
      06-10-2021, 09:23 PM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbomb View Post
The factory hitch option may include an added transmission cooler and/or bigger rear brakes. Not sure.
3AC factory trailer hitch upgrades the front and rear discs from: front 348x36 + rear 345x24 to front 374x36 + rear 370x24.

Detailed in my post:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27286813

X7 xDrive40i standard brakes uses same specs as X5 xDrive40i with 3rd row option: Fixed 4 piston front 348x36 + rear 345x24, lightweight ventilated

X7 xDrive40i with Towing package or MY19-20 xDrive50i uses same specs as X5 40i with Towing or MY19-20 X5 xDrive50i front calipers and discs but with equivalent sized 2NH rear discs: Fixed 4 piston front 374x36 + rear 370x24, lightweight ventilated

X7 xDrive40i / MY19-20 xDrive50i with 2NH uses same specs as X5s optioned with 2NH M Sport brakes: Fixed 4 piston front 395x36 + rear 370x24, lightweight ventilated

X7 M50i are equipped with equivalent M Performance Brake Kit as standard without punched disc holes: Fixed 4 piston front 395x36 + rear 398x28, ventilated

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
michiganave
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7, B8, GT4, Raptor

We have a new X7 M50i. We went with a Stealth Hitch with wiring instead of ordering the factory hitch to retain the kick to open feature. We are planning our first trip with towing a light RV (4251lb dry, 5726lb GVW, dry hitch weight 446lb). I noticed the manual limits to 5952lb not 7507lb without the factory hitch and ended up at this thread. We are still under those limits, but I wish I had realized the limitations before going aftermarket. I was planning on getting a Curt Echo wireless brake controller.

1. I already have the larger brakes with the M50i so that isn't a limitation?
2. I guess the lower weight limit for aftermarket is due to not having a transmission cooler? Anything else?
3. I don't see trailer mode in iDrive. Can that be coded? Is it a big deal?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
paffinity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganave View Post
We have a new X7 M50i. We went with a Stealth Hitch with wiring instead of ordering the factory hitch to retain the kick to open feature. We are planning our first trip with towing a light RV (4251lb dry, 5726lb GVW, dry hitch weight 446lb). I noticed the manual limits to 5952lb not 7507lb without the factory hitch and ended up at this thread. We are still under those limits, but I wish I had realized the limitations before going aftermarket. I was planning on getting a Curt Echo wireless brake controller.

2. I guess the lower weight limit for aftermarket is due to not having a transmission cooler? Anything else?

Thanks
I'm also confused about the tow ratings. From the stealth hitch website it advertised tow rating of 8000lbs, but would towing capacity still be limited to what's in the manual?

I have an X7 40i, but have the M Sport brakes (w/ DHP), so I assume that's as good if not better than what would have come with the towing package.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #5
djbonsu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 05' L322 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganave View Post

Thanks

Im no expert but considering an X7 with no hitch would have the smaller OE non-msport rotors (all calipers are the same size whether mpsort or not) from the factory that is my guess on why the rating drops so much when adding an aftermarket hitch. If you have the m50i msport brakes (bigger rotors) then you technically may have the same tow rating? Aside from the trailer coding and the SAME hitch mounting points, i dont see what else could be the limiting factor(s) My $.02
2020 X7 xDrive40i Mineral White//Ivory White Full Merino//Piano Black Trim//Cold Weather//Driving Assistance//Luxury Seating// Executive//Style 755-22" Y-Spoke Wheels//Space Saver Spare//Leather Dash//Ambient Air//Harmon Kardon//Extended Shadowline//Alcantara Headliner//
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbonsu View Post
Im no expert but considering an X7 with no hitch would have the smaller OE non-msport rotors (all calipers are the same size whether mpsort or not) from the factory that is my guess on why the rating drops so much when adding an aftermarket hitch. If you have the m50i msport brakes (bigger rotors) then you technically may have the same tow rating? Aside from the trailer coding and the SAME hitch mounting points, i dont see what else could be the limiting factor(s) My $.02
If you get the factory tow hitch you get an extra radiator. It's either used as a oil cooler or transmission fluid cooler. That extra cooler could mean the difference of the engine/transmission over heating with the higher weight or not.
Appreciate 1
djbonsu113.00
      10-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #7
Splatt115
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

My BMW can tow 0 lbs as it is the only vehicle I have that my trailer lights won't work with. Throws an error code every time. Glad I paid for this tow package.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 11:22 PM   #8
JVZanetti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX

Garage List
2024 BMW iX  [0.00]
2021 BMW X7M50  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Towing Uhaul 6x12 cargo trailer

Hi there, I am a beginner in towing and plan a trip with a 6x12 Uhaul cargo trailer on the X7 factory hitch.

Some questions for the Uhaul trailer and the X7
1. Measured 18 inches hitch height from the ground and per Uhaul their trailer 19-21 inches depends loading so I should get a ball mount with 1-2" rise? How strict is the level requirement or ok for 1-2" difference?
2. The trailer comes with a surge brake. Can I reverse to my driveway? I asked if the surge brake has reverse solenoid but the Uhaul agent had no idea
3. Any setting on the X7 other than the trailer mode? The trailer mode deactivates sensors. Does that change the setting for engine/transmission?
4. Will the air suspension auto level based on hitch height or when too much pressure on the rear axle? The trailer will be less than 4500lb when loaded but just curious if the a/s has this feature
Any contribution appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 11:49 PM   #9
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

1. Ignore
2. You can reverse
3. You don't need to choose any mode. The vehicle will know about the trailer is you plug in the trailer lights.
4. It will autolevel based on the position of the chasis, similar way it autolevels with cargo and passengers in the car.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2022, 12:56 AM   #10
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
1. Ignore
2. You can reverse
3. You don't need to choose any mode. The vehicle will know about the trailer is you plug in the trailer lights.
4. It will autolevel based on the position of the chasis, similar way it autolevels with cargo and passengers in the car.
You can use adaptive cruise but it will not use lane assist with a trailer. You need to manually select the modes as the default has lane assist turned on.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 12:05 PM   #11
JVZanetti
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX

Garage List
2024 BMW iX  [0.00]
2021 BMW X7M50  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
[QUOTE=bono;28588568]
[QUOTE=PNWM3;28588662]
Thanks both of youGlad to know that the plan would work
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 09:01 AM   #12
WhereItsAt
Constantly Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four Wheels

You made need one of these:

Trailer Connector Adapter w/ Lamp-Out Sensor Bypass - 7-Way RV to 7-Way RV - Vehicle End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatt115 View Post
My BMW can tow 0 lbs as it is the only vehicle I have that my trailer lights won't work with. Throws an error code every time. Glad I paid for this tow package.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 09:03 AM   #13
Calper
Rep
Drives: 2023 bmw x7 m60i

Garage List
2023 bmw x7 m60i  [10.00]
I just bought a 2023 x7 m60i with the factory hitch. However, I wonder if the extra towing capacity makes any difference since the tongue weight remains the same(besides cooling etc).
In other words, will I ever be able to tow something that is is 7000 lbs ? .. since the 10% would be 700lbs (tongue weight), which is over the 606lbs max acceptable tongue weight on the vehicle. Or are there scenarios where the tongue weight is lesser than 10% of tow weight?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 09:19 AM   #14
sharp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calper View Post
I just bought a 2023 x7 m60i with the factory hitch. However, I wonder if the extra towing capacity makes any difference since the tongue weight remains the same(besides cooling etc).
In other words, will I ever be able to tow something that is is 7000 lbs ? .. since the 10% would be 700lbs (tongue weight), which is over the 606lbs max acceptable tongue weight on the vehicle. Or are there scenarios where the tongue weight is lesser than 10% of tow weight?
Towing is a pretty complex topic. You'll need to consider multiple factors when choosing a trailer. Tongue weights is just one of them and is usually a limiting factor.

You can tow something that is 7000lbs IF its tongue weight is less than 600lbs. There are definitely travel or boat trailers with this weight ratio, but they're less common.

Keep in mind that tongue weight increases as you add load to the trailer. So if you see a trailer with, let's say, 600lb tongue weight and then you add more load to the trailer, the tongue weight will increase overloading the car. On top of that all passengers and cargo add to the car's load as well and there is a limit of how much total weight the car can handle. So please choose your trailer wisely to make sure you and other drivers are safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 01:16 AM   #15
PinkNinja400Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calper View Post
will I ever be able to tow something that is is 7000 lbs ? .. since the 10% would be 700lbs (tongue weight), which is over the 606lbs max acceptable tongue weight on the vehicle. Or are there scenarios where the tongue weight is lesser than 10% of tow weight?
The purpose of higher tongue weight is to get better high speed stability. The europeans use low tongue weight (mid-low single digit %s) but they also have a pretty strict cap on trailer speed limits, I think something like 55mph? Conversely, if you're going to be towing at 120mph you'd probably want to raise that tongue weight up past 10%.

But if you're not going to be driving fast, then yes you could use that extra capacity while keeping the tongue weight below 606lb.

I don't know what exactly the max safe speed for each tongue weight % is. 10-15% is the general TW recommended for Americans. The only point of reference I have is that my Civic handled a 700lb (loaded) motorcycle trailer very well @ 13% TW and 80mph (I think 87mph was the max I hit momentarily, it was still very stable).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 09:33 AM   #16
bono
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

Higher tongue weight won't help with 120 mph when towing.
Appreciate 0