BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2021, 06:31 AM   #1
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

stop start issue ! a bit scary/dangerous

over the last week while stoped at the lights the car has turned itself off as usuall, then out of the blue it restarts itself. ( i know it can do this if your stationery for some time), this isn't the problem as what happens next is it starts to move off.

Literary sat waiting for the lights to change a the car has fired up and started to move forward. I'm not touching anything. (apart from the brake very quickly, and scaring the crap out of my misses who told me off for scaring her),

Just to clarify it does not shoot off, it starts to creep forward as if you had just lifted your foot off the brake in drive, if i was close to another car and it took me a second to realise what was happening i could go into someone.

Obviously as its in stop start mode its in drive while stationary not park. what normally happens auto hold is on and continues to do so until the throttle is pressed.

I am going to see if i can replicate/observe all circumstances again before possibly getting it to a dealer, My foot is just going to be hovering over the brake pedal for the foreseeable future

Car is a UK 30d MHT. so a different system to most of the US member's (you cannot turn off MHT stop start)

only thing different last week is car was warmer and i suspect AC was on.

anyone else come across this ? Thoughts ?

Last edited by plagm; 06-14-2021 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:45 AM   #2
MR645
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, Cadillac ATS-V,

Should have started as soon as your foot left the brake pedal
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #3
huggy509
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40d

Do you have auto hand brake on ?
Appreciate 1
xylodan27.00
      06-14-2021, 07:01 AM   #4
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

car auto holds when you come to a stop and always has.

MR645 with auto hold and Stop start on a MHT you would have taken your foot off the brake pedal as soon as you had stopped, i would not of been resting my foot on the brake pedal. It should only move off when the throttle is pressed whether its running or not.

engine does not/should not start when take your foot off the brake pedal
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #5
NoMoreVauxhalls
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagm View Post
engine does not/should not start when take your foot off the brake pedal
Start/Stop feature on my 3.0d G01 does this. As soon as I remove my foot from the brake pedal, the engine restarts immediately...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Wrangler

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
I'm assuming you use the auto hold/hand brake option.

With that assumption in mind, the last 3 loaner cars all acted as you describe where the auto-hold is released when the engine fires up. This makes me think it's not a system to be relied upon.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #7
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Just so I understand - are you using auto-hold and having your foot on the brake at the same time?
      06-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #8
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
So you did not have your foot on the brake when stopped at the light? The idea is when the light turns green, you take the foot off, and the car restarts and off you go.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #9
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Sounds like user error
      06-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #10
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Not using ASS for quiet some time (it's off). When I came to a stop, Auto Hold is on, my foot of the brake. Car won't move until I press the gas pedal. I vaguely remember it working like this even with ASS on, but maybe I don't remember correctly.
Per the user manual, it should work like it does in mine.
Attached Images

06-14-2021, 12:42 PM   #11
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Not using ASS for quiet some time (it's off). When I came to a stop, Auto Hold is on, my foot of the brake. Car won't move until I press the gas pedal. I vaguely remember it working like this even with ASS on, but maybe I don't remember correctly.
Per the user manual, it should work like it does in mine.
Correct. My car works exactly like this.
On the 3 loaners I've had in the past couple months, they all malfunctioned in the way the OP has described.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:51 PM   #12
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

What's the problem with holding the brake down at a stoplight?
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #13
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i did warn that i would get different responses for our US members as the Stop start system is different

MHT you cannot turn it off, and it often even turns the engine off as you roll to a stop, once stopped the auto hold activates and you take your foot off the brake, this does not turn the engine back on. Only touching the throttle does or the car does because of battery needs (it should not then engage drive)

We also use our brakes differently when at the lights, (out driving test insists on it, (well it did when i did mine 30 years ago) from memory you would fail a driving test if you sat on the brake pedal at the lights here in the uk) ie you have to put in park or neutral and apply parking/hand brake.

I would never sit with my foot on the brake pedal at the lights as this i not needed as the auto hold is engaged and its unpleasant for the person behind you, it not something we generaly do in the uk, prior to this car you would apply the parking brake and put car in N.

This is how we are taught in the UK , ie not sit on the foot brake while waiting at the lights etc, (not to be confused with holding the car temporarily on the foot brake while trying to exit a junction, ie when you expect it to be for a short duration)

I have driven the car for 5 months, I stop at the lights the auto brake applies, engine may be off or on depending on stop start needs. when i wish to move away i touch the throttle, the auto hold disengages and off we go. my foot has not been on the brake pedal since i came to a halt.

Once stopped at the lights if you choose to sit at the lights with the engine off (stop/start active) and your foot on the brake pedal, simply taking your foot off the brake pedal would not start the engine, touching the throttle does.

My problem is sitting at the lights.stop /start in action, auto hold on, engine off, AC on so high load, car decides engine need to be restarted while waiting. Nothing should happen but the car has been moving as if i had touched the throttle. so obviously auto hold is coming off and car starts to creep.

I don't think anyone who does not have MHT stop start can probably appreciated the issue fully and we have a slightly different driving behaviour when stopped in the uk vs the US.

This would not seem to happen or be a problem in the US as a few of you have mentioned you have your size 10's firmly planted on the big pedal
Appreciate 2
xylodan27.00
mathys202.50
      06-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #14
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
i did warn that i would get different responses for our US members as the Stop start system is different

MHT you cannot turn it off, and it often even turns the engine off as you roll to a stop, once stopped the auto hold activates and you take your foot off the brake, this does not turn the engine back on. Only touching the throttle does or the car does because of battery needs (it should not then engage drive)

We also use our brakes differently when at the lights, (out driving test insists on it, (well it did when i did mine 30 years ago) from memory you would fail a driving test if you sat on the brake pedal at the lights here in the uk) ie you have to put in park or neutral and apply parking/hand brake.

I would never sit with my foot on the brake pedal at the lights as this i not needed as the auto hold is engaged and its unpleasant for the person behind you, it not something we generaly do in the uk, prior to this car you would apply the parking brake and put car in N.

This is how we are taught in the UK , ie not sit on the foot brake while waiting at the lights etc, (not to be confused with holding the car temporarily on the foot brake while trying to exit a junction, ie when you expect it to be for a short duration)

I have driven the car for 5 months, I stop at the lights the auto brake applies, engine may be off or on depending on stop start needs. when i wish to move away i touch the throttle, the auto hold disengages and off we go. my foot has not been on the brake pedal since i came to a halt.

Once stopped at the lights if you choose to sit at the lights with the engine off (stop/start active) and your foot on the brake pedal, simply taking your foot off the brake pedal would not start the engine, touching the throttle does.

My problem is sitting at the lights.stop /start in action, auto hold on, engine off, AC on so high load, car decides engine need to be restarted while waiting. Nothing should happen but the car has been moving as if i had touched the throttle. so obviously auto hold is coming off and car starts to creep.

I don't think anyone who does not have MHT stop start can probably appreciated the issue fully and we have a slightly different driving behaviour when stopped in the uk vs the US.

This would not seem to happen or be a problem in the US as a few of you have mentioned you have your size 10's firmly planted on the big pedal
Interesting, I had no idea across the pond that blinding the driver behind with the brake lights is not acceptable. Just shows how rude we are over here.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #15
xylodan
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2016 R1200GS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
No problem, but if you're using auto stop/start the driving experience is better and smoother with the auto-hold feature.

Also, as a dr. friend pointed out that this is really great for someone who may be prone to seizures or narcolepsy. Rare cases indeed, but to those drivers (and those around them) this is really quite the feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #16
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
I suggest to visit a dealer. Don't have a MHT engine, but I highly doubt that a car with auto hold activated should disengage it a start to move without drivers input.
plagm120.00
      06-14-2021, 03:48 PM   #17
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylodan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
No problem, but if you're using auto stop/start the driving experience is better and smoother with the auto-hold feature.

Also, as a dr. friend pointed out that this is really great for someone who may be prone to seizures or narcolepsy. Rare cases indeed, but to those drivers (and those around them) this is really quite the feature.
Autohold always activate the brake lights. I tried to put the car in N at stop lights - they were still on.
      06-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #18
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:

Wow, learning something new every day. Well, thanks for that info.

But if you think about it logically, does this seem like the right way? In automatic cars, one foot is permanently doing nothing. The other foot should be on the accelerator or brakes. Doesn't that simplify things. Putting in neutral and hand brakes at every intersection seems excessive. I would be scared to trust any system except "putting my foot in the brake" but this is what I am used to. But I'm not suggesting you should change any process. It does look like the auto hold should work in your scenario.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 04:15 PM   #19
mathys
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 - G01 - F56

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
I suggest to visit a dealer. Don't have a MHT engine, but I highly doubt that a car with auto hold activated should disengage it a start to move without drivers input.
Couldn't agree more!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:36 PM   #20
MediaMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0dM, Phytonic Blue

What's MHT?

When I stop in traffic, my X3 has 'Auto Hold' permanently on, and on braking to a stand I keep my foot on the brake pedal, and I can feel a slight change of pressure under my foot so know brakes are on, then engine stops as stop/start kicks in. Foot is then removed from the brake.

On wanting to move, the lightest touch on the accelerator restarts the car, and off we go - slowly.

I also had a Qashqai with a manual box, and the principles of it working with the autohold were similar, it restarted when the clutch was pressed to engine first gear.

Sounds to me the OP does not have auto hold on all the while.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #21
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:

Yikes. Thanks but no thanks.
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2021, 09:00 PM   #22
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
The auto-hold in the UK is permanently on and does not turn on the brake lights when stopped? Interesting. Anyway, I actually did understand your description in your first post - and my experience is with auto-hold on, the car will not move until I tap on the gas - even if, for example, my start/stop is engaged (meaning engine is off).

Normally, as you said, the engine will start again on its own OR if the car in front of you has started to move forward, but I don't recall if that happened with Auto Hold on and if that would disengage Auto-Hold. If it does, I think that would be a flaw. Probably best ot check with the dealer.

I actually do recall the whole putting it into N while stopped but this wouldn't turn off the brake lights if your foot was on the brake, an auto-hold will also turn on the brake lights when you are stopped. I actually prefer it this way. If I am the last car in a line of cars, I would rather have my brake lights on to make sure any approaching cars will know I am braked.
Appreciate 0