E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > I phone does it connect?

11-09-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
philg
the car washer
Rep
Drives: 320

Garage List
I phone does it connect?

i have not long now had my e90, i asked a few questions when i purchased it on here, I have an aux in socket in the armrest, i was told you can plug in an i pod via a lead i would also need to purchase.

Well I'm due for a phone upgrade soon and was wondering if the i phone will work the same way? I can use it as a phone then plug it into my aux in and use as a hard drive player for all my mp3s.

Am i correct in thinking this and is there anything else i should know or need to buy?

Phil
      11-09-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Not exactly sure but for the iPhone won't you need the 6NF option?
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

As a phone there are some issues with its compatibility with BMW bluetooth, though there are some fixes (mine now works fine with my 06 330d with prof nav and BT - full syncing etc). There still seem to be issues with BT with Prof radio only. More detail here...

http://blog.scoopz.com/2008/10/11/fi...synchronising/

As a media player you can connect an iPhone via the USB/6FL (which should enable control via the radio or idrive) - but I have no experience of this.

You can also just connect it via the AUX - which is what I do (no USB/6FL option) and it works fine. I did this via a Kensington LiquidAux, which also
a) charges the phone
b) has a remote which allows you to shuffle, select next / last track and pause etc.

I also fitted a "straight through" Brodit holder - not needed but this allowed me to plug in the Kensington cable into the back of the holder and simply slide the iPhone in and out of the cradle - which I carefully screwed to the blank bluetooth snap in adapter (on the basis it would then be secure, but I can get a new snap in adapter for pennies to put the car back to stock with no screw holes etc.). This was important to me so you just slot in the phone when you get in - no messing with cables, plus its not visible. The advantage of this approach is that you can use the iphone as both a phone and ipod - if you buy the actual BMW snap in adapter I don't think you can use the iphone as an ipod, as you can't connect the 6FL or an aux out (I'm pretty sure this is right, but could be wrong)

I just taped the Kensington remote behind the central idrive buttons on the centre console - not ideal as I'd rather hide them, but its neat enough and functional.

(Nice wheels by the way - how much, are you on runflats or planning to change to normal tyres? I thinking the same, maybe with 225s, but also like 230s)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 05:51 AM   #4
dbramley
320d M-Sport
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320si

liking the sound of the Kensington LiquidAux - does the charger fit OK under the armrest so you can close the arm rest lid?
      11-09-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
I have the 6FL USB socket (and also the 6NF, but I am not sure what this does).

I have concluded that it is easier to put a 16GB USB stick and load the mp3s onto the stick, rather than use the iPhone mp3 playing abilities if I haven't loaded the mp3s into the car's hard drive.

When I did use the iPhone for music, I used the Y adapter which plugs into the USB and 3.5mm jack, but the iPhone needed to be in play mode for this to work.

Configuration now is 16GB memory stick plugged into the USB socket and I use the cigar lighter socket to charge the iPhone if it needs charge.

I rely on the bluetooth connection which has always worked perfectly since rel 2.0 of the iPhone software except for text messages that do not synch to the car.
      11-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #6
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you only have the aux input you can use any mp3 player, ipod or iphone by plugging in with a dual ended 3.5mm phono cable. This will play only and all play controls need to be from the ipod. If you have Bluetooth then the phone will be controlled by the car buttons via the radio but not the music element of the iphone. You cannot connect music through Bluetooth. Only through aux input or the usb connector if you have the 6FL option.

There are several ipod/iphone car integration kits around for better connectivity. Have a look at www.ilounge.com for everything ipod for more info on these kits.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
steph.uk
325D E92
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325D Coupe M Sport

Hi Phil

Got a E92 with the 6FL option. My Iphone does not connect, the device is not recognized.

Spoke to BMW about this and it might just be a software update within the car. I haven't had a chance to go back to BMW with my phone details (model and version) so do not know as off yet if the software update does work or not.

My others Ipod (60gb and 2 gb) do work though.

Hope that's help

Steph
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

This is the kensington & brodit fitted in my 330d. It fits no problem and the armrest closes (I would take a photo with the iphone in place, but I'm using that as the camera...)

The kensington cable (which you would normally fit straight into the iphone), just plugs into the back of the brodit, which has its own connector to go into the iphone - this ensure its slides in snugly and you don't have to worry about sloppy tolerances (you can buy a cheaper brodit that just has a hole for the connector, but I was worried the fit and tolerances would make this work poorly in practice, and need fiddling to ensure a good connection).

I fitted the kensington remote here (infront of armrest, behind idrive wheel), but you could also hide it behind the wheel etc. (its RF so no wires) as it style does not match BMW interior that well. It works however so you don't need to see the iphone to control the music. You don't have to put the iphone in any mode, though if you select a playlist it will stick within it - if you just press play without doing anything to the iphone it will just start anywhere in your music collection. Sometimes it won't respond immediately to the remote when you plug into the car, but after 30 secs or so of initiatialising it responds with no user action at all.

The phone copes fine with being both a phone and ipod - it fades out the music when a call is incoming, as it does when you initiate a call from the cars steering wheel buttons or by voice control.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
philg
the car washer
Rep
Drives: 320

Garage List
Wow great response guys, Thanks for the comment on my wheels, they are run flats, i got them from bm autosport, really good tyres and refurbed to. They cost me £1200, alot i know but they look like new.

So from what i have read, the i phone should work fine, it will plug in via a jack plug, but i will have to skip tracks via the phone, or i get one of those stations and control the tracks via the little pad.

Is that all right? sorry im no techno wizard.

phil